My letter to Dave re: his gift to us.

mpvox
mpvox
Community Member
edited November 2014 in Lounge

Dear Dave,

The question I was going to ask was not why are you celebrating Thanksgiving when you're Canadian, but rather what about your customers in other countries that don't follow/share American celebrations.
Perhaps it's a bit like Chinese New Year where the Chinese community do their thing in all the chinatowns of the world and those not culturally attached can participate I suppose. Maybe it's the same although as an Australian of Italian descent born and raised in Australia all we know or hear about Thanksgiving is whatever info we're fed through reruns of the Brady Bunch or Gilligan's Island et al.
We pretty much shrug our shoulders over it and I mean no offence by that.

Regarding you gift, thank you and 1 million subscribers each with a $10 book. I know it's your money but $10 million is a heck of a lot of money personally I would have preferred it go to the poor and needy in your neck of the woods especially considering we are approaching Christmas and a lot of people won't be celebrating that in the traditional sense like your Thanksgivers.

I would like if you could donate my download value and give it to an institute that helps the poor. My gut tells me a greater portion of Apple iphone/ipad etc customers may prefer my suggestion if they were given the option. At least I bloody well hope that to be the case whereby they would forsake a download for the needy, the one's that won't be receiving or buying an Apple product or just basically can't afford one.

Who knows that as a result someone's misfortune may turn around as a result and could very well end up being a future customer of 1Password. Also it wouldn't hurt the type of publicity that app developers/operators aren't generally associated with.

Well that's all I have to say and I hope you give my suggestion serious consideration perhaps not for now but for the next time.

Thanks for taking the time to read your 10000th email for the week, actually I hear there's a book out that can help you manage through it. :)

Regards

Mark

Comments

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

I would guess it's the same root reason that they only take USD and not CAD; the bulk of their customers are in the US.

Regarding you gift, thank you and 1 million subscribers each with a $10 book. I know it's your money but $10 million is a heck of a lot of money

I seriously doubt that they paid retail for them. Might even have been a freebie and a promo thing. Notice that the first few pages have descriptions of his other books; or maybe I'm just a cynic.

• mpvox
    mpvox
    Community Member

Cynicism aside if 1 million people chose to voluntarily buy it, I'm sure the author would collect on 10 mill less fees and taxes. However I understand your point and reasonable. Whatever the agreement is we're not privy to, so I suppose we take it on face value. Anyway cynicism at Thanksgiving and Christmas time is not a prerequisite is it? :)

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi Mark ( @mpvox ),

Thanks so much for your feedback here, your thoughts are much appreciated. :)

The question I was going to ask was not why are you celebrating Thanksgiving when you're Canadian, but rather what about your customers in other countries that don't follow/share American celebrations.

It's true, we're a Canadian company with a largely North American team, so we do default to the North American holidays. But personally, I think that any reason to celebrate is wonderful! If you're celebrating a particular holiday that we're not recognizing, let us know - perhaps Dave can send out a special newsletter to honour your special occasions.

I would like if you could donate my download value and give it to an institute that helps the poor.

This is a wonderful and generous suggestion, I'll be sure that Dave hears about it - it could be a brilliant idea for our next celebratory newsletter.

Again, thanks for taking the time to write in - have a great weekend!

This discussion has been closed.