Correct method for setting up a child's Vault that is shared with the Parent

Options
popopop
popopop
Community Member

As a parent, I have a couple of computers and I share a primary vault between them via Dropbox.

My child will one day have their own computer. I want to set up a Vault for them that I can oversee from my computer. But not let them see my Vault, obviously.

My understanding is that when I install 1pass on a computer and load up a Primary Vault, that becomes THE primary vault for that computer. Correct?

Right now, I'm thinking that for my child, I will create a Vault from my acct on my computer, and sync that to Dropbox. Let's call that "kidVault".

On my child's computer, I add Dropbox, connect Dropbox to my dropbox folder, and the keychains will download onto my child's computer. Then I install 1pass, and open the "kidVault" file and that will become the primary vault on my child's computer. Any changes to it will then be synced to Dropbox and I will see them. But my child will not be able to see MY vault of course, only their own.

I hope I've explained this okay. I've been trying to think thru how shared and primary vaults interact and I'm starting to spiral.

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @popopop‌,

Thanks for taking the time to write in! I'd be happy to help you get this sorted out here.

It sounds to me like you've got the right idea here. Essentially 'kidVault' will be a secondary vault for you, but if you want your child to only have access to this vault on their computer, you'll want to ensure that Dropbox is loaded first so that when you open up 1Password it will find the keychain in Dropbox and prompt for the Master Password of that vault.

If you are connecting your own Dropbox account to your child's computer, when you set up 1Password, make sure that you are selecting 'kidVault.agilekeychain' and not your own keychain. You might consider setting up a separate Dropbox account for your child and then simply sharing the folder that the .agilekeychain files is in between your Dropbox accounts. Either option is fine, I suppose it just depends how much data you store in Dropbox other than 1Password. :)

I hope this has stalled your spiral, at least a bit. But if you have more questions, we're here to help!

• popopop
    popopop
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you for the quick reply! It looks like next I need to learn how to bend Dropbox a bit. On my way...

• Ben
    Options

Great! On behalf of Megan you are very welcome. Please do let us know if you need any more help with 1Password!

• benfdc
    benfdc
    Community Member
    Options

@popopop—

I would strongly recommend using @Megan’s shared folder approach. Otherwise there is a chance that your child—inadvertently, I’m sure—could wreak havoc with all of the files that you store in your Dropbox account, including your primary 1Password vault. Even if you are diligent about backing up your computer, there is no reason to tempt fate.

BTW, two can play the secondary vault game. Once Junior gets comfortable with the system, your child can set up a secondary vault that you would not be able to monitor so easily. An alternative strategy—a bit more complex but eminently feasible—would be for your child to use a different password manager for stuff meant to be shielded from prying parental eyes. Please do not misunderstand my point—I think that setting up a kidVault is an excellent way to teach your child how to use Dropbox and how to use a password manager to stay secure on the internet. These are both very valuable things. However, if you are thinking that a kidVault would provide you with a reliable way to “oversee” all of your child’s online accounts then I suggest that you think again.

• popopop
    popopop
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you benfdc. I am getting my head around the shared folder idea yes -- it seems like a good protective measure.

And your point about alternate vaults and so on is something I've always had in mind. I'm still in the lovely phase of explaining basic ideas like 'passwords' and 'privacy', which has a nice corollary that Junior actually likes having a grown-up to check and handhold. I figure since we're learning about this stuff anyway why not learn proper management techniques from the start and just be done with it. When the time comes for Junior to pursue private activities away from parental view that will be part of a larger conversation :-)

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I'm glad you're thinking strongly about the security of your data and teaching Junior about it as you go. That's what we like to see! :)

If you have more questions about 1Password, we're here for you.

This discussion has been closed.