3 search requests: universal search bar, results in main list, & search widget

SteveDErickson
SteveDErickson
Community Member

I have three requests, all of which are related to search functionality.

1) Could you please add a universal search bar on the main screen of the 1Password Android app?

When I open 1Password, whether on Android or Mac, the first thing I want to do is search. I have all my information categorized, but I generally know the exact word I'm looking for, and I don't want to flip through lists of hundreds of logins. I just want to type in the first few letters and have the item appear in the list so I can tap on it.

What would be perfect is a full width search bar near the top of the main screen of the 1Password app. It would be similar in appearance to the Google search widget that is on the home screen of many Android devices.

2) Rather than having search show a hovering second list of items in a small box on top of the full list of items, could you please have search show results in the main list of items only? In other words, I'd like to see the main list of items change as I type to best fit what I've typed in.

3) Could you make a 1x1 1Password search widget that opens the app with the keyboard already displayed for typing into the universal search bar? After tapping the widget, the 1Password lock screen would still appear, but after typing in the password, the main screen would appear with the keyboard already up and the cursor in the universal search bar.

Please feel free to ask any questions. Hope this helps to make 1Password better for us all :)

Comments

• Hi @SteveDErickson! First of all, thank you for taking the time to help us improve the search functionality within 1Password Beta. Your suggestions are excellent and very detailed. I will be taking these points to our developers and discuss the possibilities of implementing these features.

We already had a couple of requests to have quicker access to the search field after launching 1Password. Our developers are already aware of this and I will also be adding your vote.

Thanks again! You're definitely helping make 1Password better for everyone. Happy New Year! :)

• Echnie
    Echnie
    Community Member

+1 for the universal search feature on the main screen. I find myself almost always using universal search when looking up a password. Accessing universal search requires too much interactions with the app at the moment, which makes it cumbersome to look up a password.

• Kevllar
    Kevllar
    Community Member

Agreed with all of the above. Universal Search desperately needed. I hope your developers build it just like the iOS version so that you DON'T have to click a magnifying glass first. You just tap the empty field and search straight away.

However, I noticed that the iOS version doesn't really have "universal search" per say. It's only when you click on "All Items" that the search appears. Perhaps putting search on every screen makes more sense? Please don't hide the search behind an icon. No more than 2 taps should be the goal. It would be great if it were 1 tap (or scroll down) from any screen. Thanks!

• dmacx
    dmacx
    Community Member

I agree. The most importing thing is quick search over all fields and copy the password. Both are not supported yet. No global search function nor a copy function like 1pw reader

• daveonkels
    daveonkels
    Community Member

+1 for a universal search item on the left sidebar of the app.

• opuntia2
    opuntia2
    Community Member

+1 for items 1 & 2 in the OP. I also personally think that the "All Items" screen should be displayed first by default, that would make searching easier. Or at least have an option to choose which screen to display on start up. Thanks!

• Hi everyone! Thanks for your votes, I will be passing on your comments to the development team.

We are looking into making search much more accessible. :)

• dewey
    dewey
    Community Member

Was looking to post about this as well - did a search a stumbled upon this thread. +1 from me as well!

• Thanks @adventure5566. I'll add your vote for this request.

• Kevllar
    Kevllar
    Community Member

Hi @saad,

I've been part of the beta since the very beginning and Universal Search never even made it to the beta stage. Why was this considered but not implemented in any form or fashion? Just curious. Was it a design decision? I'm sure a lot of people asked for it. Now that it's out of beta will we see universal search ever? Currently it takes me 3, count em, 3 taps to get to a search field. Why? Should take one swipe as far as I'm concerned.

How about putting the search bar in the side panel? You swipe to the right and the search field is ready for you immediately. Sound like a good idea? My first thought was to put it in the list like iOS but maybe swipe to the right is more Android. Honestly, I don't really care. I just want search available FAST.

Thanks,

Kevin

• Hi Kevin. Even though we launched 1Password 4 on the Play Store, we did not discontinue our beta program. We are still releasing frequent updates with new features and improvements in the beta before making it available on the Play Store. Universal search is among the many features we were not able to include as part of the 4.0 launch. This does not mean we won’t be implementing this functionality. We plan to continue to grow 1Password on Android and our team is planning to look into adding this feature as part of an update to 1Password 4. Please continue to stay with our beta program to get quicker access to features like this. Thanks again for your feedback and support!

