Enterprise License Install

Options

We have purchased a business license for all users in our company. Is there a way to install 1Password for Windows with the license information included as part of the installation? Or can we distribute a file to systems with the license information so that users never get the "Demo Mode" messages? I'd like to prevent our IT department from needing to make an extra "touch" on every system as we install the software.

Comments

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I'll ask someone more familiar with enterprise licenses to reply here, @claidheamh‌.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2014
    Options

None of my co-workers know of a shortcut—each machine needs to have the software installed and the license file put in the correct location.

If your IT folks can do that in a single "touch" it may be easier than going through the "demo mode" messages and so on.

If you have any questions, please contact me ( @DBrown ) by private message here in the forums. I can provide a little more detail.

• claidheamh
    claidheamh
    Community Member
    Options

The problem, sadly, is that I'm the IT person. I was trying to get file locations for the license file in 1Password4 on Windows. I want to know if I can push the file to a specific location? can I copy the license file (we are all under the same license) between PCs? Are there any registry or configuration file changes made when the license is registered?

• J.M
    J.M
    Community Member
    edited November 2014
    Options

Hi @claidheamh‌,

I just had a look and there definitely is an OPW4.license file in %APPDATA%\AgileBits. I bet the file is created when you authorize the program at least once. In the case of an Enterprise license, the license key is the same for all your users right ?

Maybe that authorizing 1Password once and creating the AgileBits folder manually with the OPW4.license for all subsequent users is achievable ?

I looked at the registry and didn't find anything related to a license key.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks, @J.M!

@claidheamh‌, please let us know whether that helps.

• claidheamh
    claidheamh
    Community Member
    Options

Although the password files appear to be identical, adding the profile directory for AgileBits and the license file is not enough for 1Password to show as licensed (I moved the file into the correct location and restarted 1Password, but it still showed in demo mode). I'm going to look for any other info.

• J.M
    J.M
    Community Member
    Options

In that case i bet that devs from the Windows team should be able to give you some insight. @svondutch‌ maybe ?

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@claidheamh‌, had you run the installer on those machines, too?

• claidheamh
    claidheamh
    Community Member
    Options

@DBrown‌ - yes, the systems already had 1Password 4 installed in demo mode. I shutdown the application, moved the password file in and restarted the app, but no dice - the application still shows as in demo mode. Any insight from the development team would be appreciated.

• claidheamh
    claidheamh
    Community Member
    Options

Can I get any help on this problem? Is there another avenue for technical support?

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Gosh, @claidheamh‌, I could've sworn someone with more knowledge of enterprise licenses had responded to your question.

I must've messed up, somehow, though, so I've asked a couple of co-workers to help.

I'm really sorry for the delay!

• @claidheamh, for Windows licenses the proper location for the license file is: C:\Users\<user name>\AppData\Roaming\AgileBits\OPW4.license

If you have a multi-user license then you should be able to copy the license file from one machine to another. You will need to activate it on one machine before you copy it.

A simpler solution might be to put a file with the license key in a common location. Then each team member could grab the license key and manually enter it into their copy of 1Password for Windows under Help > Enter License Key in the main menu.

If this is still not working for you please let us know and we'll try to investigate further.

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member
    Options

Surely the whole point of using the Roaming folder is that you can deploy it using group policies.

• claidheamh
    claidheamh
    Community Member
    Options

@Jeff Shiner‌ - I retested on a new system and have confirmed that applying the license file in the appropriate user directory (in their profile) seems to handle the registration / licensing correctly.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2014
    Options

That’s great news, @claidheamh—thanks for letting us know!

This discussion has been closed.