Difference between 1password and 1password5 and Anchor icon.

Options
Matlas
Matlas
Community Member

Two questions: 1. I have a new Macbook Air-I see in the launch pad 1password and 1password5. What is the difference and do I keep both.It seems everything is in 1password5? 2. What is the anchor icon in lower left corner of login opposite the edit selection when you open a login say to amazon from the menu bar?

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options
    1. It sounds as if you have both Mac App Store (1Password) and AgileBits store (1Password 5) versions installed. Is that a possibility? I assume you're running OS X Yosemite as you have 1P5. It's not a good idea to have two versions of 1P on your Mac if so because Yosemite can get itself into quite a muddle about which one to start. Let's take this slowly to work out which version you really need to keep. Remember you can't use iCloud sync if you don't have the Mac App Store version. You say all your data are in the 1Password 5 version (which is the AgileBits store version). Are you happy with that and not using iCloud to sync?
    2. You can use the anchor icon to anchor the relevant login to your desktop to make it easier to cut and paste details (a password, for example) from it.

Stephen

• Matlas
    Matlas
    Community Member
    Options

Stephen, Thanks for getting back to me. listed below are the two versions I have. I got the 1password5 at the app store and it seems 1password showed up when I installed 1password5. Both icons appear in launch pad and which ever one is open is the one that is active and located in menu toolbar as the mini version. There is nothing in the Apple 1password copy, everything I have stored is in the 1password5 version. When I tried to delete 1password (App Store Version) I lost all my data and had to restore from Time Machine back to both copies. Any suggestions on which one I should keep and how to get rid of the other with out losing my data. Also whether to use drop box or iCloud?
    I currently use iCloud and have purchased more space for all my photos, apps, docs etc.
    Thanks,
    M

1Password 5
    Version 5.0.2 (502007)
    Agile Web Store

1Password
    Version 5.0.2 (502006)
    Mac App Store

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

If you use iCloud you need to keep the Mac App Store version. That's the position from which you need to start.

From what you say:

When I tried to delete 1password (App Store Version) I lost all my data and had to restore from Time Machine back to both copies.

it sounds as if all your information is in the Mac App Store version ("1Password")...even though you also say:

There is nothing in the Apple 1password copy, everything I have stored is in the 1password5 version

My first suggestion is to ensure you have a current backup of your data. You can make 1P create one by going to 1P > Preferences > Backup and then click on Backup Now. If you can do it easily you might also turn off iCloud sync, turn on Folder Sync and create, using Folder Sync, an agilekychain on your Desktop (folder). That will act as another form of backup.

You might then have a look at this knowledge base article which tells you how to migrate from the AgileBits store version to the Mac App Store version. It should help you get rid of the AgileBits store version and retain the App Store version.

As a final word, if any of this makes you concerned about losing data (for example, if you're still confused about which version contains your data) do wait until an AgileBits expert comes along. He or she may have a better suggestion—or at least be able to express it more clearly than I have!

Stephen

• Hi @Matlas,

Which you decide to you is really a personal preference. If you want iCloud sync then that makes the decision easy (you should use the Mac App Store version). If iCloud isn't a big thing for you, then it really doesn't matter, but you need to pick which you'd like to stick with. Once you've made a decision about which you'd like to use, let us know and we can guide you to making sure your data is in the right place and we can help you remove the other.

Rick

• Matlas
    Matlas
    Community Member
    Options

Rick,
    I would like to use the sync method that gives me the most security and flexibility(3rd party apps plus apple apps etc) to use my laptop,iPad and iPhone. If iCloud is it great but I do have wifi or dropbox capability.
    Thanks

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Matlas,

I am so glad you are thinking about the security of your data - thats what we like to see!

The great thing about 1Password is that the security of your data never depends on the security of the sync service that you choose. This means that we can be very confident about storing 1Password data in the cloud.

Your data file is encrypted with an exceedingly secure encryption algorithm called AES. Even if someone were to acquire a copy of your 1Password data file, it would be extremely difficult (approaching impossible in a human lifetime) for them to actually gain access to your passwords without your Master Password. In short, we believe it is just as secure as having the data on your laptop. To learn more about cloud data security, have a read through our Knowledgebase article on Cloud Security.

And you can see the thoughts behind our data format's design here.

Also, you can check out our blog for many more articles that go into the nitty gritty math behind what makes 1Password so secure.

In terms of flexibility, Dropbox is our most flexible solution, as it is available for Mac, iOS, Windows and Android. Some users prefer iCloud, as it is built right into their Mac/iOS system, with no need to download a separate app. We do our best to offer a variety of sync options so that users can choose what is best for their needs.

I hope this helps, but we're here if you have any further questions or concerns!

• Matlas
    Matlas
    Community Member
    Options

Megan or Rick,
    Alright, If there is no other difference between 1password and 1password5 besides the ability to sync with iCloud I would like to use iCloud to sync. I Ibought 1password through the apple app store for $34.99 (1Password 5 Version 5.0.2 (502007)
    Agile Web Store). Some how both 1password and 1password5 are on my computer. I have entered my bookmarks and credit cards etc into 1password5. My plan is to add my iPhone,iPad and my wife's computer and iPhone after I get my computer set up and running well with 1password.
    Can you help me please get the correct version running and my already entered data into it so I can use iCloud sync and get rid of the other so it does not interfere with my use of 1password. Thanks

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Matlas‌

Here's what I would suggest.

