Sync Advice

Options
RPM
RPM
Community Member

Running 1P 4.4.3 on Mac 10.9.5, iOS 8.1. Sync via Dropbox. **Sync to iOS not working.**
1P Prefs says: "Last synced: 2 minutes ago". Dropbox/1Password.agilekeychain says: "October 8, 2014".
Where do I begin troubleshooting?

Comments

• Rad
    Rad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @RPM,

I'm sorry to hear that you are experiencing sync issues.

First, let's make sure that both 1Password for Mac and 1Password for iOS use the same 1Password agile keychain file.

Then, let's make sure that you're using the latest version (5.1.2) of 1Password for iOS, as we fixed a Dropbox sync bug very similar to the one that you're having.

Please let us know if this helps.

Cheers!

Rad

• RPM
    RPM
    Community Member
    Options

Using same Agile Keychain file: Sorry, but I don't know how to do that. In iOS there are many long code entries; in Dropbox, only see "1Password.agilekeychain".
    Latest version for iOS: Sorry, but I don't know where to find a version number for 1P on my iPad.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @RPM

To find out what version of 1Password for iOS you are running simply go into Settings, scroll to the bottom of that page and just above Advanced it will tell you what version you are running. For example on mine it says:

Version 5.1.2 App Store ratings are reset with every new version of 1Password.

To check and see if both copies are using the same agilekeychain will require inspecting the sync location on both copies of 1Password.

On your Mac it will be in the Sync tab of 1Password's preferences. If it doesn't show you a path to a agilekeychain like the image below then your Mac isn't syncing with Dropbox

On your iOS device you will want to go to Settings > Vaults and touch the blue i to the right hand side. The top line should say Sync Service Dropbox > and if you select that line the next page should show you the path in Dropbox as well as the name of the vault (like the screenshot below)

So what Rad is looking for is to establish that both copies are trying to sync to the same keychain and then to establish you're not running a version with a particular bug.

Report back here and we'll do our best to sort this out for you :smile:

• RPM
    RPM
    Community Member
    Options

I must be having a really bad day!
    1. Finding out what version of 1P for iOS -- You say "...go into Settings, scroll to the bottom of that page..." What page? Which tab in the left sidebar is selected to produce the 1P version info? My "1Password" tab only produces one setting, "Background App Refresh" on/off.
    2. Checking agilekeychain -- No problem locating into in 1P desktop, looks like your screenshot. But for iOS you refer to "Settings > Vaults" and there is no such thing, at least on my iPad running 8.1. Where do I find "Vaults"?

Either (a) I am very dense, (b) there's something horribly wrong with my iPad Air, or (c) or you guys need to do a better job of heeding the warning: "Traffic signs unfortunately tend to be designed by people who already know where they're going"!!

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @RPM‌

That's my fault. I missed where you said iPad and 1Password looks differently depending if you're running on an iPhone or an iPad. If you'd been using an iPhone you'd hopefully have found those steps reasonable (I know, not much help eh?)

In 1Password, do you see the little cog at the bottom of the grey sidebar on the left hand side? That cog is to enter the settings of 1Password. That Settings page will hopefully look a little like this.

I'm sorry, I just can't find an iPad image and I don't own an iPad myself - it's on the to-do list to better improve my ability to support people like your good self.

Just under the Recommend 1Password is where it ought to show you the version, assuming the iPad view reflects that of the iPhone and hopefully at the top of that list is the Vaults settings I was referring to.

Does that better guide you on your iPad?

• RPM
    RPM
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for restoring my sync capabilities, Bobby (and my sanity!). Question: Do my 1P settings get wiped out when there's an iOS upgrade?

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @RPM I'm so glad to hear it's working again, especially after my confusing advice regarding your iOS device. Please know that improving the guides with more images of iPad layouts has been added to the wanted list.

Neither an iOS update nor a 1Password update should be harming your 1Password settings but sometimes things can go wrong. For that reason I'd always suggest making sure iTunes has a full backup of your device before starting anything you're worried about. In the past I've heard of iOS devices misbehaving after an update and a factory reset followed by fresh install of the update required to get it to work as it should. It isn't what Apple want you to be having to do, it's just sometimes even computers can have brain farts.

This discussion has been closed.