Both 3.8.21 and 5.0.2 versions installed, can I uninstall old one?

Options
hecnet
hecnet
Community Member

Good afternoon, for some reason I have both v.3.8.21 and v.5.0.2 installed in my Mac. Can I safely uninstall the old version? There are a lot of files that show up when I use my uninstaller (e.g. AppCleaner, CleanMyMac2, etc). I just want to make sure I do not ruin my v.5.0.2 installation. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated. Best to all, Hector

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

The easiest and simplest way to un-install version 3 is simply to drag the app to the trash—without using any app cleaner tool. It is much safer not to use an app cleaner tool because they sometimes enthusiastically throw out the baby with the bath water and you may find your 1P5 installation is damaged.

Once you've deleted version 3 safely, and if you're bothered by its "remains", someone here will be able to tell you exactly what to do finally to dispose of those remains.

Stephen

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @hecnet‌

Stephen_C is on the button with this one, we don't recommend App cleaners as they could potentially delete your vault and you really don't want that.

Simply dragging 1Password 3 to your Trash will remove the program. If you want to clean up your Application Support folder then it'd probably be advisable to be careful so it would probably help to know if you are running the web store version (when you purchase directly from us) or the MAS version (when you purchase from Apple's Mac App Store).

This discussion has been closed.