Cannot paste to Microsoft email login

drew289
drew289
Community Member

I'm unable to paste my username or password when trying to login into a web based Microsoft login.live.com email account. The user name is auto-filled by MS with someone@example.com and when I try to paste my user name into it, the someone@example.com gets highlighted and there is no option to do a paste command. This happens with password entry as well and I am unable to paste into that box. I've had to manually type in my info as pasting doesn't seem to work for me.

Comments

• I can appreciate that it would be frustrating to have to manually type in your username and password here - especially if your passwords are as long and random as mine! Have you tried using the built-in browser in 1Password? Or if you are on Lollipop and using our latest beta, have you tried using our accessibility service to fill the your credentials in Chrome? Both of these options work on my devices.

When I viewed the source for the Live login page, I noticed that Microsoft is doing a lot with JavaScript on that page. It is possible that some of this JavaScript is interfering with Android's normal copy and paste functionality. I certainly see some odd behaviour when I attempt to copy and paste into the text fields using Chrome. I expect that you will see these same issues regardless of whether you are copying from 1Password or another source though. I hope that explanation helps!

• drew289
    drew289
    Community Member

No Lollipop yet for 1st gen Moto X nor Nexus 7. I don't think I can invoke the built-in browser because it isn't available as far as I can tell.

Here's an example of what I'm experiencing with the app Feedly. Sometimes it requires me to log back into the app and once I attempt login as an existing user, it pops up known possibly accounts associated with Google, Facebook, Twitter, MS and Evernote. I hit the MS logo and it pulls up the Sign In page for a Microsoft account. This is where I've had problems with being able to paste into the login name and password. There is no option to use the 1Password browser here. So I've ended up having to type in all characters in both dialog boxes. This happens with any app that is associated with a Microsoft login email. I just wanted to make sure it wasn't something that I was doing wrong when cutting and pasting into the page.

Thanks.

• StanWiz
    StanWiz
    Community Member

This is MS way of protecting us from ourselves , or rather the mess that they created with their os. You can't paste your user name and/or password in outlook - this is to prevent us from using the clipboard to store sensitive data ( which is basically unsecured).

Your options are to save it in your browser or use a pw manager - which ,at this time ,not work ( securly) on android.

• @drew289 It doesn't sound like you are doing anything wrong here. Since the web interface for signing-in is being provided in the Feedly app, you are correct that the built-in browser in 1Password won't be any help there. This is also an edge-case that the Lollipop-only filling feature won't be able to help with at the moment. For now, it looks like your best and only option is to type those credentials in by hand. I'm sorry I don't have anything better to offer at this point! Let me know if there is anything else I can help with though.

• drew289
    drew289
    Community Member

Thanks for the explanation. I'm fine with it as these instances are seldom and only happen when I have to log back in.

• @drew289 You're welcome for the explanation. I'm glad to hear that these occurrences are seldom. Even though they are infrequent, it would still be nice to be able to address those situations as well. We will continue to look for opportunities to do so. Thanks for the feedback!

This discussion has been closed.