Changing an Entry Type

Palpatim
edited December 1969 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac
Product: 1Password Version 3.1.3 (build 30645)

Hello, all. I've done a couple of google and forum searches, but can't locate an answer. Hopefully it's not an FAQ. :)

Is there a way to change the type of an entry from, for example, a Login to an Account? I imported several hundred entries from another password utility (PasswordSafe) as a text file, and the default type appeared to be Login. Unfortunately, many of these were actually server logins, which means my browser "autofill" menu is now cluttered with extraneous entries.

I'd like to select an entry (or several entries), and change their type from "Login" to "Account". I do see an option to "Never display in browser", which is a workaround, but I'd rather keep it organized under the correct area if possible.

Thanks in advance for any help you can suggest.

--Tim

Comments

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 1969
    Tim, welcome to the forum!

1Password does not include the ability to move items from one vault to another (to change their type). It's a feature that's been requested from time to time, though, and it helps us to know it would be useful to you. We will look into improving this in a future update.

I'm sorry I don't have a more satisfying answer for you, at this time.
  • Palpatim
    edited December 1969
    DBrown wrote:

1Password does not include the ability to move items from one vault to another (to change their type). It's a feature that's been requested from time to time, though, and it helps us to know it would be useful to you. We will look into improving this in a future update.

Thanks for the reply. It's not a critical, deal-breaking piece of functionality for me, and overall I like the product very much, keep up the good work!

--T
  • Nik
    Nik
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 1969
    Thanks, Tim!
  • kitmos
    kitmos
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    I would vote for this also.
  • Zaf
    Zaf
    edited December 1969
    kitmos wrote:
    I would vote for this also.

Ditto
  • KMK
    KMK
    Community Member
    I second this request. It is not critical, but would smooth the transition when importing from other solutions.
  • NovaScotian
    NovaScotian
    Community Member
    It would be a great feature. I moved some manually by retyping the data, but eventually just learned to live with some entries in the wrong places.
  • sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    KMK wrote:

It is not critical, but would smooth the transition when importing from other solutions.

How critical it is to someone may depend on how many imported entries they want to switch to another type.

In general, I encountered many more issues than I'd be willing to manually fix when attempting to do a full SplashID to 1Password transition (awhile ago). It's still easier to keep using both apps, if AWS won't improve the SplashID importer and/or at least make it possible to change entries types.
  • KMK
    KMK
    Community Member
    sjk wrote:

How critical it is to someone may depend on how many imported entries they want to switch to another type.

In general, I encountered many more issues than I'd be willing to manually fix when attempting to do a full SplashID to 1Password transition (awhile ago). It's still easier to keep using both apps, if AWS won't improve the SplashID importer and/or at least make it possible to change entries types.

Agree. Since I have over 100 entries which I need to manually fix, I would sure love to be able to change entry type. Furthermore, I think it would be a good thing if I could open individual windows when opening more than one entries. Making the manual data transfer from one entry to another is very cumbersome.
  • scidoc
    scidoc
    Community Member
    HI,

New to the forum - I add my vote to the requiest to be able to easily change an entry type. Migrating from other password program, many entries are misfiled as notes when they need to be logins.

thanks
  • DaveA
    DaveA
    Community Member
    DBrown wrote:

I am another user who would like this (changing sub-tpes too). In my case I have a large number of entries imported from SplashID that, despite my best efforts tweaking the CSV file, ended up in the wrong place. Consequently I ended up running both systems for a while, which got very messy. As I have more time at the moment I am starting a drive to tidy up 1Password but it is slow & frustrating recreating entries.
  • sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Hi Dave,

Thanks for posting your request/experience as a SplashID / 1Password co-user.

DaveA wrote:

In my case I have a large number of entries imported from SplashID that, despite my best efforts tweaking the CSV file, ended up in the wrong place.

