Integration with third party browsers as well as Safari

paulmarsy
paulmarsy
Community Member
edited November 2014 in iOS

Hi,

I've recently bought the Windows 1Password application and am using the pro version on iOS and really love the apps.

However one thing I did notice that is better when using either KeePass or LastPass on iOS (I forget which as I was looking to see what was the best overall password manager) is that the share menu hook in Safari to paste in login credentials was also available in other browsers such as Chrome whereas 1Password only has this functionality for Safari.

Is this functionality planned or being developed? If not could it be added to your backlog as I primarily use Chrome on iOS.

I don't know how difficult it is to develop, as the functionality is already there for Safari is it as simple as adding Chrome (and others) to the list of apps that can share to 1Password?

[edit]
Sorry I just saw this previous answer which says that it is something Google needs to add and not something you can add in :)

discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/154013#Comment_154013

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member

In order to make an app work with 1Password the developer of that app must incorporate the ability to talk to 1P—so it's up to app developers to do something, rather than up to AgileBits. You can read about that here. However, many are doing so: see this blog post, for example. (I'm not sure where the up to date list of supported apps is.)

Anyway, it's incorrect to say that 1P integrates only with Safari on iOS. I use iCab Mobile as my iOS browser, for example, and 1P integrates with that. :)

Stephen

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

@paulmarsy‌

Hopefully other browsers will add our extension but sadly we are somewhat dependent on them. If you have a browser suggest to them it would be a great addition and point them towards https://github.com/AgileBits/onepassword-app-extension

• paulmarsy
    paulmarsy
    Community Member

I didn't realise you were dependent on the other apps to add it, I incorrectly assumed when an app creates an action menu extension then iOS would automatically add it other apps for you.

However thank you for making me aware of iCab, I'm finding it much better than Chrome, and it has 1Password support :smile:

• Jasper
    edited December 2014

Hi @paulmarsy,

Your assumption is correct for some action extensions, but if the extension needs to modify the webpage (i.e., to fill your login), it will not work in third-party browsers (unless the developer of the browser specifically adds support for it). It's described in detail here if you're interested.

Please let us know if you have any other questions. We're always happy to help!

This discussion has been closed.