iPhone 6 Wi-fi sync issue

Options
discop1
discop1
Community Member

Hi,

I can't sync my iPhone 6 (iOS 8.1) over Wi-fi, neither with my MacBook nor with my iMac both running OS X 10.10. Syncing my iPad Air (iOS 8.1) with both computers is no problem. I'm using the newest version of 1password 5 on all of my devices.

On my iPhone I see the computer in the sync list, but in contrast to my iPad the little icon on the left side of the computer name is missing.
IP address and port of the computer are shown correctly but after the message "syncing started" nothings happening, except for a time-out.

I tried a couple of things including the following, but nothing helped:

• Deleted 1password data on the iPhone
  • Deleted 1password completely from the iPhone

Any idea what I can try next?

In the meantime I restored a backup from one of my computers via iTunes which worked flawless.

Regards

Comments

• MikeT
    edited October 2014
    Options

Hi @discop1,

Have you rebooted your iPhone to see if that'll fix the issue? We've seen many issues like yours that were fixed simply by rebooting the iPhone. We found the issue to be related to iOS 8's networking stack as it may be a bit unstable. It is improved in 8.1 but not entirely.

• discop1
    discop1
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Mike,

I've rebooted my iPhone several times, but the problem remains.

Regards

• discop1
    discop1
    Community Member
    Options

in addition I also reset the iOS network settings, also without success.

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

Are your Mac computer names more than 25 characters long? (OS X Settings > Sharing) People have reported a problem with wifi sync if that is case and it seems to be sorted by shortening the relevant computer name.

I'm not sure if this will help you but I mention it only because it seems to have helped others get wifi sync working.

Stephen

• discop1
    discop1
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Stephen,

my computer names are shorter than 25 characters. I tried every hint I found in this forum, but nothing helped so far.

Regards

• Meezer
    Meezer
    Community Member
    Options

Hi,

I have exactly the same issue. I can wi-fi sync a MacBook Pro (10.10) with my iPad 3 but not my iPhone 6, both of which are running iOS 8.1. Tried everything mentioned so far. The "sync start" message appears , but it times out.

Thanks

• Ben
    Options

Hi folks,

If you have verified your computer name is short (less than 25 characters), please try an ad hoc network:

Thanks.

Ben

• Meezer
    Meezer
    Community Member
    Options

Won't sync over ad hoc network. Message on iPhone 6"..."the operation couldn't be completed. Bad file descriptor" however I went back to my local wi-fi on the Mac right after and clicked sync on the iPhone 6. It asked me for the master password on the Mac. Once I entered it, the iPhone 6 sync'ed. I have no idea why. I then waited a minute, tried to sync again and it times out.

• @Meezer, what happens if you unlock your vault using your Master Password on your Mac before you attempt to sync your iPhone? Will it work then?

• Meezer
    Meezer
    Community Member
    Options

The sequence doesn't seem to matter. At one point all 3 (MacBook - iPad - iPhone) were syncing, then I powered them all off and on at which point nothing syncs. The iPhone says "Computer not found" while the iPad starts syncing as soon as the wi-fi is enabled on the MacBook, but then just times out and the "sync now" button appears again. If this is just me having problems with IOS 8.1 and 10.10 let me know and I'll stop cluttering up the forum.

• Ben
    Options

Hi @Meezer‌

Could you please send us a diagnostic report from each of your involved devices?

https://guides.agilebits.com/kb/1password4/en/topic/diagnostics-report

Then attach the entire file to an email to us: support+forum@agilebits.com

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report in our inbox.

A short note here once you've sent the Report in will help us to keep an eye out for it. :)

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks in advance!

• discop1
    discop1
    Community Member
    Options

Hi,

my problem is gone after I installed the last updates of 1password both on my Mac and my iPhone.

Regards.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @discop1, thanks for letting us know it's working for you now! :smiley:

• GertO
    GertO
    Community Member
    Options

I had same problem. Iphone (6) not syncing with iMac. Problem for me was that i had changed the Master password on the iMac. iPhone was still on old master password en wouldn't sync (no error but "synchronising...." keeps on running without result). After i changed the Master password on the iPhone to same Master password on iMac the sync was done in seconds.
    Hope this helps other people with same problem.

• MikeT
    edited November 2014
    Options

Hi @GertO,

Thanks for updating us on how you got it fixed.

[Updated] I just tested this and can reproduce it, we'll have this fixed ASAP.

Thanks again!

• Meezer
    Meezer
    Community Member
    Options

After resetting my router and all the network settings on my macbook pro, windows and iOS devices, glaring at the screens for a while and ignoring this issue for two weeks, everything now works like a charm. No idea what was wrong or what fixed it. I have been an eWallet user for more than 10 years and still can't get it to sync since iOS 8 and OS X 10.10 so I am now transitioning over to your product, which I prefer anyways. Thanks for the great tech support and suggestions.

• Ben
    Options

Thank for the update @Meezer. Glad to hear it is working now!

This discussion has been closed.