Which version of SID are you running? 4.6.1 SID iPhone Desktop here, and (along with other issues) too many items ended up as secure notes when using the Import Assistant for SplashID in 1P v2. I haven't tried again with 1P v3 and comparing results with SID vs. CSV importing. And I won't update to SID v5 unless it would help, though there may be risk of even worse results since the Import Assistant for SplashID, implemented before SID v5, apparently hasn't changed in 1P v3.

Consequently I ended up running both systems for a while, which got very messy.

SID is still my master database (with nearly 900 entries), e.g. because it heavily relies on custom fields that won't cleanly transfer to 1P. I've intentionally limited only storing a subset of essential items in 1P to avoid things becoming overly complicated/messy.

As I have more time at the moment I am starting a drive to tidy up 1Password but it is slow & frustrating recreating entries.

I'd have to do more testing to see if I can come up with an acceptable strategy for a permanent transition from SID to 1P. It's been easier to patiently postpone that, hoping AWS eventually makes changes to make the process significantly smoother. Seems whatever method I might currently use would be too painful.
  • DaveA
    DaveA
    Community Member
    sjk wrote:

Hi Dave,

Thanks for posting your request/experience as a SplashID / 1Password co-user.

Which version of SID are you running? 4.6.1 SID iPhone Desktop here, and (along with other issues) too many items ended up as secure notes when using the Import Assistant for SplashID in 1P v2. I haven't tried again with 1P v3 and comparing results with SID vs. CSV importing. And I won't update to SID v5 unless it would help, though there may be risk of even worse results since the Import Assistant for SplashID, implemented before SID v5, apparently hasn't changed in 1P v3.

SID is still my master database (with nearly 900 entries), e.g. because it heavily relies on custom fields that won't cleanly transfer to 1P. I've intentionally limited only storing a subset of essential items in 1P to avoid things becoming overly complicated/messy.

I'd have to do more testing to see if I can come up with an acceptable strategy for a permanent transition from SID to 1P. It's been easier to patiently postpone that, hoping AWS eventually makes changes to make the process significantly smoother. Seems whatever method I might currently use would be too painful.

I am on SID 3.32 from my days as a Palm user, never tried their iPhone client. I don't think the version makes any difference to the import process, the first instruction of which is "export to a text file". That forces you to use the generic text importer, which only imports logins and secure notes.

Like you I ended up with lots of things, like credit card details, as secure notes. This makes them useless for autofilling forms online. Nested folders has helped me find things more easily but it is not ideal. For example, it would be nice to have all my software licenses appear as software rather than SNs; I feel like I am only getting part of what I paid for.

After concluding that there is no short cut to transfering anything other than logins and "true" SNs I have decided to keep SID for everything else. Essential and new "other" items will be added to 1P in their correct place.
  • sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    DaveA wrote:

I am on SID 3.32 from my days as a Palm user, never tried their iPhone client.

I was still using a Palm device when SID v4 was released and worth upgrading. After fully migrating to an iPod touch (abandoning Pimlico DateBk, the only app I still really miss from PalmOS) I switched to using SID iPhone Desktop (registered with the same v4 code), synched with the free iPhone app (which has come and gone from the App Store a few times).

I don't think the version makes any difference to the import process, the first instruction of which is "export to a text file".

Specifically, with "Import Format: SplashID" selected in 1P 3's Import Assistant:

Importing from SplashID

Before you begin import, please use File > Export > CSV... menu command export your SplashID information as CSV file.

Thought it supported SplashID vID importing in 1P v2, but it doesn't matter now that I've moved on to 1P v3.

There have been downward-incompatible changes in SID formats (exactly what/when I don't know), possibly producing different CSV exports that would influence 1P CSV import results. I haven't investigated if there's any difference between SID v4 and v5 formats, and if/how that matters to 1P importing. Regardless, there's still this limitation:

That forces you to use the generic text importer, which only imports logins and secure notes.

So, without importing taking advantage of any other vault types it seems unlikely any SID v4/v5 CSV differences would matter.

