1Password and in-laws

Options
prime
prime
Community Member
edited November 2014 in Lounge

So a few weeks ago I was helping my in-laws get ready for their big trip. I been showing my father in laws about 1Password since I got it. Now my father in law is one of those people I look up too, and I am careful what I recommend too. He saw how much I liked my iPhone, and he got one. He loves it and finds it very easy to use. So while I was upgrading his MacBook to Yosemite, he got 1Password after me talking about it for a while.

My in-laws use separate iTunes/Apple IDs so using iCloud was out of the question. For some reason I never has luck with wifi syncing, and I am still working on getting that to work for my set up. So for them, I set up Dropbox to sync. I set up 2 step verification on it as well for extra security. All seems fine, and my father in law set up a very strong master password. The set up is 1 MacBook with 2 users, 2 iPhones, and an iPad.

So last weekend we went over and I was very impressed to see my father in law has a lot of password set up, and changed them all. He got use to it and enjoys it very much. Now since they are getting ready for their trip, they turned off their internet at their home. So we were using the hotspot on the cellphones and all seemed to work nice, I was thinking if wifi sync would work better. I was thinking they might not have internet 100%, but if they had a router set up in their camper, it should sync. I guess I will see how all good when they come back in a few months. Maybe by then I'll master wifi syncing. Who knows, they might not need it and Dropbox will be fine.

One thing I was thinking while I was setting up their 1Password was, why does Dropbox need to be on the MacBook? I can set up 1Password with Dropbox sync on my iPhone and iPad without having Dropbox on them. Another thing, correct me if I am wrong about this, but It would be nice to have a "sync now" option on the MacBook version. Is there one? I don't remember seeing it.

My next project will be in a few months. I have a friend who owns his own company and just helping him out set up his network, he's a hackers dream. This is where vaults will come in handy because co-workers will will need access to some passwords.

Comments

• prime
    prime
    Community Member
    Options

I hate how I can't edit this now. Darn iPad for autocorrecting he into her..

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

I fixed that for you.

• prime
    prime
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks!

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @prime,

First of all, it's awesome to hear that your father-in-law is getting along well with 1Password!

why does Dropbox need to be on the MacBook? I can set up 1Password with Dropbox sync on my iPhone and iPad without having Dropbox on them.

On iOS, there is no visible file system, so 1Password for iOS has to make use of Dropbox's API to sync data to your Dropbox folder in the cloud. Because we're making use of the API, there is no need for the Dropbox app on your device. On Mac, we do not use a Dropbox API for sync. Essentially, 1Password will update the local folder (in your computer's Dropbox folder), Dropbox will notice this change and sync the changes to the cloud. This means that the Dropbox app does need to be installed on your Mac to make the syncing happen.

Another thing, correct me if I am wrong about this, but It would be nice to have a "sync now" option on the MacBook version. Is there one? I don't remember seeing it.

There is not 'sync now' option on the Mac version, because sync happens automatically after data has been changed on your Mac. Try editing an item, or creating a new one. As soon as you hit save, you should see the Dropbox icon in your menu bar updating.

I hope this helps!

• prime
    prime
    Community Member
    Options

This makes sense. Just stuff that comes to my mind as I play around with it. Next project is my mother, and that should be fun.... :|
    I will probably get her this for Christmas as just the other day her email was hacked into. Now I am not sure what I will use to sync because there are a lot of pros and cons of iCloud and Dropbox.

I like iCloud because it's so easy to use, but it is limited to Apple only (which is ok, she has all Apple). My daughter uses this and it works great! She never has any issues at all with it and doesn't have to think about it.

Dropbox is nice because it works on all platforms, and to me acts as a back up. I always think of the worse that can happen all the time. So if something happens and her Mac dies, her iPhone, and her iPad, the Dropbox is a great back up that she can re-sync any to platforms. She can also in an emrgancy access if from a computer. The down fall is my nephews like to play on her computer even though I set up a guest side for them to use. I can see them playing with the Dropbox on the computer and messing something up.

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member
    Options

The down fall is my nephews like to play on her computer even though I set up a guest side for them to use.

Give them their own accounts and don't give them access to the Dropbox folder.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@prime,

I think @RichardPayne‌'s solution here is a good one, if you do decide to go with Dropbox. You're right, there are advantages to each option.

I hope the installation for mom goes as well as for your father-in-law! :)

• prime
    prime
    Community Member
    Options

@RichardPayne‌ and @Megan‌ I have the guest side set up for the kids who come over. The main issue is my mom will just stay logged on because she goes on a few times a day. Then the grandkids come over and just jump on the computer (heaven forbid they go outside and play..).

I might just set the computer up that it logs out automatically or something. This way when my nephews come over, the only side they can log on is the guest side.

• benfdc
    benfdc
    Community Member
    edited December 2014
    Options

@prime—

Excellent posts!!

Here is something you might want to try with your Mom on her Mac:

Go to the General tab of the Security & Privacy preference pane and set the system to demand a password when waking from sleep or dismissing the screensaver. Then put a short timer on the screensaver (Desktop & Screen Saver preference pane) or sleep settings (Energy Saver preference pane). That should keep your nephews out of your Mom’s account, but they still would be able to switch to the Guest account, or to their own accounts if you choose to set them up.

Your Mom might (or might not) want to relax these auto-lock settings when the young ’uns aren’t around. My wife is far more security-conscious than I am in most respects, but she really likes the convenience of being able to wake her Mac from sleep without having to re-enter her password each time. When she wants to lock down her account she does it manually, either by logging off or by
    switching to the login screen. Diff’rent strokes for diff’rent folks.

• prime
    prime
    Community Member
    Options

@benfdc‌ I might just give them a user side, this way it's them and not "guest". Also I am going to upgrade her computer soon, so I'll change the screen saver settings then.

Thanks for the help!

Now I just need 1Password to go on sale in the Mac app store :smiley:

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @prime,

I'm glad to hear you're figuring out a solution for those nephews. :)

You know I can't spill any details about future sales, but stay tuned to our blog, Twitter (@1Password) and Facebook, or sign up for our newsletters ... we'll be sure to announce the next sale when it happens!

• prime
    prime
    Community Member
    Options

@Megan‌ I'm on all :smile: I just hope I don't over look and forget.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @prime,

I figured you were pretty well informed already ... that blurb was mostly for anyone else who might happen upon the thread. ;)

This discussion has been closed.