Where Is the Extention For Safari / Yosemite ??

I'm sure this topic has been covered so I apologize in advance for the duplication but I just spent 20 minutes futzing around with 1Password - including, would you believe it, not being able to find a password for THIS FORUM! - so rather than searching further I"m just going to post this.

I have 1Password v3x. I just upgraded my OS to Yosemite.

I mostly use Firefox for browsing, and whatever version of Firefox I'm using adapted to the new OS w/ 1Password extension, no problem.

But I occasionally use Safari, and there is no 1Password extention/button in Safari, and I have tried to figure out how to create one - but every time I click on Browser Extensions in 1Password Preferences it opens Firefox

And now I see that there is a version 4.x of 1Password. Do I need that for 1PW to work in Yosemite or... what??

So, somebody please tell me what is the viable path to getting 1Password to work in Safari v8.x on Yosemite.

Thanks,

--PS

P.S. so what, is this the only way to get support from Agile Bits? That's fine, but is it too much to ask for an e-mail notification function from this forum - like almost every other forum on the Internet offers - or do I have to leave this page open and keep hitting "refresh" to see if anybody has replied? Sheesh...

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2014

Hi @driver49‌

First of all, I sincerely apologize for the frustration here.

is this the only way to get support from Agile Bits? That's fine, but is it too much to ask for an e-mail notification function from this forum - like almost every other forum on the Internet offers - or do I have to leave this page open and keep hitting "refresh" to see if anybody has replied?

At this time, the discussion forums are the quickest way to get in touch with our team. We've experienced a surge in support requests via email, and we're working to get back to our usual snappy responses. We're prioritizing support in the forums because we're able to help a larger number of users more efficiently.

We have heard from some users that the forum notifications are not quite ideal by default. We certainly don't want you to miss a reply from us! You can change your forum notifications here.

So, somebody please tell me what is the viable path to getting 1Password to work in Safari v8.x on Yosemite.

If you're using 1Password 3, you want to be sure that you're also using the 1Password 3 extensions. You can find those on version 3's extension download page.

1Password 5 is the latest and greatest version of 1Password, designed to work (and look) great in Apple's latest operating OS X 10.10 (Yosemite). If you'd like to upgrade, just enter your 1Password 3 license on our upgrade page to see your discount on a shiny new 1Password 5 license. :)

• driver49
    driver49
    Community Member

First, apologies for the snark at the end of the first msg - I did get an e-mail notification of your reply, but there was no way of knowing that's how the forum works...

Second, OK, so I upgrade for $25 from v3 to v5... fair enough (so far my "free" Yosemite upgrade has cost me at least $100 in software upgrades...). If I install v5, will it easily and painlessly install the extention for Safari w/o any additional futzing around on my part? That would be worth the $25. But if I have to go search and download and install etc... you know... not so much. Hopefully it's easier than whatever I have to to to get v3 working with the current OS/browser.

Finally, if I do spend that $25, I can run 1Password on at least two machines, right? Laptop and desktop...??

Thanks,

--PS

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @driver49,

I'm glad to hear that your notifications are behaving properly. I know that forums can be a bit of a new experience, and they certainly don't all work the same, so your question was more than reasonable!

We have a User Guide article that will walk you through the process of upgrading from 1Password 3. The article shows screenshots from 1Password 4, but the process is the same for 1Password 5. You will need to update the browser extensions as well, but there is documentation in the guide that can help there:

Our developers have completely re-designed the extensions for 1Password 4/5, and I think you'll see a much improved experience if you decide to update.

Finally, if I do spend that $25, I can run 1Password on at least two machines, right? Laptop and desktop...??

A single license for 1Password 5 for Mac allows you (and up to five family members in the same household) to install 1Password on as many Macs as you use. :)

• driver49
    driver49
    Community Member

Boy... what a gauntlet to go through!

I have purchased v5. I have removed v3 extension from Firefox, Safari, and Chrome. I have then installed the new extension for all three browsers. It all seems to be operating properly so far.

Can I now safely remove v3 from my applications folder?

Thanks,

--PS

• Yessir! Sorry for the gauntlet. :)

Please let us know if you need anything else.

• driver49
    driver49
    Community Member

I don't know if one has anything to do with the other, but I just removed 1PW3 from my applications folder (along with some ancillary files identified by my AppCleaner application), and now 1PW5 (I assume) is giving me an error message that says " Backup Failed - 1Password failed to create a backup: Error Domain =NSCocoaE.... " I would upload a screenshot but don't seen option for that.

FWIW, I have my key file stored in Dropbox so that it's accessible across all my devices.

Any idea what's the issue here? Will it go away if I reboot... or is that just gonna make it worse?

Thanks,

--PS

• driver49
    driver49
    Community Member

And a few minutes later it happened again, so I guess I'm going to have to reboot and see what happens... hope somebody replies soon... ?

