Ok to delete 1Password 3 Agent?

Options
fdlbt
fdlbt
Community Member

Hi! I've upgraded from 1Password 3 to 1Password 4 back when it was released and everything is working fine.

I believe I deleted 1Password 3 around the same time, but I'm noticing that the 1Password 3 Agent still launches automatically at startup and occasionally pops-up an old-style notification about having backed up the keychain. The user/Library/Application Support/1Password folder is still there and the 1PasswordAgent.app is in there along with a a folder containing all the backups. There's a separate 1Password4 folder under Application Support which has its own set of backups.

Am I safe to just delete the 1Password 3 Application Support folder, or is there any reason for me to keep that stuff around and running? Also, did something go wrong during the upgrade, or does everyone else still have the old 1PasswordAgent running in the background? Not that I'm concerned that it's doing anything bad, just assuming the upgrade process should have disabled it. Maybe I didn't follow instructions correctly?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @fdlbt‌

Thanks for taking the time to write in, and for your support of 1Password! Since you've been using 1Password 4 for a while now and it has had time to create a good stack of backups for you, you can remove the 1Password 3 Application Support folder, and the 1Password 3 Agent.

Because the Agent is stored in a different location than the main app, it was not removed when you deleted the 1Password 3 app after upgrading.

I hope this gets you all sorted out, but we're here if you have any further questions or concerns!

• dpolzine
    dpolzine
    Community Member
    Options

So I suspect the 3.8.21 1PasswordAgent is the same item that tripped Yosemite Setup's "1Password is not compatible and has been disabled" notification. So I go to ~/Library/Application Support and see 1 1Password related folders "1Passwd" which appears to have my original licenses to much older version from 2008, "1Password" which has the 1PasswordAgent app, but also backups from as recently as yesterday and are 10x larger than backups in the third folder, "1Password 4,". I threw the 1Password folder away and emptied the trash and 1Password 5 seems to continue to work okay, though oddly I find no folders associated with 1Password 5 in the Application Support folder. Can you fill me in what I should have, where, and what I can toss? Thanks!

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @dpolzine‌

It depends on where you purchased 1Password 4/5 from. Here are the two locations for your files

AgileBits store version: ~/Library/Application Support/1Password 4 (1Password 5 stores them in the same place)

Mac App Store version: ~/Library/Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper

It might not do any harm just to double check in 1Password's preferences that you do have backups being created (you can see the list in the Backup tab).

This discussion has been closed.