Compatibility question [Resolved]

Options
PR1
PR1
Community Member
edited November 2014 in Mac

I'm still using 3.8.22 on my Mac - will that continue to sync nicely with my iDevices if I upgrade them to the ios8 version?

Thanks

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Yep. iCloud is the only sync method affected by iOS 8 (and the forthcoming Yosemite). But iCloud sync was only introduced in 1Password 4, so it won't affect you if you're using 1Password 3.

That said, there is a whole lot of awesome in 1Password 4 (even apart from syncing):

http://blog.agilebits.com/2013/10/03/1password-4-for-mac-is-here/

And if you upgrade to 1Password 4 for Mac now, you'll get the next big update that's compatible with Yosemite free. Great now. Greater later. :)

• PR1
    PR1
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks. I do love your product but I think I've spent more on it over the last few years, between Mac and iDevices, than practically any other app so I think I'll stick with what I have for now so long as it continues to work!

• Ledgem
    Ledgem
    Community Member
    Options

Khad, I just wanted to verify something about the iCloud sync issue. Is it the case that the sync isn't working regardless of whether the user upgrades to iCloud Drive? I've installed iOS 8 on all my i-deivces and updates 1Password, but since I'm on OS X 10.9 I neglected to upgrade iCloud Drive at this time. In theory, that means the Mac and the iOS devices all still have access to iCloud. It sounds as if 1Password 5 for iOS has lost compatibility with the old iCloud, and can only use iCloud Drive... is that right? In other words, until I upgrade to iCloud Drive, my iOS devices will not only be incapable of syncing through iCloud with 1Password on my Mac, but with each other?

I'm aware that Dropbox or Wifi syncing are alternate options at this time; just curious about iCloud syncing.

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

There is a detailed, and rather helpful, post from AgileBits about iCloud sync here in the iOS forum, which may help resolve some of the understandable confusion.

Stephen

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Is it the case that the sync isn't working regardless of whether the user upgrades to iCloud Drive?

That's correct. 1Password 5 for iOS uses CloudKit APIs which require iCloud Drive, but iCloud Drive is not yet available on the Mac, so iCloud syncing is not available between 1Password 5 for iOS and 1Password 4 for Mac. It will be supported (via iCloud Drive) once 1Password 5 for Mac ships (which requires Yosemite).

For complete details, please see:

iCloud in 1Password 5 FAQ

If you have any other questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to let us know.

Cheers! :)

• PR1
    PR1
    Community Member
    Options

Following up on my original question - still (!) using 3.8.22 on my Mac, will wifi sync work with my iPhone if I upgrade that to v5? Thanks

• Hi @PR1,

No, Wi-Fi sync is not compatible between 1Password 3 and 1Password 5. If you want to sync between v3 and v5, you need to use Dropbox sync.

Please let us know if you have any other questions. We're always happy to help!

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @PR1,

I apologize for the misunderstanding here. The post you reference is talking about 1Password 3 for iOS, not Mac. You should be able to sync just fine with Dropbox using 1Password 3 for Mac and 1Password 5 for iOS. :)

If you do hit any snags, we're here to help!

• PR1
    PR1
    Community Member
    Options

OK, it did say that in the heading but I was confused and wanted to be sure, so I'll give it a try. Thanks

• Ben
    Options

Please let us know if you have any difficulties. :)

• PR1
    PR1
    Community Member
    Options

So I've tried changing the settings on my phone and it just won't log in to DropBox - keeps giving me an error message (at the bottom of the screen it says "Error: (null)"). At first I thought it was the 2-factor authentication setting I had for DB so I disabled that. And I've tried the password in a web browser and it works fine. What do you suggest? Thanks

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @PR1‌

The first thing worth maybe trying is to completely close down 1Password and seeing if that helps (using the double tap on the home button to bring up the process list and swiping up to close). If that doesn't, it's possibly worth rebooting your iPhone too.

My last suggestion if those two fail you. There are two ways to access your Dropbox storage on your iPhone. One is directly via 1Password for iOS but there is another route where if you have the Dropbox app on your phone, it can give 1Password permission. How would you feel about this alternative route? A while back there were a couple of threads about two factor authentication and the users' trouble with the Dropbox web page interface if you tried to log into Dropbox directly from 1Password. Turns out there was just one item too many requiring copying and pasting (assuming your Dropbox password is something you need 1Password to remember). The trick it seemed was to use the Dropbox app as you could quickly jump between it, 1Password and your app for the authentication code. Each time I suggested it the users walked away content.