Like you I ended up with lots of things, like credit card details, as secure notes. This makes them useless for autofilling forms online.

Importing as secure notes also displays too much information as clear text that can be hidden with masked fields in SID.

Nested folders has helped me find things more easily but it is not ideal. For example, it would be nice to have all my software licenses appear as software rather than SNs; I feel like I am only getting part of what I paid for.

Even without a boatload of SID entries to import 1P's lack of custom categories/fields has always been its most significant shortcoming for me.

After concluding that there is no short cut to transfering anything other than logins and "true" SNs I have decided to keep SID for everything else. Essential and new "other" items will be added to 1P in their correct place.

That makes sense. Instead of trying to export everything from SID I'll first focus on subsets of entries likely to fit best in 1P with the least amount of post-import editing, posting handling of trickier entries until later.
  • MHUNTE
    MHUNTE
    Community Member
    edited September 2010
    Hi all,

After playing with the trial copy of 1P for a couple of days I purchased it with no regrets, but changing a entry type was one of the first things I wanted to do. I ended up doing a copy and paste. Which to be honest was a pain.

I was wondering if the reason this feature is not there already is the possible quagmire this could become, because there are so many fields to match up from one entry type to another ?

If so doing some more wondering, could it be made easier to maybe leave most of the shuffling to the user.
    example:

The user selects to change the entry type.

The textField objects are then copied to new NSTokenFields as token objects.
    And they are displayed to the user along with the new entry type textFields.
    The tokens can then be dragged and dropped into the new entry textFields as needed.
    The user confirms the configuration. and the entry is then created as normal.
    The extraneous NSTokenFields and token objects can then be released.

Does that make sense?

Many thanks.
  • MHUNTE wrote:

After playing with the trial copy of 1P for a couple of days I purchased it with no regrets, but changing a entry type was one of the first things I wanted to do. I ended up doing a copy and paste. Which to be honest was a pain.

I was wondering if the reason this feature is not there already is the possible quagmire this could become, because there are so many fields to match up from one entry type to another ?

I have SplashID v5 and will check this out as I am demo'ing 1Password and want to know how this goes anyway. Being less than enamored with the sync of multiple machines on SID and now hearing about this import/export issue, beginning to have many questions about the changing from one app to another. Both positive and negative to the switch.

But that is the idea. To try and examine both before buying. It is truly unfortunate that the iApp doesn't have the same feature of demo, especially in regards to the crashing issues reported about the products. I also think the integration of the two apps is VERY important as their sync.

In fact if I had to rank the features of a Password program (or desktop app) it would be:
    1. Ease of entry on the device it's intended for.
    2. Interoperability with iPhone, iPad.
    3. Interoperability with a browser (including password entry retrieval within the browser).
    4. Cost.
    5. General ease of use of the application on desktop.

HDO
  • MartyS
    MartyS
    Community Member

I have SplashID v5 and will check this out as I am demo'ing 1Password and want to know how this goes anyway. Being less than enamored with the sync of multiple machines on SID and now hearing about this import/export issue, beginning to have many questions about the changing from one app to another. Both positive and negative to the switch.

But that is the idea. To try and examine both before buying. It is truly unfortunate that the iApp doesn't have the same feature of demo, especially in regards to the crashing issues reported about the products. I also think the integration of the two apps is VERY important as their sync.

In fact if I had to rank the features of a Password program (or desktop app) it would be:
    1. Ease of entry on the device it's intended for.
    2. Interoperability with iPhone, iPad.
    3. Interoperability with a browser (including password entry retrieval within the browser).
    4. Cost.
    5. General ease of use of the application on desktop.

HDO

I think this is what most anyone will find when evaluating the concept of changing from program A to B. While we want the experience to be the best you've ever had when you switch to 1Password, there will always be the strong potential that your existing program will have some facet or even major feature that you'll desperately miss in the initial phases. We hope that after switching to 1Password you'll say "I can't believe I waited so long -- this is GREAT!" Our 30 day free trial of the desktop application gives you that opportunity to kick the tires and ask questions.

