One User's Primary Vault is another's Secondary

Options
Holt26
Holt26
Community Member

Yes, I know it is not recommended, but for brevity, I will not go into why I still want to have User 1's primary vault to show up as User 2's secondary.
Both users running Mac 10.9.5
Both users have separate Dropbox accounts
Both users are running 1Password 4.4.2 on their Macs
Both users are using iPads with iOS 8.1.1
One user has iPhone with iOS8.1.1
Both users sync their 1Password between their respective devices.

I want User 1 with one vault (Primary) to show up as a Secondary vault on User 2's Mac and iPad. Want both User 1 and User 2 to be able to make changes to User 1's Primary vault and have it sync between both users and their devices. No need to share User 2's Primary vault. This is important. Again, for brevity, I will skip the rationalization. Please help with the steps to do this. Thanks very much.

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2014
    Options

Please note: These instructions are specific for the user they are written for. If you wish to use a similar set-up, please let our team know the version numbers of both 1Password and your operating systems for all devices involved, and details on whether the users share a Dropbox account or have their own unique account so that we can provide appropriate instructions.

Hi @Holt26‌

The first step is to share User 1's 1password.agilekeychain and for that we need it stored in an appropriately named folder e.g. User 1's Vault, something that won't clash with anything already in User 2's Dropbox.

1. Assuming User 1 is already syncing their vault you'll need to disable it on all devices. Lets start with your iOS devices. In Settings > Sync > Sync Service you want the Disable Sync option. With Dropbox sync disabled there turn your attention to User 1's Mac where you will want to enter 1Password's preferences and switch to the Backup tab. Click on the Change Syncing... button and tick the checkbox for Delete data from Dropbox as we don't want to keep this agilekeychain and have it confuse matters later.
    2. Create an appropriate folder in Dropbox e.g. User 1's Vault
    3. Re-enable Dropbox sync on User 1's Mac first and make sure you use this new folder so it should look like ~/Dropbox/User 1's Vault/1Password.agilekeychain
    4. Re-enable Dropbox sync on User 1's iOS devices, taking care that it is pointing to the same agilekeychain.
    5. Verify there is only the one 1Password.agilekeychain in User 1's Dropbox.
    6. Follow this Dropbox guide for sharing that folder with User 2.
    7. On User 2's Mac simply double click on the agilekeychain in the shared folder. This will add it as a secondary vault after entering User 1's Master Password.
    8. On User 2's iOS devices you would want to go to Settings > Vaults > Add Vault > Sync with Dropbox and make sure you select the correct 1Password.agilekeychain. This will add User 1's primary vault as a secondary vault on your iOS devices.

If any step isn't in sufficient detail just reply to this thread, letting me know which steps weren't detailed enough. Hopefully though you'll be reporting back that it has all gone well.

• Holt26
    Holt26
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you very much for taking the time to help. I do need a bit of clarification before I take the plunge. Step 2: Do I create the folder on User 1's iMac or mine? Is this folder to be in the existing 1Password folder of Dropbox? Step 3: after re-enabling sync, how to I "make sure" I "use" this new folder? Is User 1 in effect no longer going to use the existing 1Password.agilekeychain that exists now in the 1Password folder in Dropbox? Step 5: Do I delete the existing 1Password.agilekeychain so I only have the new one in User's 1's Dropbox? Thanks again. I very much appreciate your help and patience.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Holt26,

Step 2: Do I create the folder on User 1's iMac or mine?

Create this folder on User 1's computer. Step 6 gives you instructions on how to share User 1's folder to User 2's Dropbox account.

Is this folder to be in the existing 1Password folder of Dropbox?

You can put this folder in any location in Dropbox that makes sense to you. The one caveat (on Dropbox's end) is that you can't share a folder that is already inside a shared folder. If you have no other shared folders in Dropbox right now, then you don't have to worry about this.

Step 3: after re-enabling sync, how to I "make sure" I "use" this new folder?

When you re-enable sync, you will be asked to choose a location to sync to. At this time, you'll want to select the 'User 1' folder.

Is User 1 in effect no longer going to use the existing 1Password.agilekeychain that exists now in the 1Password folder in Dropbox? Step 5: Do I delete the existing 1Password.agilekeychain so I only have the new one in User's 1's Dropbox?

Correct. You'll notice in the instructions above that we actually want to remove that 1Password.agilekeychain file when we disable sync. (It is important to note that your 1Password database is always stored locally on your system in addition to the 'sync' location in Dropbox. So we're merely removing a copy of your data here, not deleting your database entirely.)

A word of caution

I know that you're familiar with the earlier discussion about sharing primary vaults and likely recall the potential complications here, but I want to include a word of caution here for any other users who come across this thread.

There are some significant differences in the way that primary and secondary vaults are designed, and we do not recommend that you set up 1Password to share vaults in this manner. Because the primary keychain is always called 1Password.agilekeychain, there is a higher potential for confusion between vaults.

If sync ever becomes disconnected, it is very important to ensure that you select the correct 1Password.agilekeychain file to sync to when re-setting sync.

This will be easier if:

• You organize the 1Password.agilekeychain files in separate subfolders (as instructed above)
    • Ensure that each vault has a unique Master Password hint. When re-setting sync, 1Password will prompt for the Master Password of the vault you are attempting to sync to if it is different than the vault you are viewing. The Master Password hints are shown in the dialogue box and can be a good clue that you may have selected the wrong 1Password.agilekeychain file.
  • Holt26
    Holt26
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Megan. Thanks very much for the detailed instructions. I now have it set up and now I no longer have the troubles (understatement) I had in the past with mother often resetting her passwords while I am usually the one who has to log into something for her. Just in case there are others out there like me who seem to need very detailed instructions, please let me note the following. On step 1, I think you assumed I was User 1, so when you said start with "your" iOS, I started with me instead of User 1. Then when told to go to preferences and switch to the Backup tab, it is actually the Sync tab. Thanks again Megan. I've been chasing this solution for a long time and if is was not for you I would still be lost.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Holt26,

On behalf of Megan, you're very welcome! I'm really glad to hear the steps were helpful for you. And thank you for your notes on those steps, I imagine that could be helpful for someone else who find the instructions here.

If you need anything else, just let us know - we're always happy to help! :)

This discussion has been closed.