Security Questions deprecated?

Options
wkleem
wkleem
Community Member

I went into my Google Account and was informed that it was no longer needed. I believe Apple has done away with the security questions once the 2 Factor Verification is accepted.

Comments

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I went into my Google Account and was informed that it was no longer needed.

Your Google account is no longer needed?

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    Options

The security questions linked to that account aren't needed any more.

From Google:

We no longer support security questions as a way to access your account.

Please consider adding a recovery phone or recovery email address to keep your account secure.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Well, they're certainly still in use at my bank, though I can check a "skip on this computer" option, if I want to.

(I'm not sure I understand the part about Apple having done away with security questions on a Google account.)

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member
    Options

I went into my Google Account and was informed that it was no longer needed. I believe Apple has done away with the security questions once the 2 Factor Verification is accepted.

Yep, looks like they finally removed security questions. This is great news. Seurity questions are just a weaker form of passwords anyway. I had already used 1Password to create and store the questions and answers, but now I don't have to do even that.

(I'm not sure I understand the part about Apple having done away with security questions on a Google account.)

Probably it was meant to describe a general trend. Apple did away with security answers and questions for your Apple ID if you had two step verification enabled. Now, Google are following and are removing them from your Google account.

That being said, I don't think this directly relates to 1Password for Windows. Perhaps move it to the Lounge?

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    edited December 2014
    Options

Probably it was meant to describe a general trend. Apple did away with security answers and questions for your Apple ID if you had two step verification enabled. Now, Google are following and are removing them from your Google account.

Spot on @Xe997, I could have described it better. Please move this post to the Lounge. I thought it was where I posted it originally.

One thing that I have noticed is that if you have multiple Apple IDs, you cannot use a phone number associated with the 2 factor verification on separate AppleIDs and expect the 2FA to work apart from the original. The Security questions will still be there on other Apple IDs.

• thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    Options

@wkleem‌

One thing that I have noticed is that if you have multiple Apple IDs, you cannot use a phone number associated with the 2 factor verification on separate AppleIDs and expect the 2FA to work apart from the original. The Security questions will still be there on other Apple IDs.

I have 2 Factor Authentication setup on about 8 (correction 12 just counted) different Apple ID's (his / hers / family shared / kids ) going all the way back to .mac and all have the same phone numbers setup.

All the wife's ids have mine as a backup number, all mine have hers as a backup number. All have a third backup number for a relative for extra security and peace of mind.

All my accounts no longer have questions and have a recovery key.

• Ben
    Options

I've still experienced a number of sites that use security questions as a means of recovery for a forgotten password. Not my preference for this sort of recovery, but not necessarily insecure:

:)

I have seen more sites getting away from security questions for routine logins and instead sending an email/SMS for verification. Security questions aren't really a second factor. They are still "something you know." The email/SMS arguably falls into the "something you have" category, making it a second factor.

Thanks!

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    Options

@hightower Thanks for the comment. It's not working for me. I'll have to figure out what's happening here. I have never used .mac or .me at all. My Apple ID was something that I registered years ago but didn't take advantage of it iOS 6.

@bwoodruff Thanks for the link.

This discussion has been closed.