We wish that Apple provided a way for us to provide a trial copy of the mobile apps but it's not just what they're doing [yet]. None of their current models for sales fits the situation like we'd like them too.
  • MartyS wrote:

I think this is what most anyone will find when evaluating the concept of changing from program A to B. While we want the experience to be the best you've ever had when you switch to 1Password, there will always be the strong potential that your existing program will have some facet or even major feature that you'll desperately miss in the initial phases. We hope that after switching to 1Password you'll say "I can't believe I waited so long -- this is GREAT!" Our 30 day free trial of the desktop application gives you that opportunity to kick the tires and ask questions.

We wish that Apple provided a way for us to provide a trial copy of the mobile apps but it's not just what they're doing [yet]. None of their current models for sales fits the situation like we'd like them too.

I too am someone who hasn't been able to completely move from SplashID yet. I used too many custom fields to just export and import...and I have a lot of cases where, to put it in 1Password, it would expose sensitive fields to eyes around me as soon as I open the record (which is the biggest problem using the secure note part to solve this need).

I'm not so worried about not being able to import my 600+ records...I've been moving them over as I use them. However, a lot of places have challenge questions that need to be recorded (e.g. "What street did you live on as a child?" and "What was your high school mascot?").

1Password seems very close to being able to handle these if a few features were added to the "All Fields" section in the Logins record type:
    -- Allow a "Type" for non-web page fields (e.g. "Info"). (Right now I just use "Text"...but it does mean that 1Password might expect the field name on a web page).
    -- For any field, have a checkbox that says whether it should be masked or not (right now you have to say it is a "Password" and only one can be set to that).
    -- Have a button that allows you to copy the field without unmasking its value.

I'm committed to 1Password at this point...so I'm going to use it regardless :-), but this would make it a ton more handy for me...
  • sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Alan F wrote:

I too am someone who hasn't been able to completely move from SplashID yet.

Thanks for your interesting first post contribution to the discussion!
  • Terri
    Terri
    Community Member
    I am in the process of moving from splashid to 1password because i now am using a mac, ipad and a home windows machine and like your dropbox syncing capability, it's great.
    What would be nice is to have the ability to change entry type, especially upon import. I can import records from splashid but they go into the same generic format and then once there, you can't actually change the type so it's not a very useful import except for one single type of record. I see many have the same issue... So a big vote for changing types or multi-format import (even better).

Thanks,
    Terri
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2010
    Welcome to the forums, Terri!

I hope the above posts can provide a bit in the way of explanation and even guidance in the process of transitioning to 1Password. One of the problems with switching item type is that the fields are all completely different, so 1Password would have no way of knowing what information you wanted where, and you would have to copy and paste it anyway. :unsure:

Of course, we are excited to tackle this problem and are looking at ways around this. :-)

I don't have a time frame for a specific release, but these issues are certainly on our radar. Thanks for letting us know it would be useful to you!
  • MHUNTE
    MHUNTE
    Community Member
    khad wrote:

Welcome to the forums, Terri!

I hope the above posts can provide a bit in the way of explanation and even guidance in the process of transitioning to 1Password. One of the problems with switching item type is that the fields are all completely different, so 1Password would have no way of knowing what information you wanted where, and you would have to copy and paste it anyway. :unsure:

Of course, we are excited to tackle this problem and are looking at ways around this. :-)

I don't have a time frame for a specific release, but these issues are certainly on our radar. Thanks for letting us know it would be useful to you!

Hi khad,

Does my idea in post #17 hold any merit. ?

Many thanks
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    I will defer the specifics to the developers, but that is certainly one way "around" the problem. :-)
  • MHUNTE
    MHUNTE
    Community Member
    khad wrote:

I will defer the specifics to the developers, but that is certainly one way "around" the problem. :-)

Understood, and Many thanks. :-)
  • I vote for this request, too !
This discussion has been closed.