Can't log in with Master Password

Options
gordita
gordita
Community Member
edited December 2014 in Lounge

i just bought this app today and is giving me problems already can't log in with my master password. would like to know if i can get my money back i bought it at the app store can anyone tell me how to get my money back thank you

Comments

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

You have to request a refund for anything you purchase from Apple's App Store directly from Apple. There are folks here who are will to try to help you get going, if you're interested in trying that route.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @gordita,

I'm so sorry to hear that you're having trouble with 1Password! I'd be happy to help you get things sorted out so that you don't need a refund. :)

Since you're having trouble with the Master Password, I'll give you just a bit more detail about how the Master Password works in 1Password, but if you have any other issues, we'd be happy to help there as well.

For your privacy and security, your master password is known only by you. We cannot reset it for you and you cannot change it without entering the old one. There is also no "back door" to access your data without the master password. If there were, that would be a security hole that criminals could exploit to steal your information.

If you think you know what the password is, but it is not being accepted, please try some of these tips.

• If you have accents such as è, î and so on, try replacing it with the regular character such as e for è and see if that’ll get you in.
    • Try leaving the caps lock on and/or off. You can also try copying and pasting your master password in a text editor. Make sure it’s an editor that doesn’t sync to the cloud automatically (you wouldn’t want to expose your password in clear view). Copy the password and then paste into the master password field in 1Password.
    • If you entered the password hint for this data file, 1Password will show it automatically in a prompt after every three incorrect attempts. Confirm it’s the right hint that you entered because if not, you may be looking at a different data file.

Please try each tip, for we have found them to be the most common causes of this problem. If you cannot remember the password, you will need to restore from a backup or start over. You can do a restore from File > Restore, or you can start over using this link:

Starting Over

If you've really never stored anything in your 1Password data file then starting over is really easy -- but you'll want to make sure and provide a good "password hint" so you don't forget the master password again.

• prime
    prime
    Community Member
    Options

When I 1st got 1Password I hated it. I downloaded it, got aggravated, and frustrated. After playing around I got use to it. Now over a year later it's my favorite app and have gotten a few friends and family members to get it.

Give it a try and the people here are so helpful. I had some stupid questions in the beginning too and they took the time to explain it to me.

• thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    edited December 2014
    Options

@prime‌

I had some stupid questions in the beginning too and they took the time to explain it to me.

Nothing is stupid, I can assure you. You have only asked some great questions and I guarantee other's were not going to ask or were afraid to ask. Its always that way as my teachers use to say oh so many years ago.

When I 1st got 1Password I hated it. I downloaded it, got aggravated, and frustrated. After playing around I got use to it.

Sounds familiar to me ;) , a few years back. (6 maybe 7 I forget). I was making a heck of a learning curve going from Windows and Roboform to Mac and 1Password at the same time :confounded: .

I was glutton for punishment.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @prime and @thightower‌

Thanks so much for adding your thoughts here! You're right - there are no stupid questions here, and we are always happy to help. :)

Additionally, one of our main focuses is making security convenient. And that involves making 1Password as accessible and easy-to-use as possible. If there are any major pain points that are causing frustration for new users, please do let us know!

This discussion has been closed.