Unable to move records back from Trash

Options
silkroad
silkroad
Community Member

I created a Folder and copied about 30 Secure Notes which were imported from SplashID into this Folder. It seemed to copy in fine. Then I deleted them from their original location ie Secure Notes, to avoid duplication.

When I checked back in my Folder, it is empty! My original Notes are not there, nor in my Secure Notes and are only in the Trash. I can not copy and drop / drag them from Trash into Secure Notes Folder or my newly created Folder !

How can I get these into my Folder? Or even back into Secure Notes ?

Oddly another Folder I created the same way HAS the copied stuff in it (but then I had not deleted them from my original Secure Notes). The problem seems to me that if you delete any Secure Notes (after supposedly copying them into another new Folder), you can not get them back !

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

There should be a "restore" button at the bottom of the main pane for any item in trash. Click on that to restore it. I'm assuming you're using 1P4 or 1P5.

Stephen

• silkroad
    silkroad
    Community Member
    edited December 2014
    Options

Hello Stephen, Many thanks for your quick reply - I'm new to 1P5 and yes...did not spot it and thankfully everything is fine!

I now have my restored items both in Secure Notes and my newly created Folder. But the moment I delete an item from Secure Notes (as I have it now organised in my new Folder and wish to avoid duplication), it disappears from the new Folder too... I just want to move stuff from my Secure Folder [unfiled SplashID imports] to folders I have created...

BTW your Manual I think has a broken link or missing page in Categories/ "Next Page "... there is no next page found for Folders and tags, it says....

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

@silkroad‌ I'm glad everything is sorted! While I don't work for AgileBits (I'm just a volunteer here) if you can post a link to the manual page with the broken link it will help AgileBits fix it. You can post the link by copying it and then adding it to your post using the "links" symbol above the edit box for your post.

Stephen

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2014
    Options

Hi @silkroad‌

It's best to think of folders like you would tags. When you view a folder you're not viewing a second copy of an item but instead your viewing the original item as it appears in the Secure Notes category, so when you delete it from there it isn't available to the folder any more.

Can I ask, is part of the desire to reduce the 'clutter' of the Secure Notes category to easily see what you still have left to file? There might be a trick here that can work for you (depending on how you've been working). I'm guessing all of your imported Secure Notes were imported on the same day and if during your filing the Secure Notes are being modified then the following may help.

You'd want to create a New Smart Folder available in the File dropdown menu and set it up as below (changing the date for the one needed)

Basically if you've been editing them as you go along and the modified date on those entries has been changing then they will not be visible in that smart folder. That might be an easy way to help see just the items left to file.

I don't know if that will help but it might.

• silkroad
    silkroad
    Community Member
    Options

Dear Stephen, Thank you and I post that link here ! The missing pages are the references to Next Page for Folders and Tags.....

https://guides.agilebits.com/1password-mac/5/en/topic/categories?q=categories

• silkroad
    silkroad
    Community Member
    Options

Hello littlebobbytables!

This is most useful. I had about 200 notes from SplashID that were originally customised category records. These all got sent through conversion into Secure Notes, so there is an assortment of categories here. I created Folders for each former SplashID category and copied them over respectively from Secure Notes [-I see now what you mean that they are just views really, not physical moves! and so I have to leave them in Secure Notes which means I am kind of double seeing].

Since one is unable to create customised categories in 1password, I can only create "visual" Folders. I don't like to have a jumble of records in some "Login" category and prefer to compartmentalise visually but I guess I will just have to make do! I will explore your Smartfolders as I haven't quite figured out what this really is!

Thank you.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

@silkroad,

My reply here will be a bit of a tangent, and picks up a little where we left off when you did your conversion with the convert_to_1p4 conversion utility.

If you have a few customized categories in SplashID, and many records that you'd like converted into other than Secure Notes, we might be able to work together to add a couple of custom sections to the converter. I don't know how much time you've spent already moving your data in 1Password, but figured I'd bring up the possibility in case it helps save you from having to move, say, a hundred records. Send me an email or PM if interested in exploring this, and we'll take it from there.

This discussion has been closed.