1Password won't start [moved to email; suggested reinstalling app]

Options
Shane Mecklenburger
Shane Mecklenburger
Community Member
edited December 2014 in Mac

I get this error message every time I try to start 1Password. I've tried restarting numerous times.

Comments

• Shane Mecklenburger
    Shane Mecklenburger
    Community Member
    edited November 2014
    Options

"1Password failed to connect to 1Password mini
    "Please restart 1Password. If this does not help, please contact AgileBits support."

Is there even any email support?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Shane Mecklenburger

I'm sorry to hear that you're having trouble here! We see this message when something is blocking communication between the main app and 1Password mini.

Please ensure that you do not have any firewalls, proxies or anti-virus software that might be interfering here. If you do, please ensure that the local host (127.0.0.1) is allowed. This should get things behaving better for you!

• Shane Mecklenburger
    Shane Mecklenburger
    Community Member
    edited November 2014
    Options

Hi. Thanks for responding. I don't have any of that.

• Shane Mecklenburger
    Options

Any ideas? I'm in a real bind here without access to my passwords.

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

I'm sorry to press on one point. I know you said you were not using any anti-virus software but I just wanted to confirm specifically that you're not using Sophos. I'm also assuming that since this problem started you have rebooted your machine (sorry, you've probably done it on numerous occasions, but again I wanted to check!).

Stephen

• Shane Mecklenburger
    Options

All correct: I have no anti-virus software, I've never heard of Sophos and I've rebooted my machine several times now. I've been without access to my passwords and all my 1Password private data, notes, etc. for several days now and I'm very concerned.

• rickfillion
    edited November 2014
    Options

Hi @Shane Mecklenburger‌,

Let's check a few things. This can also happen when 1Password mini gets stuck while launching. Let's see if it's stuck:

• Launch Activity Monitor from /Applications/Utilities
    • Do a search for 1Password, and see if there's a 1Password mini that shows up in the list
    • If it does, does it show as "Not Responding?"

If so, it'd be worth using Force Quit on it. The system should automatically try to restart it.

Also worth trying to drag the application itself to the trash, and reboot the Mac (the reboot is important as it causes launchd to rebuild its database and stop the auto-relaunch of 1Password mini). Then download it again from our website or the Mac App Store (make sure to download it from the same location as you had previously). There is no danger to your data by doing this as your data is stored in another location, not inside of the application itself.

This could also be happening if 1Password mini is crashing on startup. You can see if this is the case by opening a Finder window then:

• Use the Go > Go to Folder... menu item
    • Copy paste the following into the text field in the sheet that appeared on the window (including the ~) : ~/Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports/
    • Look for any files that start with 2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword4-helper
    • If there are any, feel free to email them (all of them) to support+mac@agilebits.com, and include a link to this forum thread so that we can connect the dots. We can take a look at the crashlogs and get an idea of what's going on.

Usually there's a CrashReporter that shows up on next launch to automate this process for you, but that assumes that the app can relaunch successfully. If it's stuck crashing on launch, it won't get far enough to launch the CrashReporter.

Let's start with that. If none of this works, we'll try to think of more options.

Rick

• Shane Mecklenburger
    Options

Doesn't show up in Activity Monitor, nothing to Force Quit. I just emailed all the crash logs to support+mac@agilebits.com , thanks.
    I'll try trashing the app and restarting.

• jameslee236
    jameslee236
    Community Member
    Options

Did you update to the new OSX update? It looks like 1Password is not compatible with the new update (OSX10.10.1). Is 1Password working on this?

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    edited November 2014
    Options

@jameslee236‌ it is incorrect to suggest that 1P5 (at the very least) is incompatible with OS X 10.10.1. I am running both perfectly satisfactorily without any problem. Where do you get the idea they are incompatible?

Edit: if you have some problem do please post and tell us what it is. I'm sure someone will be able to help you.

Stephen

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2014
    Options

Hi @Shane Mecklenburger

I hope that restarting with a fresh copy of the app has gotten everything working properly for you! However, please do let us know if you're still seeing something odd and we'll investigate further. :)

And @jameslee236‌

As @Stephen_C says, 1Password 5 should work just fine on OS X 10.10 (Yosemite) - in fact, it was designed specifically for this operating system. If you are having difficulties, we'd love to hear about it so we can help get things straightened out!

• Shane Mecklenburger
    Shane Mecklenburger
    Community Member
    edited November 2014
    Options

I'm on OS 10.9.5. I trashed 1Password and restarted, but when I went to the app store to download a new copy, it wants to charge me $34.99. It doesn't appear to remember my original purchase, and my Apple ID hasn't changed.

• Rad
    Rad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Sorry that you have issue re-downloading 1Password from the Mac App Store.

Unfortunately, we do not have access to any information about our App Store users. Is it possible that you contacted Apple for a refund for 1Password in the past? We tried to reproduce the issue here and we call all see 1Password for Mac as purchased on the Mac App Store. It doesn't ask us to pay again.

Let's make sure that you follow these steps to try and get you on track:

• Make sure that you are signed into the App Store app.
    • Did you purchase 1Password for Mac on the Mac App Store or 1Password for iOS? Please note that they are separate purchases.
    • Try and contact Apple for this matter, they'll be able to see your App Store account and sort this out.

In the meantime, you can always the web store version of 1Password for Mac. To download it, please go to our downloads page.

Hope that this helps!

Cheers!

Rad

• Shane Mecklenburger
    Shane Mecklenburger
    Community Member
    edited November 2014
    Options

@Rad the link you posted was to Knox. I originally got 1Password from https://agilebits.com/onepassword/mac

@rickfillion I've still received no email response re: the crash logs I sent.

• rickfillion
    edited November 2014
    Options

I'm sorry about the slow response. I was expecting a notification on my end when your email came in and I never got one. Very sorry about that. I'll post this answer in an email back to you so that you can get it faster than having to check back in the forum too.

I've looked at your crashlogs, and it seems that it's crashing on startup. The good news is we've seen this issue quite a few times before, and it's caused by a faulty update. Something went wrong when 1Password updated itself between the last version and the current one. The solution (or workaround, as the solution is up to us to figure out why in some cases a certain framework fails to load), is to re-download the app. The crash logs indicate that you were using the AgileStore version of the app and not the Mac App Store version, which explains why it wasn't showing up in the Mac App Store as a purchase.

You can download 1Password 4.4.3 which will work on 10.9.5 from our downloads page. Just make sure you scroll all the way to the bottom where we have the Legacy versions. Here's also a direct URL to the download:

https://d13itkw33a7sus.cloudfront.net/dist/1P/mac4/1Password-4.4.3.zip

Sorry about the delay in response.

Rick

ref: JTF-83158-324

This discussion has been closed.