Option for user interface language not working

Ando
Ando
Community Member

Hi,

I just uninstalled and then reinstalled 1Password (version 5.1.2) on my iPad. When I changed the settings to mirror those from the previous installation, I couldn't change the UI language. It defaulted to the system language (German) which is probably the standard behaviour. In the previous installation I had selected English. Now the language option ("Settings" - "Advanced" - "Language" in English) isn't working properly. It displays German as the only option, there's no list of languages to choose from.

Any idea what happened here and how I can fix this? I wouldn't want to be stuck with the localized version.

Regards,
Andrea

Comments

• Winnie
    Winnie
    1Password Alumni

Hi Andrea,

are you having an English keyboard installed on your iPad? We are showing the languages the OS tells are available on your device. So if you don't have a keyboard for another language installed all that is available is the language your device is set to (in your case German). Try adding an English keyboard (Settings > General > Keyboard > Keyboards > Add New Keyboard...) and then you should be able to switch 1Password to English.

• Ando
    Ando
    Community Member

Hi Winnie,

I didn't have an English keyboard installed, so I did that and I also rebooted the iPad just in case. The English keyboard was successfully added, I can switch to it in apps. In the 1Password UI, however, German is still the only language option. I've also reinstalled 1Password again, but that still doesn't make a difference.

The weird thing is that before the first reinstallation of the app I could use the English UI without having to install an English keyboard. And I just checked on my iPhone - the app UI is in English (although no English keyboard is installed) and the option "Language" shows that English is selected, but when I tap "Language" the only option is German, same thing as on the iPad. I suppose that if I ever have to uninstall and reinstall 1Password on the iPhone, the English version will be gone there as well.

Maybe this is a bug?

Regards,
    Andrea

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Ando‌

Can you try something for me please.

• If you don't need it remove the English keyboard (the Edit button in the top right corner of where you added the keyboard in Settings > General > Keyboards > Keyboards)
    • In Settings > General > Language & Region can you use the Add Language... option under Preferred Language Order and add English.
    • Quit 1Password via the double tap of the home button to get to the Multitasking screen.
    • Open 1Password and check to see if English is now offered as a choice under Settings > Advanced > Language.

I think that will result in the behaviour you're looking for. If not please do post back!

• Ando
    Ando
    Community Member

Hi littlebobbytables,

Yes, that did the trick. Thank you :) !

Andrea

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Yay! :grinning: Glad you got it sorted @Ando‌

This discussion has been closed.