Support for iPhone 4 on iOS 7

Options
billtubbs
billtubbs
Community Member

I recently paid $50 or so to upgrade to 1Password 4 only to find that now I can't sync with my iPhone because it is an iPhone 4 using 1Password 4 on iOS 7.1.2. Upgrading to iOS 8 is not an option on my phone and even if it was I don't know if I would want to as my phone is slow enough already with iOS 7.

The problem is 1Password 4 on the Mac (and 5 which I just upgraded to) does not synchronize with 1Password 4 on iOS. The upgrade to 1Password 5 requires iOS 8.

So what options do I have? I've been without important password and other information on my iPhone now for at least 6 months.

Is there anyway to 'downgrade' to 1Password 3 on my Mac (and get my $50 back)? I'm not even sure 1password 3 would work on Yosemite OS.

Please advise.

Bill.

Comments

• MrRooni
    edited October 2014
    Options

Good evening Bill. I'm sorry to hear about the trouble that you've had with the upgrade across iOS 7/8 and OS X Mavericks/Yosemite. Just so we can get a better picture of what, exactly, your setup looks like can you let me know what computers and devices you have, what versions of OS X and iOS they're running, and what versions of 1Password you're running on them.

One option that will still work for you to sync your data is Dropbox. Another, is Wi-Fi.

• billtubbs
    billtubbs
    Community Member
    Options

As it says above, I am using:

iPhone 4 using 1Password 4 on iOS 7.1.2
    MacBook Pro using 1Password 5 on Yosemite OS (10.10)

I also have an iPad on iOS 7.1.1 but I have never tried installing 1password

I tried wifi sync and couldn't get it to work:
    On the Mac, 1password says: 'Unlock 1Password on your iPhone or iPad and select Settings > Sync to begin syncing, When prompted, enter the secret shown below:'
    On the iPhone when I go to settings it says: '1. Open 1Password on your Mac, 2. Enter the Authorisation Code below'
    Then both devices wait for me to do the action on each other!

but haven't tried dropbox. I can try that tonight.

Please let me know what to do.

• billtubbs
    billtubbs
    Community Member
    Options

How do I initiate dropbox syncing in 1Password 5? The Sync menu looks as follows:

• billtubbs
    billtubbs
    Community Member
    Options

On the iPhone, 1Password 4 is refusing to login to my dropbox account: "Login failed. Please make sure email and password are correct". Even though I have correctly entered my email and password.

• Ben
    Options

Hi @billtubbs‌

Are you sure you are running v4 on your iPhone?

Please let me know.

Ben

• billtubbs
    billtubbs
    Community Member
    Options

You're right. It's version 3.7.2. I guess when I saw the upgrade to version 5 I assumed I was on 4. So what do I need to do? Can I get version 4?

• Ben
    Options

Unfortunately you're stuck between a rock and a hard place...

• 1Password 5 for iOS was released as an update to 1Password 4 for iOS so that we could give everyone who had purchased 1Password 4 for iOS 1Password 5 for iOS' "Pro" features at no additional cost
    • Apple only allows you to download older versions of an app if you had previously purchased that version (e.x. v4) -- you can't buy an older version after the fact
    • iPhone 4 will not run iOS 8, so you cannot get 1Password 5 for iOS
    • 1Password 3 for iOS can only sync with 1Password 3 for Mac, and only via WiFi.

Really the only way forward would be to upgrade your phone.

My apologies for the inconvenience.

• billtubbs
    billtubbs
    Community Member
    Options

my phone can't upgrade to iOS 8. That's not available on iPhone 4 (there is no option to upgrade). What your saying is you don't support iPhone 4's. If you can't support iPhone 4's then I'll have to call it quits. You can return what I paid for my recent upgrade to 1Password 4 (not realizing that this version wouldn't be compatible with my iOS device) and I'll move to a different password manager. Unless you have a way to make 1password work?

• Good morning @billtubbs‌. I'm terribly sorry about the trouble here. There is one more hail mary-esque thing we could try. On your Mac, open iTunes and "purchase" 1Password 5 from the App Store there. (1Password 5 is free, hence the quotes around purchase).

Then, open up the App Store app on your iPhone 4, tap on the Updates tab, and then tap on Purchased. You should be to find 1Password in that list and install version 4.5.3 of 1Password.

The reason this should work is because 1Password 5 was an update to 1Password 4, so from the App Store's point of view they are the same app, Let me know how this works out for you.

• billtubbs
    billtubbs
    Community Member
    Options

Strange. When I go to App Store on the iPhone 1password isn't in the list of purchased apps. Is there any other way to get 1Password 4 onto the iPhone? What if I download it in iTunes on the mac and then sync?

• Ben
    Options

Unfortunately not. The only way @mrrooni's instructions work is if you had previously purchased 1Password 4 for iOS. The only option Apple gives us in this regard is to allow folks who had already purchased the previous version to download that version if an update is not compatible with their device. We've enabled that. They do not offer us an option to allow folks to download the previous version having never purchased it.

When I said

Really the only way forward would be to upgrade your phone.

I meant the hardware, not the software. As I mentioned

iPhone 4 will not run iOS 8, so you cannot get 1Password 5 for iOS

It is 4 year old hardware at this point, and Apple is not releasing iOS 8 for it.

I do apologize for the inconvenience.

• billtubbs
    billtubbs
    Community Member
    Options

Okay since you have no other option I'd like to reverse my recent purchase of the latest version of 1password for Mac (since I wasn't warned that it would not be compatible with my iPhone). Is that Okay? I'll move all my password accounts to Apple's (free) iCloud service for now. Once I replace my iPhone I might consider going back to 1Password. Please advise how to do this.

• Winnie
    Winnie
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@billtubbs could you please send us an email regarding the refund referencing this forum post to support+sales@agilebits.com ? Thanks a lot !

• billtubbs
    billtubbs
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, I just sent an email to that address.

• Winnie
    Winnie
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2014
    Options

Found it! Someone from our awesome support team will get back to you.

ref: AIA-89724-495

• billtubbs
    billtubbs
    Community Member
    Options

No one has contacted me yet. However yesterday 1password for Mac stopped working when OS X upgraded to 10.1 and today it says I should support 1password development by buying a license.

The next step is to get all my passwords out of 1password and then get a refund for my recent purchase so I am expecting someone to contact me to explain how to do this.

thanks

• Winnie
    Winnie
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@billtubbs sorry for the long wait time. I just checked and a colleague of mine replied to you about 20 min ago. Everything should be settled. Again, sorry for the delay!

• billtubbs
    billtubbs
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Winnie. I did get my refund but unfortunately it seems no one read my request above "The next step is to get all my passwords out of 1password and then get a refund for my recent purchase so I am expecting someone to contact me to explain how to do this."

So it looks like my license has been withdrawn already. Could you please advise how to safely extract all my account info so I can put it into another password manager?

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@billtubbs, I see that you emailed us with the same question yesterday (which I'm guessing was shortly before or after you posted here) and someone responded to that email earlier today. So, you should be all set now. Sorry for any confusion about that!

This discussion has been closed.