1. Open whichever copy of 1Password you normally open, the one where you can see all of your entries.
    2. Enter 1Password's Preferences and go to the Backup tab. Click on Backup Now and then click the Show Files button.
    3. You will now have a Finder window open at the location of your 1Password backup files. Copy the latest one to your Desktop.
    4. Go back to 1Password and quit it using the ⌃⌘Q keyboard shortcut, this will quit both 1Password and 1Password mini.
    5. Drag the copy of 1Password 5 to your Trash.
    6. Reboot your Mac
    7. When you launch 1Password if it behaves like you're a new user then you can follow this guide and point it to you backup file on your Desktop and we have a page specifically about doing this.
    8. You would then want to set up iCloud Sync and we have a guide for that too.

If in step 7. 1Password launches and behaves like you have a vault already see if your normal Master Password works. If it does and the contents of your vault are there you're fine and can proceed to step 8. If you can't then it sounds like at some point a second vault has been created and we will need to get rid of that. For that you'd want to follow the steps in our Starting Over guide, following the steps for the If you use the Mac App Store version of 1Password:.

If you have any questions before doing any of this please let us know and we'll work with you to ensure you feel confident about what you need to do.

• Matlas
    Matlas
    Community Member
    Options

Ok I followed your instructions- I copied latest backup onto desktop, erased 1password5 and rebooted. Went to open 1password and the login screen popped up and I entered my master password and the vault opened with nothing in it. According to your advice above it sounds like a second vault was created and I need to get rid of that. Can you help me do this without losing all the data I have already entered which should be in backup I copied onto my desk top.
    thanks

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Matlas‌

What you'll want to do is follow our guide for Starting Over. I advise following the steps for both versions of 1Password, both the Web Store and the MAS. With both sets of support folders moved and the reboot completed, 1Password should behave as if it had never been opened before. If it isn't, I can only assume you've been a 1Password 3 user waay back^

At that point what you will want to do is follow the guides for Getting started again on a new computer and specifically Restore from backup, using the backup file on your Desktop.

You'll not that all of the steps talk about moving folders not deleting so nothing is irreversibly destroyed by anything you have done or are about to do.

^ If you have been a 1Password 3 user on this machine you may also need to move the following folder to your Desktop or wherever you're storing all the support folders that were in your Library folder. This additional folder to move is ~/Library/Application Support/1Password

Let us know how you get along.

• Matlas
    Matlas
    Community Member
    Options

I am really getting frustrated. I followed all the steps and when I opened 1password it said it found my data in iCloud and then asked for my master password and it opened an empty vault. I have my data saved on my desk top plus the other two files from the library as you recommended. I feel like this is taking way to much of my time and energy and that maybe the program is not what it is advertised. can you help me to get this to work or is this not possible. I really would appreciate getting this running. Thanks.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Matlas‌

I apologise that this is taking so long to fix. It seems you have quite a few places where 1Password has stored information.

Open 1Password and go into its preferences. Switch to the Sync tab and click on the Change Syncing.. button. There will be a checkbox in the confirmation window, please tick that to delete the iCloud data which represents this empty vault and confirm.

As you already have a good backup of all your items on your Desktop from the steps in post #9 I would like you to follow the Starting Over guide but with one small difference. In the guide it suggests moving the folders somewhere safe like your Desktop. The folders at the moment though represent an empty vault that was stored in your iCloud. You don't want or care about the empty vault so in that Starting Over guide simply drag the folders to your Trash. You can do this because you have your good backup on your Desktop.

At this point we should have taken care of each redundant copy of your vault and you should be able to follow the guides for Getting started again on a new computer and specifically Restore from backup, using the backup file on your Desktop.

In the horrifying position where you still can't, and you're still being asked for a Master Password it ought to look like this (see below).

If you click where it says click here you will get a drop down menu and you can select the option of Restore from backup... (see below)

This should result in a vault with the contents of your backup in 1Password (MAS) as you deleted the 1Password 5.app following the steps in post #9.

Then all you need to do is set up syncing with iCloud (which will be empty now) and you should hopefully be able to stop cursing 1Password and me and get back to using it to keep your passwords secure and synchronised over your various machines and devices.

• Matlas
    Matlas
    Community Member
    edited December 2014
    Options

Now I am really in trouble. It is worse than before. The whole problem started when I purchased 1password5 from Agilebits website and both copies downloaded onto my computer (1password5 and 1password). I feel like I am very computer tech savvy with 20 years of Mac ownership. This is not a good experience. Is it possible to speak with someone directly? This is not a reasonable use of my time. I trashed all the files on my desk top except my 1password5 backup data as recommended and went through the starting over as you explained. I cannot even explain what is going on. I have a copy of 1password on my launch pad. When I open it says welcome. When I click on Awesome lets get started nothing happens but there is 1password on upper menu bar. Nowhere do I ever see a restore from back up. I think I should erase anything 1password from my computer and start over and if that does not fix the problem I would like my money back.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Matlas,

I'm so sorry that this process has been frustrating for you. Let's get a better idea of what's going on here.

I'd like to ask you to create a Diagnostics Report from your Mac:
    https://guides.agilebits.com/kb/1password4/en/topic/diagnostics-report#mac4

Then attach the entire file to an email to us: support+forum@agilebits.com

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report in our inbox.

A short note here once you've sent the Report in will help us to keep an eye out for it. :)

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks in advance!

• Matlas
    Matlas
    Community Member
    Options

I have done the diagnostics and sent you an email with the report. Thanks

• Matlas
    Matlas
    Community Member
    Options

Did not know how to leave a link to this thread in my email

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Matlas‌

I've found your email and we shall continue the discussion there.

ref: ENV-58577-496

• Matlas
    Matlas
    Community Member
    Options

Re: [#ENV-58577-496] 1Password 4 Diagnostics Report for
    Sent email response to Adam Re this issue.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Continuing the conversation via email :smile:

This discussion has been closed.