2 different versions on 2 different Macs

Options
elvishpotter
elvishpotter
Community Member

I have 1 password 4 on my macbook, and use the app on my iphone 6 plus constantly. I just decided I would like to also install it on my old imac desktop (which is primarily used by my husband), so that my husband and I can have all our macs and both our phones with all the info we need. Problem is, my old desktop imac cannot support the newest OS, nor the newest version of 1 password, so I had to download 1 password 3. I need to know what the best course of action is, so that I can get all my data that is already on my iphone and my macbook, onto this old version of 1 password.

Comments

• elvishpotter
    elvishpotter
    Community Member
    Options

I have my macbook and iphone (with version 4) syncing through the cloud. Do I need to switch everything to syncing in dropbox instead? I have not even opened version 3 on the desktop imac yet, because I assume I will need to change some settings on the macbook and iphone first.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2014
    Options

Hi @elvishpotter‌

Apologies for taking so long to get back to you.

You're correct in your evaluation of the situation. To keep all devices in sync you won't be able to use iCloud. However, as long as you don't mind changing sync methods and trying Dropbox you can keep all three devices constantly in sync.

• Disable sync on both of your devices
    • Set up syncing on your Mac with this guide.
    • Set up syncing on your iPhone with this guide.

For 1Password 3 on your old Mac I'm copying an extract from our 1Password 3 guide on syncing.

Connecting Other Macs
    To configure 1Password on your other Macs:
    Set up Dropbox on them using the steps above
    Make sure you have the latest version of 1Password installed and running
    Locate your 1Password.agilekeychain file in your Dropbox folder (it’s probably in the very top level of the folder). If it has a green check mark badge, the sync is complete and you can continue. If it has a blue sync badge, you must wait until the badge is a green check mark before proceeding. Failure to do so could result in data corruption
    Double click the 1Password.agilekeychain file, and 1Password will confirm that you want to use it.
    After clicking Yes to confirm, 1Password will configure itself to use this new data file. Since the data file is monitored by Dropbox, any change you make to your data file will be automatically synchronized to all your other Macs. 1Password and its browser extensions will detect these changes and automatically reload the data file, allowing completely automatic and seamless syncing.

You will need a licence key to use 1Password 3 as how we authenticate licences was changed between versions 3 & 4/5. Now if you purchased directly from us then post here telling us that and we can get you sorted out easily (assuming you used the same email address for the forums as you did your purchase). If you purchased from Apple's Mac App Store then we have no record of your purchase as Apple doesn't share that kind of information. It isn't insurmountable though, what you'd want to do is email support+forum@agilebits.com with your Apple receipt for 1Password and request a 1Password 3 licence, referencing this thread too if you could.

If you have any questions or I've not covered something to your satisfaction then please do post back here and we'll do our best to get you sorted out.

This discussion has been closed.