Passwords for family using Apple (at home) & at work using Windows PC

Options
saloschin
saloschin
Community Member

Hi,
1Password sounds great - reading the reviews. A couple of questions:
1. Is there a family licence, as I need to share passwords, for joint sites, with my wife?
2. We use a variety of Apple products, including an AirMac, iMac, iPads, Macbook Pro, and iPhones, (of course!). Will 1Password sync with all of these?
3. At work we use Windows computers. Is it possible to have manually assigned passwords for sites that I need to access from my work PC?

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @saloschin‌

1. We used to have a family licence but have now simplified the options. I think quoting our licence page is the best way to try and keep it clear.

Our software is licensed per person and per platform, not per device. Each user and each platform requires a license. Licenses can be shared by up to six family members living in the same household.

So You and your wife can share a licence between the two of you although any licence purchased directly from AgileBits will only cover Macs and Windows (depending on which licence you purchase).

1. The two main ways of syncing vaults are Dropbox and iCloud. If you want to sync via iCloud it's a bit more messy now given Apple's decision to limit iCloud Drive & CloudKit to Yosemite and iOS 8 (and then only via purchases made via Apple) and of course iCloud will only let you sync between Apple devices. Dropbox will let you pretty much sync all devices. To better understand it might prove useful if you can say what versions of OS X and iOS you would want to sync between and if you also would want to sync with the Windows machine.
    2. I'm not entirely sure what you mean here - sorry. While long, complex, unqiue, random, computer-generated passwords are ideal you certainly aren't forced to only use these - we just strongly recommend them for any web site where somebody could be attempting to log in as you or has a hash of your password and is trying to break it. Above all 1Password is a password manager. It will store any password you ask it to. Now it may point out that your password sucks in terms of password strength but it won't force you to use a stronger one. Did I understand what you were asking?

Lets say you want to sync all your Apple devices and the Windows machine too. You'd probably want to look at our Mac + Windows bundle purchased direct from us and because of the Windows machine you'd need to sync via Dropbox. 1Password 5 for iOS is a free app now although some premium features are locked behind an in-app purchase. 1Password 5 for iOS though will only run on iOS 8 so hopefully all your iOS devices are rocking Apple's current OS. Normally you can download previous versions if the most current version of an app won't work on your version of iOS but some changes to how 1Password 5 is sold have blocked that I believe. I'll get back to you on that part once I can get some confirmation.

If you have more questions or my answers are terrible then post back here and I or somebody else from AgileBits will endeavour to assist :smile:

This discussion has been closed.