1Password5 not syncing

Options
Harvdog
Harvdog
Community Member

I have been using 1Password with my Mac for 3 years now and never really bothered with syncing, until recently when i bought an iPad and iPhone. I have updated to 1Password 5 on all of my devices (including a Macbook Pro) with little success in syncing them all together. Originally I began with Dropbox and then switch to iCloud with little difference. If I add a new login account or simply change the password on an existing account the changes fail to show-up on other devices or my laptop. Should I delete everything and reinstall 1Password 5 onto each device? Will I lose all of my passwords? (I think YES). And finally and probably most important do I need to use a different APP on IOS8 than on Yosemite? Computing would be so much easier if everything synced.

Harvey

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Harvdog‌

I'm sorry to hear you're having to fight with sync services.

So just to confirm; you are running iOS 8 and Yosemite on all devices and on top of that you have 1Password 5 on all of them. One important question is did you purchase 1Password from Apple's MAS (Mac App Store) or direct from AgileBits? This is important because iCloud support is now limited only to applications purchased via Apple's MAS. So if you have purchased 1Password direct from us then iCloud won't be an available option.

Regardless of where you purchased it though Dropbox should be a viable option.

So the first thing to do is disable sync on all devices. Having done that if you're running the MAS version of 1Password then I'd recommend the Reset iCloud Data option that you can find in Help > Troubleshooting. That will wipe the sync data from iCloud - each local vault will remain untouched.

Next I'd check out your Dropbox storage and remove any .agilekeychain files from there. Your Dropbox space should be visible from within Finder and a sanity check is to check via Dropbox's website that there isn't a copy there.

Now you need to pick which service you want to use. Dropbox has the advantage that it is platform agnostic and if you have multiple vaults then you'll be using Dropbox anyway (secondary vaults are currently only supported when syncing with Dropbox).

So we now have a clean slate (sync wise) to work from. As it sounds like both of your iOS devices don't have any data on them I'm going to work with that assumption. If I'm wrong skip everything below this and post back to this thread to say what the state of play is in terms of devices and passwords stored.

So, assuming all passwords are on your Mac and the goal is to sync your primary vault with your empty iOS devices.

If you want to sync using Dropbox then starting with your Mac follow this guide. All going well we'll start on the first of your iOS devices. I said earlier I was going to assume there wasn't any data you needed to save on your iOS devices. If you when you start 1Password for iOS you don't get the welcome screen then we're going to clear whatever is on it so you can start afresh. Go into Settings > Advanced and select Erase Data and Settings. Then you'll want to follow the this guide to sync your iOS device with Dropbox. Assuming everything is still going well simply repeat for your other iOS devices.

If you want to sync via iCloud the only difference is to follow this guide for setting up iCloud sync on your Mac. The guide for iOS has links for each of the sync methods.

Post back here if an assumption I've made is incorrect or something isn't working quite right and we'll get you sorted out.

• Plato
    Plato
    Community Member
    Options

I had the same issue when I first installed 1Password. I'm uncertain why my solution worked but I turned the sync off and back on again on each of my devices and, since then, all has been OK. Incidentally, I'm using iCloud.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Plato‌

What's true of computers can sometimes be true for something like sync services.

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

• Harvdog
    Harvdog
    Community Member
    Options

I've been a 1Password user for 2+ years. May be my fault but it has never lived up to expectations for me. Updated to v.5 and have it on my iMac (base), laptop, iPad and iPhone. Syncing has NEVER, NEVER, NEVER worked. Tried Dropbox (seem to work for a bit) then iCloud , since I have a subscription and there is pretty of room there. . . . . nothing is working. I add new logins, delete old logins and check later on other devices and .....no change. I have over 200 logins and would like to start over. Read your Knowledge Base on doing just that with 2 concerns . . . 1) 200 logins lost ouch. and 2)not sure if I bought it directly from Agilebits or the Apple Store . . . does not show in my APPS purchases.

Another question: Did I go horribly wrong when I installed 1Password for Mac on my iPhone and iPad? Do I need to remove that too?

Sorry for throwing so much at you, but I really want this to work on all 4 devices and also feel safe from ID thief. Please advise.

Sitting by,

Harvey

PS....I am up to date with Yosemite and IOS8

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Harvdog‌

I've merged your two threads as they related to the same issue.

Have you had a chance to look at my response to your original post at all? If you have any questions from what I've written or anything isn't explained in enough detail please post back here and we'll do our best to get you sorted out.

• Harvdog
    Harvdog
    Community Member
    Options

Thank You for your timely reply and help. I am 95% sure that I purchased it on the agile bits website. I do have apps on both my iPhone and iPad for 1Password . . . should I delete these as well as the application on my macbook before I do anything? I am thinking that there ay be dropbox/ iCloud files there as well. Should I check there and delete any files?

The only reason I have a second Vault is because I thought i might save my Primary vault there; my second vault is actually empty.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Harvdog,

Using the email address that you have attached to your forum account, I was able to locate a user account with a license for 1Password 5. So, unless you have a duplicate copy from the Mac App Store, it looks like you purchased directly from us - thanks for your support! :) I'm re-sending the licensing details to you, just in case you need them.

If you are using the webstore version of 1Password 5 on your Mac, iCloud sync will be unavailable, as @littlebobbytables‌ mentions above, so we'll want to ensure that Dropbox is working correctly.

I don't think we need to reinstall 1Password on all your devices, but let's get a better idea of where things are at right now:

• Please ensure that Dropbox is installed and running on your computer
    • Check that you are logged in with the same account on all computers and devices
    • Confirm that Dropbox sync is selected in 1Password > Preferences > Sync on your Mac
    • Confirm that Dropbox is selected in Settings > Sync on your iOS device

If all of those items check out, let's run a test and see where things are getting tripped up:

• Create a test entry on your Mac ("Test, Mac") and add some data
    • Create a test entry on each of your iOS devices ("Test, iPhone/iPad") and add some data
    • Does "Test for Mac" show up on either of your iOS devices?
    • Does "Test for iPhone" and/or "Test for iPad" show up on your Mac?
    • Log in to the Dropbox website and click on the 1Password.html file inside your 1Password.agilekeychain folder
    • Enter your Master Password
    • Do either or any of your test entries show up in your database here?

Please let me know the results of this little experiment - once we have a better idea of where things are going sideways, we should be able to get this straightened out simply for you :)

ref: 231204

• Harvdog
    Harvdog
    Community Member
    Options

EUREKA!!!! It's all good.....thanks to you both. Followed your instructions and they were just what I needed. Your little experiment (Megan) worked on all of my devises. One last question: I want to redo all of my passwords (some are terrible because I didn't trust 1Password) . . . . What is the best way of generating a new password for old sites?

Thanks again for your knowledge and your time.

Harvey B.

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

There's a very useful knowledge base article on changing a saved password which you should find very helpful.

Stephen

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Harvdog‌

After completing the steps in the guide linked by Stephen_C, you can reassure yourself by checking the entry in 1Password. The new password should be stored, the old one will have been kept too (visible if you click on the show previously used passwords button) and until you overwrite it, the password will also be in your clipboard on that machine. When it comes to something like ensuring any new password has been saved correctly I can fully understand wanting to be sure.

This discussion has been closed.