What happens to my iCloud data when switching to from Web Store to Mac App Store?

Options
bebopper57
bebopper57
Community Member

I'm about to upgrade from 1Password 4 (Web Store) w/iCloud sync to 1Password 5 (MAS) w/iCloud sync. The knowledge base instructions look simple enough, but it's not clear what happens to my iCloud data in the process. Does iCloud data get deleted when quitting 1Password and 1Password Mini? (If not, is there a way to delete this data?) Then does 1Password 5 (MAS) establish a completely new set of data on iCloud? Is there any reason to upgrade to 1Password 5 (Web Store) before switching to 1Password 5 (MAS)? It would be helpful to find this additional information in the knowledge base article on Migrating to the Mac App Store version.

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @bebopper57‌

When you disable a sync method you will get an checkbox you can tick to have the data deleted. If you want to verify this then for iCloud you can go into System Preferences > iCloud and use the Manage... button to see what is being stored.

When you update from the old iCloud to the new one (if memory serves me correctly Apple refer to it as iCloud Drive) your old files will be migrated but in the case of 1Password are redundant because we will be using the CloudKit framework.

I don't see any advantage to upgrading to 1Password 5 (Web Store) as both keep their files in the same location, you can go directly from 1Password 4 (Web Store) to 1Password 5 (MAS) just as easy.

Given how important your 1Password data is here's what I'd suggest.

1. Ensure the Mac you're working on has an up-to-date vault.
    2. Enter 1Password's preferences and go to the Backup tab. Click on the Backup Now button to ensure you have a fresh backup.
    3. Use the Show Files button to open a Finder window where your backup files are located and copy this fresh backup file to your Desktop.
    4. Disable iCloud sync on all devices and delete the sync data.
    5. Do all of your updating/installing, following the instructions you've already found.
    6. Don't forget to upgrade to iCloud Drive and have it enabled on your Mac - CloudKit on OS X requires iCloud Drive to be enabled even though we don't use the actual iCloud Drive part.
    7. Re-enable iCloud sync on all of your devices.

Once you've confirmed syncing is working again you're free to delete that extra backup.

Now that's probably a good deal more paranoid than you need to be, most people have made the transition seamlessly without even thinking about it but if anything goes wrong you always know you have a good backup that we can work from and you know it's safe on your Desktop. You also know that your iCloud is free from redundant files in terms of 1Password.

If you have any questions as a result of myself not explaining something well enough or my suggestion simply creating more questions then post back here and somebody will respond :smile:

This discussion has been closed.