Password problem - syncing

Options
kfr3
kfr3
Community Member

Recently I looked at the FAQ posting on the requirement to have 1password purchased via the app store. I have had trouble syncing via either method, but I decided to use my dropbox. So I attempted to start using my iPad. I selected the dropbox file and was asked for the vault password. I entered the vault password which works on both the Mac and iPad, but I got an error, wrong password. A couple of months ago I had changed vault passwords. I was only successful when I entered the OLD password. Apparently I am missing something??

Help!!!

Mac is Yosemite, iPad is iOS 8, and 1Password is V5.0.2.

Comments

• tmb001
    tmb001
    Community Member
    Options

I am having a similar problem. I have five devices with 1Password: three macs, an iPhone and an iPad. Some of the devices use my new password, some use the old password. Since the new one is longer and better, I would like to make sure each device has it. The passwords synch over iCloud and they are all up to date on each device. The only variation is the password. Each device is using up to date software. Any ideas on why this is occurring. If it can be corrected simply? If not, would you advise erasing the files on the devices using the older password and resynching?
    Thanks in advance for your help.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @kfr3‌ & @tmb001‌

We do have a bug where changes to the Master Password aren't being picked up but we are doing are best to quash it at the moment.

I can try and supply the gory details of how we encrypt your files and how this means this bug can exist you like but I'll only do that if you want to understand a little of how it works under the hood. I'll avoid it for now though and just say that if you change your Master Password on one device that while the goal is you're required to use the new Master Password on every device syncing to the same vault it doesn't happen at the moment. Any new device you try to sync though will require the new Master Password. It's all to do with the fact that your sync data is once instance of your vault and that each device has its own local vault.

What we currently recommend doing is simply updating each machine to use the same new Master Password. If I've understood both of your posts correctly that should apply equally to both of you.

If you have any questions or want the details of vault encryption just post back here.

This discussion has been closed.