BlackBerry Z30 with 10.2.1

Options
RevTucher
RevTucher
Community Member

I was just able to upgrade my BlackBerry Z30 to 10.2.1 and I had contacted AgileBits before about 1Password working with BlackBerry and they said that some are using the Android app on their BlackBerry. Unfortunately, I'm having a problem with it. I install the app and point to Dropbox where I have my 1PW info and then the screen just stays black after I confirm that I want 1PW to connect to Dropbox. While this isn't for BlackBerry (please tell me there's plans for a BB10 app), how are people able to get it to work on their BB10 devices? Am I doing something wrong?

Comments

• saad
    Options

Hi @RevTucher. We don't have any immediate plans for 1Password on BlackBerry, but our Android version should work on some BB10 devices. Let's figure out what's going on.

1Password Beta for Android uses Dropbox's API to handle all communication with Dropbox . Could you please download Dropbox for BlackBerry and let me know if it helps?

Have you tried setting up folder sync by any chance? If you did, can you confirm if that works? Thanks in advance!

• jrgarrigues
    jrgarrigues
    Community Member
    Options

I'm in exactly the same place as RevTucher with one minor exception in hardware - I'm using a BB Z10. I've got 1Password for Android ver 4.0.0b12 (Build 20140323) installed. When I try to sync through DropBox or locally I'm getting the same extended black screen that he mentions above.

I have tried multiple workarounds, including using DropBox for BlackBerry and DropBox accessed through the web, but neither work.

I have not tried setting up folder sync - will give that a shot and post the results.

• jrgarrigues
    jrgarrigues
    Community Member
    Options

saad - when you asked to setup a folder sync, were you talking about a sync in the 1Password app, or in the DropBox app?

• saad
    edited April 2014
    Options

Hey @jrgarrigues! Some of our beta testers on BlackBerry devices have also reported Dropbox sync not working. When the user taps "Allow" on the authentication page, BlackBerry does not return back to 1Password with the authentication token and the user is presented with a black screen. However, folder sync in 1Password should work on your BlackBerry Z10. Could you give that a try and let me know?

(I was talking about folder sync in the 1Password app, sorry for the confusion)

• jrgarrigues
    jrgarrigues
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the response saad. I'll be happy to give it a shot, but I'm having a difficult time figuring it out on my device because it only gives me the option of using local (i.e. on my phone) folders. Would you happen to have instructions or a how to that I can review? I've looked online, but haven't found one.

• saad
    Options

Sure! I would be happy to provide you with instructions to accomplish this. Could you tell me if you're using 1Password on a Mac or Windows PC right now?

• RevTucher
    RevTucher
    Community Member
    Options

Saad, I downloaded the latest beta from an email that came across today (4/24). I still get the same problem: once I grant permission for Dropbox and I try to open the file, it reverts back to a black screen. I can't seem to find any workaround to get it to open. Do you have any suggestions?

• saad
    Options

@RevTucher‌, could you try with a different default browser on your BlackBerry device? This may just work because the native browser does not return the Dropbox keys required by 1Password to continue, and you're left with a blank screen. Please try an alternative browser from the BlackBerry World and let us know if it works to set up Dropbox sync. Thanks!

• jrgarrigues
    jrgarrigues
    Community Member
    Options

I tried using a new browser with my z10 and it was successful. Previously I was using the standard Blackberry browser; I downloaded Opera to see if it made a difference. Couldn't set Opera to be my default browser, but discovered that when you've got more than one browser installed, 1Password prompts you to select the browser you want to use.

• jrgarrigues
    jrgarrigues
    Community Member
    Options

Got it working on my Blackberry z10. I want to let it bake a bit to make sure it's going to stick, but right now I have it working with Dropbox and have successfully created/edited/deleted on my Mac and on the BB and sync'd them over to the other device. I'll draft up a quick how-to in case there's anybody else trying to do the same thing out there.

