1P 4 on Macs and 1P 5 on iOS? [resolved]

Options
Alphaman
Alphaman
Community Member
edited November 2014 in Mac

I've got 3 Macs, one running ML, one Mavericks, and one Yosemite. Because of the older versions of OS X, I'm running 1P v4 and using Dropbox sync.

I've also got 2 iOS devices running iOS 8.1 and 1P v5.

Up until 7 days ago, things seemed to be in sync. Now, I see the iOS devices claiming that the last sync was done 7 days ago, and I've not been able to get them to sync again.

The Macs stay in sync, with updates happening within seconds.

Why can't my iOS devices sync anymore? Is there an issue between 1P4 and 1P5?

Thanks for any tips or suggestions.

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Alphaman,

Dropbox sync should work just fine between 1Password 4 and 1Password 5. I've got a few basic things that we want to check regarding Dropbox first, before we get into the serious troubleshooting:

• Please ensure that Dropbox is installed and running on your computer
    • Check that you are logged in with the same account on all computers and devices
    • Confirm that Dropbox sync is selected in 1Password > Preferences > Sync on your Mac
    • Confirm that Dropbox is selected in Settings > Sync on your iOS device

If all of those items check out, let's run a test and see where things are getting tripped up:

• Create a test entry on your Mac ("Test, Mac") and add some data
    • Create a test entry on each of your iOS devices ("Test, iPhone/iPad") and add some data
    • Does "Test for Mac" show up on either of your iOS devices?
    • Does "Test for iPhone" and/or "Test for iPad" show up on your Mac?
    • Log in to the Dropbox website and click on the 1Password.html file inside your 1Password.agilekeychain folder
    • Enter your Master Password
    • Do either or any of your test entries show up in your database here?

Please let me know the results of this little experiment - once we have a better idea of where things are going sideways, we should be able to get this straightened out simply for you :)

• Alphaman
    Alphaman
    Community Member
    edited October 2014
    Options

Hi Megan,

Ok, bullets 1-4 are all checked.

Doing your test scenarios, I get the following results.

1. Mac note created, Dropbox indicated it was syncing 2 files, completed. Shows up in 1PasswordAnyWhere, not on iOS.

2. iPhone note created, and then the fun started...

I realized at this point that I'd turned off Dropbox syncing after I'd posted my original note here, to make sure that any other testing that I did would not corrupt my main data store on Dropbox. So, I turned syncing back on, went through the process of identifying the correct vault, acknowledged that the local and remote vaults were out of sync (99.6% the same), and when it went to do the actual merge, 1P came back with the following error:

Failed to list remote data folder in Dropbox. Please try again later.
    Path: /Apps/1Password.agilekeychain/data/default/

Might this be because I moved the 1Password.agilekeychain from the root level of my Dropbox to the /Apps subdirectory? The time of that change may very well coincide with when my iOS devices stopped syncing, but I can't say for certain (as the only indication I got the syncing was not working was when I saw that the iPhone and iPad had not synced in over a week.)

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Alphaman,

Moving the 1Password.agilekeychain to another location in Dropbox is ok as long as you disable Dropbox sync in 1Password on all devices/computers first (and then re-enable Dropbox sync after moving the keychain file). It's possible that had something to do with the initial sync problem, but re-enabling Dropbox sync should work.

That error message means 1Password cannot communicate with Dropbox. It could be due to a firewall blocking Dropbox, or maybe a general connection issue on the iPhone. Please make sure your iPhone currently has a working internet connection, and try again to set up Dropbox sync.

If you still get that error, it may help to follow these steps:

• Open the 1Password app on your iPhone.
    • Double-click the Home button and swipe up on 1Password to close it.
    • Restart your iPhone (hold down the power button for a few seconds and "slide to power off", then turn it back on again).

Does that help at all, or do you still get the same error?

• Alphaman
    Alphaman
    Community Member
    Options

I tried your tips, and 1P on my iPad crashed when it started to sync.

I disconnected all my devices from Dropbox, then went and reconnected them one at a time. First, my Mac Mini running Yosemite. Then my MB running ML. Next, my iPad. All looked good for on the iPad, with the right number of items in the database, and updated entries from the Mini showing up. I waited until it stabilized, then launched it on my iPhone. It started syncing; I opened the iPad app to the sync prefs to watch the counts.
    Then the dreaded red text appeared, "Failed to delete remote path." The app shortly after that crashed.

Then the iPhone got the dreaded "Failed to delete remote path." The app has not crashed. (Update: it finally got around to crashing.)

The iOS devices are showing 707 items; OS X is showing 705 items.

I've disabled sync on the 2 iOS devices to see if they'll run without crashing; about 5 minutes so far, and it appears stable enough for read-only use.
    And I've noticed now that while the original numbers looked correct, a new entry that came from one of the iOS devices was sync'd between the 2 iOS devices, but it never appeared on OS X.

I am totally befuddled...

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Alphaman‌

Let's take a closer look at your system to see where things are getting tangled up.

I'd like to ask you to create some Diagnostics Reports, one from each of your devices.

—Mac—
    https://guides.agilebits.com/kb/1password4/en/topic/diagnostics-report#mac4

—iOS—
    https://guides.agilebits.com/kb/1password4/en/topic/diagnostics-report#ios4

Then attach the entire file to an email to us: support+forum@agilebits.com

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report in our inbox.

A short note here once you've sent the Report in will help us to keep an eye out for it. :)

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks in advance!

• Alphaman
    Alphaman
    Community Member
    Options

Hi,

I've sent the logs -- sorry for the delay, let me know if you need anything more.

Aaron

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Alphaman,

We've received your Diagnostics Report - thanks for sending it in! I've updated the email thread with the necessary details from this forum discussion so that it is easier for our support team to get up to speed with the issue. Someone from the support team will get back to you as soon as possible with some further information. We'll keep the conversation going directly via email to avoid complicating things between here and there. :)

ref: FIU-53836-373

• Alphaman
    Alphaman
    Community Member
    Options

For the record, AgileBits walked me through the steps to fix my problem. I'm now syncing through DropBox with 2 different versions of 1Password on 2 different platforms without any problems.

Thanks to @Megan‌ and @Drew_AG for their help!

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

You're most welcome, @Alphaman, on behalf of @Megan‌ and @Drew_AG. Thanks for your followup here!

Not that you have this issue nicely sorted out I'll close this discussion. If anything else comes up that we can help you with please feel free to start a new topic or email us directly at support@agilebits.com and we'll take care of you. :)

This discussion has been closed.