Reset TYPE on Credit Card items

Options
Lamplighter
Lamplighter
Community Member

Having abused the Credit Card category by creating many CC items with inappropriate entries in the TYPE field, I now wish to restore the field to "blank" in some of those existing records.

Is there a way to do this without deleting and re-creating them from scratch ?

Comments

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited November 2014
    Options

I'm sure this is not a sanctioned method, but here's one way that will work.

Select the Credit Card items, and export the selected items to 1PIF. Edit the 1PIF with TextEdit (in PlainText / UTF8 mode, not RTF), and remove the section (including either the trailing or leading comma)

{"n":"type","a":{"guarded":"yes"},"k":"cctype","v":"visa","t":"type"},

and then remove the portion from within the openContents section (including either the trailing or leading comma):

"type":"visa",

Save the 1PIF file. Now delete the selected Credit Card entries from 1Password, and import your edited / saved 1PIF file.

Example entry (the bold pieces are what you'd remove):

{"typeName":"wallet.financial.CreditCard","title":"Credit Card - Visa","uuid":"c85180c0661e40a390340c59be2e7ada","openContents":{"tags":["Samples"]},"secureContents":{"pin":"9999","cardholder":"Joe Blow","expiry_yy":"2015","bank":"my bank","notesPlain":"First name: Joe\nLast name: Blow\nExpires: 1/31/2015","type":"visa","phoneTollFree":"call me","sections":[{"fields":[{"n":"cardholder","a":{"guarded":"yes"},"k":"string","v":"Joe Blow","t":"cardholder name"},{"n":"type","a":{"guarded":"yes"},"k":"cctype","v":"visa","t":"type"},{"n":"ccnum","a":{"guarded":"yes","clipboardFilter":"0123456789"},"k":"string","v":"1234","t":"number"},{"n":"cvv","a":{"generate":"off","guarded":"yes"},"k":"concealed","v":"666","t":"verification number"},{"n":"expiry","a":{"guarded":"yes"},"k":"monthYear","v":"201501","t":"expiry date"}],"name":"","title":""},{"fields":[{"n":"bank","k":"string","v":"my bank","t":"issuing bank"},{"n":"phoneTollFree","k":"phone","v":"call me","t":"phone (toll free)"}],"name":"contactInfo","title":"Contact Information"},{"fields":[{"n":"pin","a":{"guarded":"yes"},"k":"concealed","v":"9999","t":"PIN"}],"name":"details","title":"Additional Details"}],"ccnum":"1234","cvv":"666","expiry_mm":"01"}}

• Lamplighter
    Lamplighter
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you, Mr C... I think ! Your reply gave me the best smile and giggle of the week.

I don't have even a glimmer of understanding of your code, or my ability to accurately follow it's directions.
    So, I'll just go ahead to delete and re-enter by hand the CC items I have messed up.

I do appreciate your time and talent in coming up with a way to do what I was seeking... thanks, again.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Lamplighter,

Don't worry ... I don't always understand @MrC's code either! ;) I really really appreciate that he takes the time to help out here with his coding brilliance though.

If you're not keen on the above workaround, unfortunately there is no easy way to reset the type field. However, you certainly don't have to re-create the entire entry! Simply click on 'Edit' to edit the entry, then click on the type field and select the appropriate one!

(demo data shown)

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

Yeah, I know, I know. It was a gibberish reply, entirely suitable for only weirdos or those who ask "Is there any way?"

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @MrC,

I'm sure it was quite brilliant gibberish! I'm constantly amazed that you have an answer for just about everything here.

As always, thanks for being awesome. :)

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

Picking another type is only helpful if the type you to which you want to change is on the list. Store based cards are none of those, so if a user goofed and picked one of the options, s/he's stuck with no option for none. S/he has to start fresh. We need an option for None in the dropdown.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @hawkmoth,

Thanks for adding that here. We do have an open request for that in our issue tracker, and I'm happy to add a vote for you. I agree, a 'None' or 'Other' option would increase the usefulness of this category significantly!

ref: OPM-940

This discussion has been closed.