Hopefully one of those three suggestions I've offered up gets you syncing! If not please do post back here.

• PR1
    PR1
    Community Member
    Options

Hi, I've tried rebooting the phone and the problem remains. I don't follow what you mean by your other suggestion - I've disabled 2-factor as I said, so that's not it, and I don't see anything in the dropbox app on the phone (which I do have) to specifically allow 1P access. Note the problem isn't in accessing DropBox from the 1P browser, it's in the sync settings inside 1P for switching from wifi to DB syncing. So thanks but any other ideas?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @PR1‌,

Could you explain in a bit more detail the steps that you are taking, and where things are getting tangled up? If you do have the Dropbox app installed on your iOS device (as @littlebobbytables‌ suggests) the process should be simple. We have a guide to walk you through the process: Sync with Dropbox. Please note that you can only have one sync enabled at a time, so you will need to disable Wi-Fi sync in order to use Dropbox.

If you're getting an error message while following these steps, I'd love to see a screenshot of it. There are instructions on how to take a screenshot here: http://take-a-screenshot.org/. Simply click the document button in the top of the comment field, and select the file you wish to share:

• PR1
    PR1
    Community Member
    Options

I'm following all the instructions in the app (remember I'm using v4 on my iphone so the instructions in the link you provided don't apply exactly) - going into More-Settings-Sync, choosing DB sync and opting to use DB sync not wifi when prompted, then entering my master pssword and then my DB name and password, which is where I get the error. I will email you a screen shot if you provide me an address but I don't want to attach it since it has my email address in it and I'm not sure who else would be able to see the screen shot.

I did try setting up DB sync in v5 too on my phone, and as you know it's a very different process from in v4. To begin with, the DropBox app does ask for permission as part of the process, which does not happen in my case in v4 - this may be the key to the problem I am experiencing but I don't know what to do to make the DB app ask. I would have been happy to stay with v5 but unfortunately it crashed every time I got to the actual syncing stage so I had to revert to v4!! I'm beginning to think the advantage of TouchID aren't worth the hassle.

Also, since I had begun the switch to DB syncing in my Mac 1P, how do I revert to wifi syncing there? The program is asking me to pick another file other than the one in DB, but where is the 1P data file stored?

Thanks

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Your situation is puzzling @PR1‌

I went as far as trashing my copy of 1Password for iOS and bouncing between 4.5.3 and 5.1 and I'm actually finding the reverse to some of your findings. Regardless of whether I authenticate using the Dropbox app or via the web page displayed in 1Password, as soon as I go to to locate the agilekeychains present, 4.5.3 crashes on me every time. It doesn't matter if I'm starting as a new user or trying to synchronise a secondary vault. What it will do though is it will swap me to the Dropbox app to ask if 1Password is authorised to access its data.

1Password 5.1 on the other hand works. I didn't try it via the web page, just by authorising it via the app but each time it worked with no issues. Mostly that was as a new user because I was deleting and adding the app to the phone every few minutes.

If you reverted to 1Password 4 then I'm guessing you've kept the .ipa file safe somewhere. I'm guessing if you've reverted that means you've been deleting 1Password completely from your phone and that it has no vault to worry about losing. If I'm correct in those assumptions then it won't do any harm to try deleting 1Password completely from your iPhone, rebooting it and then try 1Password 5.1 again - see if Dropbox works any better this time.

If that doesn't work and you want to disable Dropbox syncing in 1Password 3 then I believe this is what you will want to do. Unlike 1Password 4 & 5, when you sync 1Password 3 with Dropbox it moves your entire keychain to Dropbox (4 & 5 make create a keychain purely for the purposes of synchronisation, leaving the encrypted database untouched). So with 1Password 3 closed, I'd recommend copying your agilekeychain to ~/Library/Application Support/1Password/ as that's the default location. Launch 1Password 3 and point it to this keychain. After you've done that you can remove the keychain from Dropbox.