• driver49
    driver49
    Community Member

Could somebody please answer this question about the failed backups? You have apparently added a feature with no configuration options - I can't tell the program where to put its backups - and it is trying to perform backup like every 10 minutes and warning me that it can't find the backups. Over and over and over again, all day long. This is not a good feature. It needs to be fixed NOW and before I install 1PW5 on any other computers.

If it's any help, when I open "find files" in Preferences, it is showing a folder in my Library /application support/1Password4/Backups. I have no idea where that came from or why it says "1Password 4" because I thought I was running 1Password 3 until I made the upgrade.

And while I'm typing this, 1PW5 informed me AGAIN that it cannot perform it's backup, and will tell me AGAIN in a few minutes, so you REALLY NEED TO MAKE THIS STOP NOW.

• AppCleaner

Yep, that is probably why. We highly recommend against using any sort of app cleaner or uninstaller programs with 1Password as they have a tendency to remove important files that are used by the current version of the application.

I suspect in order to undo the damage you'll need to reinstall the application. To do so, please launch 1Password and press Ctrl+Cmd+Q. This will fully quit 1Password and 1Password Mini. Then download a fresh copy (where you'll do this depends on where you purchased from... If it was from us you can download here: https://agilebits.com/downloads ). Drag the current copy to the trash from the Applications folder (do not use an app cleaner or uninstaller). Move the freshly downloaded copy from your Downloads folder into the Applications folder.

If you are still having the problem after following this procedure I'd like to ask you to create a Diagnostics Report from your Mac:
    https://guides.agilebits.com/kb/1password4/en/topic/diagnostics-report#mac4

Then attach the entire file to an email to us: support+forum@agilebits.com

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report in our inbox.

A short note here once you've sent the Report in will help us to keep an eye out for it. :)

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks in advance!

P.S. Please do not directly message staff members unless asked to do so. Thanks!!

• driver49
    driver49
    Community Member

OK, I've followed the instructions above... 1PW5 seems to be running nominally, though it will be a few mins at least before I know if the backups are failing.

In the meantime, I did go into the prefs panel to find the backups, and they are still in a folder called "1Password 4" - not five, and I could swear the last v I had was 3.x, so why there's a folder for 4 is a bit of a mystery.

I do like the new version - the "mini" in the menu bar in particular should come in handy. While I have your attention can you pls steer me to a web page that might acquaint me with the newest features (hell, if I skipped v4 I might need to know some old features...)?

For example, I note "mini" version has some folders associated with it, and the four folders that I see there - at least one is a reference to something I haven't used in over a year. What's the point to folders, who do I manage them?

I'll check in again here in an hour and let you know if the backups issue has ceased. It's been about 7 minutes so far...

Thanks,

--PS

• driver49
    driver49
    Community Member

It occurs to me to ask: before I install 1PW5 on my desktop (iMac) which also has v3 running presently, care to suggest a proper upgrade path that can remove the old program and not screw up the new one (or lose all my settings going form one to the next - my keychain is in dropbox).

• driver49
    driver49
    Community Member

It's been about 45 minutes now and no backup failures, so I guess we skinned that cat.

• driver49
    driver49
    Community Member

Now pls tell me the correct upgrade path for my other computer. Thanks.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @driver49‌

While I have your attention can you pls steer me to a web page that might acquaint me with the newest features (hell, if I skipped v4 I might need to know some old features...)?

Our User Guides and Knowledgebase has a ton of useful walkthroughs for the new features of 1Password 5.

For example, I note "mini" version has some folders associated with it, and the four folders that I see there - at least one is a reference to something I haven't used in over a year. What's the point to folders, who do I manage them?

Folder can be most easily managed using the main app. They are simply one of the ways that 1Password offers for you to organize your data. You can add a new folder by using the File > New Folder menu.

demo data shown

care to suggest a proper upgrade path that can remove the old program and not screw up the new one (or lose all my settings going form one to the next - my keychain is in dropbox).

As far as upgrading goes, the instructions above should help with the installation of 1Password 5. To remove the old version of 1Password, please simply drag the 1Password 3 app from the /Applications folder to the Trash. Do not use any app cleaners or anything fancy. :)

I hope this helps, but if you have any further questions, you know where to find us!

• driver49
    driver49
    Community Member

Yeah, duh... just follow the instructions already given... what a concept!!!

Thank you for the link to the knowledgebase a the info about folders. Oh boy, something else to "organize"!

I'll install 1PW5 on my laptop over the weekend, and let you know Monday how it goes.

Thanks,

--PS

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @driver49,

I'm glad to hear I was able to help out here. :)

I'll keep my fingers crossed that the installation goes well over the weekend, but we're here for you if you hit any snags.

This discussion has been closed.