Sync 4 devices w/Dropbox?

Options
kappabear
kappabear
Community Member

Hi there,

I'm trying to figure out the best way to sync my 4 devices - Home computer (running Yosemite & 1P v5.0.2), Work computer (running Mavericks 10.9.5, 1P v4.4.3), iPhone & iPad (running 1P v5.1.2). I can't use Dropbox at work.

I was thinking that I could use Dropbox with my Home computer, the iPad & iPhone, and then do a wifi sync with the work computer, but I can't seem to get all of that work properly. Maybe I'm missing something? Any other suggestions on how to keep the 4 devices, and 2 vaults in sync?

Thanks!

Comments

• Hi @kappabear,

I wouldn't recommend the dropbox+wifi solution you've described as it would require that you take one of the iOS devices and switch it from dropbox to Wi-Fi sync every time you want to push data to the work computer. Switching sync solutions on the fly is technically supported, but makes it much more likely that you'll run into conflicts in syncing. Not to mention the fact that it's a pain.

Unfortunately iCloud won't be an option as you've got a mix of v4 and v5 devices and those won't cooperate there.

Is there another Dropbox-like sync solution that you could use on the Work Mac? Something like OneDrive or equivalent? If so, you could setup that Mac to sync via FolderSync to (say) OneDrive. Then setup the Home machine to also sync via OneDrive. If you only had 1 vault you could then use Wi-Fi sync from the home Mac to the iOS devices, as secondary vaults aren't (yet) synced via Wi-Fi (it's enabled in the Mac/5.1 Betas). You could alternatively switch that mac between syncing its vaults with OneDrive and Dropbox (switching between 2 agilekeychains should work better than agilekeychain/Wi-Fi, but still not ideal) to get the data to the iOS devices via Dropbox.

My recommended solution would probably be (Work Mac, One Drive) <-> (Home Mac, One Drive) <-> (iPhone,iPad, Wi-Fi). Then, for the time being, I'd make sure that items that I want access to on my iOS devices are in the Primary vault.

I hope this helps.

Rick

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @kappabear‌

The no access to Dropbox at work is a bummer. If you had that you'd have been fine (as you already knew).

We could explore a route of using Wi-Fi sync but I'm wondering what you think of this alternative suggestion? It depends on how often you change passwords at work or it's pretty much a one way sync you're looking for (so all password changes and additions are typically made on one of your iOS devices or your home computer).

Keep using Dropbox which will keep your home computer and your two iOS devices in sync.

While you can't use the Dropbox client on your work computer can you access the Dropbox website? I'm thinking what you could do with the work computer is use Folder Sync and synchronise to a location on your hard drive and then simply copy the Dropbox keychain to there every so often to keep your work computer up to date. If not via the Dropbox web site then maybe sneaker net, bring the keychain in on a pen drive.

I only suggest that as I think to use a combination of Wi-Fi and Dropbox might require enabling and disabling sync repeatedly on one of your iOS devices - I don't own enough toys just yet to try it out here.

Let me know what you think of that. If you prefer the idea of Wi-Fi we can explore that route.

• kappabear
    kappabear
    Community Member
    Options

I'm re-imaging my work Mac to Yosemite, which will allow me to use iCloud for syncing ... I hope! I think this will ultimately be the easiest solution, that will allow me to remain with in the company parameters. Being that I'm in the InfoSec department, I figure I should eat my own dog food! ;)

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @kappabear‌ Just so you don't get any surprises afterwards, where did you purchase 1Password from? If you purchased it from Apple's MAS then you're fine - nothing to worry about. If you purchased it from us I'm afraid iCloud syncing won't be available to you. We have an announcement on this but the short story is iCloud sync in the web store worked but was unofficial and as of Yosemite Apple is enforcing restrictions to iCloud frameworks to applications purchased from their store. I hope that doesn't turn out to be a bump in your plans.

This discussion has been closed.