The problem is you won't be able to synchronise either 1Password 4 or 5 for iOS with Wi-Fi syncing if you're running 1Password 3 on your Mac. Your only option is Dropbox. The lack of options is really just between 1Password 3 and newer because so much has been re-written from scratch. Sometimes to improve you have to be willing to depart from the past and that's 1Password 4.

• PR1
    PR1
    Community Member
    Options

Success! I think I must have had a bad v5 that I was using to install on my phone. I did a fresh download from the App store and now DB sync is working. Don't know why v4 kept giving me the error but don't care at this point. Woohoo!

Couple more questions however:

1. I tried putting the keychain file into a folder ("1P") inside DropBox rather than having it just sit there alone (where I might accidentally delete it). I reset the Mac to use that file for syncing, and the phone app was able to find that DB file too (ie it showed both and I was able to select that one rather than the original one outside the 1P folder.) But when it tried syncing, it said there was no file to sync with.
    2. My wife uses the same 1P keychain but a different DropBox. Can I use a symlink to replicate the keychain in her DB and sync her phone to that? And if symlinks don't work, then I go back to my first question because putting the keychain in a shared DB folder and syncing the phones to that would be a solution.

Thanks again

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @PR1‌

I'm going to work backwards and start with question two first. You can share a folder between Dropbox users but you can't share a single file. One more gotcha, you can't share a folder that's inside a folder you are already sharing. This is why it's recommended to keep each secondary vault in its own folder and each at the same hierarchical level as the others so you can share each one separately. Here's a link to Dropbox's page on sharing folders. Of course you don't have to worry about that if you're just wanting to share a primary vault between the two of you (secondary vaults are only available if you're using 1Password 4 or higher on your Mac).

As for the first question (which because of the answer above is definitely needed now). Can I clarify, both 1Password 3 for Mac and 1Password 5 for iOS claim they're pointing at the new located keychain but just 1Password 5 for iOS was claiming there was no file to sync with, is that correct? If 1Password 3 for Mac is claiming it is successfully synchronising can we do a quick check to ensure it is. Can you create a test item and give it a moment to sync, then via the Dropbox web page can you use 1PasswordAnywhere and see if the new item is present. If it is then we know the problem seems to be isolated to your iOS device.

Assuming there is no data present only on your iOS device (so the Dropbox keychain represents a complete set of data). It could be worth trying the Erase Data and Settings option in Settings > Advanced and going through the steps as a new user once more, see if that makes it play ball.

I'm sorry you've had these troubles. With a little luck once you've got it syncing smoothly it'll just keep ticking along :smile:

At least we're making progress.

• PR1
    PR1
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the detailed answer! Before I mess around with this any further, now that I have things working on my phone (it actually stopped syncing and I had to reset everything once already to get it working again so I want to be clear before I risk it), let me just be sure I get how you recommend that I share a primary vault. If I can get syncing working with the keychain inside a folder inside DB, do I just put the keychain inside the folder I share with my wife in DB and we both sync to that keychain file (in which case I wouldn't need a symlink I suppose)?

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @PR1‌
    I'm not an expert by any means when it comes to Dropbox but yes, my understanding is there isn't a way to share a single file with read/write access. The most granular option is to share a folder, meaning all contents of that folder are accessible by each person you share it with. I know of symlinks in terms of local filesystems but I don't know it in terms of Dropbox.

So if you create a folder and can successfully synchronise your devices with a keychain inside of it then sharing that keychain with your wife's Dropbox should be simplicity itself.

I know it probably doesn't seem like it right now but normally synchronising a vault isn't so hit and miss.

If you have any concerns, first copy your agilekeychain file somewhere safe so you know you always have another copy and then work on getting 1Password 3 for Mac to sync first with the new location. Once it is doing that, remove any other copy of your keychain from Dropbox and then sync your iOS device.

Hopefully you'll be reporting back with good news.

• PR1
    PR1
    Community Member
    Options

Amazingly (or not - you guys obviously know what you're talking about, I just had temporary gremlins in my system), everything working fine now, including on my wife's phone through a shared folder. Thanks again!

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @PR1,

I'm so glad to hear that everything is working for you finally! Thanks for your patience as we worked to find a solution.

Since this issue is resolved, I'll close this thread, but if you have any further questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to open a new thread, or email us directly at support@agilebits.com - we're here for you. :)

This discussion has been closed.