• jrgarrigues
    jrgarrigues
    Community Member
    Options

BlackBerry z10
    Software Release - 10.2.1.2179
    BlackBerry Balance enabled (for separation of work/personal stuff) - I can install APKs on the personal side

Steps I took to get 1Password working on my z10:

• Prep work: installed Dolphin Browser from the Amazon Appstore

• To get the build 16 APK, I did the following:

• Installed an older beta version of 1Password (build 14) because I had the APK
      • Upgraded to build 15/16 when prompted to update after initial install of build 14 (the app didn't work at this point)
      • Uninstalled 1Password
      • Using FileManager; went to my Downloads folder and found the build 16 APK install file (it had a crazy name - I used the date/time stamp to ID the correct file - saved a copy of the APK for future use)
    • Installed build 16 from the APK

• Selected the "I'm a new user" path during initial setup
    • Went in to Settings/Sync and enabled "Dropbox sync", but did not select "Sync automatically" or "Sync using cellular data"
    • Backed out into the Categories section and clicked the Sync button
    • On the first pass, 1Password prompted me to select a browser - I selected Dolphin Browser, entered my Dropbox userID/password, and opted to save the info to expedite in the future...
    • 1Password gave me some messages saying that it found the keychain, asked for confirmation to use the file, I acknowledged once and it has worked since.
    • Tested by creating a new login on the bb, then editing & deleting on my Mac, and vice-versa.

Everything is working great so far. Next I'll test the "Sync using cellular data" feature, and if that works, the "Sync automatically" feature.

• jrgarrigues
    jrgarrigues
    Community Member
    Options

Whooooooops - left out one thing that I think might be important. When I "Selected the "I'm a new user" path", I created an account with the same password that I use on my Mac (and that I will be prompted for when I go to open the keychain file in Dropbox).

• jrgarrigues
    jrgarrigues
    Community Member
    Options

I enabled the cellular data and tested offsite - it works fine. I'm still updating manually, but will try the automatic sync feature soon.

• mverde
    Options

@jrgarrigues‌ I'm glad to hear that you were able to get 1Password 4 working on your BB 10 device. Thank you for sharing the process with us.

• jrgarrigues
    jrgarrigues
    Community Member
    Options

Auto-sync is working well on BlackBerry z10.

• saad
    Options

That's awesome to hear! Thanks for letting us know using a different browser did the trick. :)

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member
    edited May 2014
    Options

These Dropbox issues don’t seem to arise if the Android version of Dropbox is installed. I got it from Snap/Google Play, but the one from Amazon may work just fine too. Instead of redirecting you to a browser, it will open a Dropbox authentication panel right within the 1Password app. After the authorisation, everything seems to work. You won’t need the Dropbox app afterwards, so you can just delete it and continue using 1Password with Dropbox. I tested this on a Z10 with version 10.2.1.

• mverde
    Options

I am happy to hear that you were able to get 1Password 4 for Android running on your BlackBerry devices. It is quite impressive that BlackBerry's Android Player manages to replicate Android's VM well enough that there are no major issues so far. That being said, we don't officially support BlackBerry devices at this time, so I want to gently caution our BlackBerry beta testers to make sure that you back up your data. We don't want your data to become stranded in the event that a change that we make for Android has unintended consequences for BlackBerry.

• jrgarrigues
    jrgarrigues
    Community Member
    Options

@mverde - good point on backing up for Blackberry users. I came upon 1Password from the Apple/Mac environment (i.e. my home computers). One of the main attractions for me is that I can sync my passwords across my iPad, iMac, and now my Blackberry as well.

If, as you mention, the Blackberry should suddenly stop working, I assume that it wouldn't corrupt my access when using my iPad or iMac. Does this sound accurate to you, or is it conceivable that not being able to access on my BB might impact my overall ability to access 1Password data?

(this is the assumption that I made when I decided to try the Android Beta. If I'my way off base, I will reconsider. But I certainly hope I'm not because I love this setup!)

• @jrgarrigues‌ We are not aware of any circumstances where using the beta on your BlackBerry would compromise your ability to access your vault on other platforms. However, given that this is beta software running on an unsupported platform, I do suggest making sure that you keep backups of your vault handy. If you are using a recent version of 1Password on your Mac, then it will automatically backup your vault. You can view the list of backups by going to 1Password > Preferences... > Backup. Please let me know if you have any other questions about this.

This discussion has been closed.