• dmacx
    dmacx
    Community Member
    edited September 2014

35 weeks are gone since the brilliant request from @SteveDErickson‌. 35 weeks are gone with no changes for this very important feature. The search functionality are main key of your power users – these users, that are interested in use your app most and help to enhance it by using the beta.

I have to tab four times on different places to get access to the search. And with my hundreds of items I'm not willing to scroll. This was never my way of using 1password, even on the Mac.

Regarding to the request itself I think you could even make 1password on Android much prettier. I remember a discussion about the design at the first time the beta came out. We (users) asked you to use the base android functionality for the menu drawer and the settings. But you have chosen the wrong direction and never changed it till now. Google came up the new and beautiful Material Design but 1password will stick to the custom design I think - never as good as the app on other platforms and their design principles.

I'm a 1password evangelist to others, but I'm always adding a note: This Android App is functional not beautiful nor fun to use.

• We greatly appreciate the feedback that we receive from our beta team. It is invaluable in helping us continue to improve 1Password. With the help of our beta testers, we have identified over 300 different improvements, bug fixes, and new features for 1Password 4 on Android. While we have already implemented more than 200 of these, there are still many remaining, with new ones being added each week.

Quicker access to search is one such item that has been on our radar for a while. That the changes haven’t been made yet isn’t to say that we don’t think this is an important feature, but rather that we want to make sure to get it right. While I can’t make any promises as to when this feature will be added to 1Password, I can say that it is one of several improvements being considered for our next big update to 1Password 4 on Android.

• J.M
    J.M
    Community Member

Regarding to the request itself I think you could even make 1password on Android much prettier. I remember a discussion about the design at the first time the beta came out. We (users) asked you to use the base android functionality for the menu drawer and the settings. But you have chosen the wrong direction and never changed it till now. Google came up the new and beautiful Material Design but 1password will stick to the custom design I think - never as good as the app on other platforms and their design principles.

As far as i know, the material theme is only usable in Android L, older versions of Android will stay with the old theme (holo for example). I find the 1Password 4 for Android to be pretty enough for me, much much better than the old 1Password reader.

I'm sure requested features will be added sooner than later but Agile Bits devs always took the time needed to be sure of their choices. Maintaining an app on multiple platforms is not an easy job for sure and you don't implement things like that in two days, especially for an app dealing with security.

Link : http://developer.android.com/preview/material/compatibility.html

• _CH_
    _CH_
    Community Member
    edited October 2014

As far as i know, the material theme is only usable in Android L, older versions of Android will stay with the old theme (holo for example). I find the 1Password 4 for Android to be pretty enough for me, much much better than the old 1Password reader.

No - Material design will trickle down. The current versions of the play store (5.0.31) and chrome beta(39.0.2171.25) amongst others (but these are two things I suspect most people will be familiar with) use at least some material design... a bit more with each update. i will, however STRONGLY agree that the current 1P version is much better in all regards than the old and unloved reader

• Thank you for the words of support! We agree 1Password 4 for Android is a big improvement over 1Password Reader, both in terms of features and design. That being said though, we have no intention of standing still and Lollipop's introduction of Material Design has definitely piqued our interest as well.

• markwoon
    markwoon
    Community Member

Honestly though, I can happily live with an ugly UI as long as it's easy and fast to use.

Back to the original point of this thread: please provide universal search, from the very first screen you see after unlocking. This one thing will save me more time than anything else (until we all get Lollipop's in-app password integration).

And honestly, you don't have to get it completely right the first time. Just give us something halfway passable and iterate.

Any chance this will be coming soon?

• guillaumeserton
    guillaumeserton
    Community Member

I'm in the beta program from the beginning of the 1password 4 and since the beginning we ask this universal search as a major feature.
    As always in beta, we see new features coming like the in-app filling (awesome) but not enough compare the search.

Hope this one will come very soon (maybe with a refreshed UI on lollipop ( crossed fingers)

• We have some great ideas for a Lollipop redesign and this presents us with a perfect opportunity to address a number of usability concerns (universal search included). Keep an eye on the beta as we will be rolling out Lollipop related changes there first :)

• guillaumeserton
    guillaumeserton
    Community Member

Glad to read this @mverde

This discussion has been closed.