Future features

Options
rctneil
rctneil
Community Member

Hey,

Now that the latest updates to 1Password have shipped, are we going to start seeing progress on new features that we were all told would have to wait until after the updates shipped?

I posted a lot of features that could be useful before the updates. Are we going to start hearing news about new stuff?

Main one for me that I would LOVE to see is a feature that would allow 1Password to totally match a feature that LastPass has had for ages. Custom form fields.

When a login item is saved from a site you can see all the extra fields it saves, their id/name, type of input element and value to fill it on with. This seems to be half way there already and just needs a little expansion.

Just allow us to add custom fields to ANY item of ANY type and with ANY value. I know this is more of an advanced usecase but being able to dig into the source code of a page, find the elements and be able to add them manually to any item for it to work on more complex pages would be amazing.

For example, to log into my online banking page takes a 3 page/step process. When I used Lastpass, I set up 1 item called "Lloyds Online" and then inspected each input element I needed to save, added the appropriate fields using their id/name, set the type (text, radio, etc) and entered my value.

Then to use it, I access the first page, ran the item, it filled in what it could, submitted to step 2, ran the item again, submitted to step 3, ran it again, entered a manual code for security and submitted and I was in. Super easy and all details stored in ONE item.

Any thoughts?

Neil

Comments

• Hi @rctneil‌,

We can't talk about specifics on the roadmap, but that certainly sounds like a neat idea.

Rick

• rctneil
    rctneil
    Community Member
    Options

I don't mean to sound rude here but that didn't quite answer what I asked.

• Ben
    Options

Sorry we can't be more specific @rctneil. In general we don't discuss timelines or future features.

In short:

Are we going to start hearing news about new stuff?

Yes, but likely not until it is completed.

We do appreciate the feedback, and take every feature suggestion into consideration. Unfortunately we can't make promises about them. :)

• rctneil
    rctneil
    Community Member
    Options

I understand that but you ask for peoples suggestions but you don't hear if any of these suggestions are in the pipeline therefore there isn't much benefit in suggesting them apart from the minor hope that we may see them one day. I do software development myself so I understand how much work goes into writing good and developing good software but a brief roadmap would be very nice for your users (especially the ones who take their time to post the suggestions on your forum).

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @rctneil,

Since you're in software development, I'm sure you are more than familiar with this, but I just want to explain the reasons behind our "we'll tell you all about it once it's ready!" philosophy. There are a lot of factors involved when developing new features; not all of these factors can be foreseen, or worked-around. We'd hate to promise something that ultimately became impossible due to factors beyond our control. It just doesn't seem like a nice way to do business, to get our users excited about a feature and then not be able to implement it. So we choose to under-promise and strive to over-deliver.

As has been mentioned above, we really do appreciate your feedback, and we do listen to each and every suggestion. Because we're still a relatively small team, the day often isn't long enough to implement all of the cool stuff that we'd like to, but we're doing what we can to put as many awesome user suggestions into 1Password as possible.

Keep the feedback coming - we'll be sure to yell it from the rooftops when we get the next cool feature finished!

This discussion has been closed.