Loading old vault backup from 1pw4 to 1pw5

Options
dmart123
dmart123
Community Member

Hi, i just upgraded (?) from ios 7.1.2 to ios 8.1.2 in oder to take advantage of the new features in 1password 5.
Before upgrading ios on the ipad I took the precaution of backing up my existing vault in the 1password 4 App.
My issue is I am unable to get the 1password 5 app to load the older versions vault (which contains all my data).
1pw5 requires me to create a new vault and also to create a backup before it will allow me to restore (from most recent) backup.
Following the help guide, I have used the Add button in iTunes to point to the old Backups folder (same folder name) that contains my old backups, however 1pw5 continues to restore the backup created in the new vault (even when I delete the file!)

It is hopefully quite simple to resolve but very frustrating for me. How do I load my old vault and all its data please?

David

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @dmart123,

I'm sorry you're having trouble restoring your data!

First, please make sure you're following the steps on this page. (Scroll down to the steps for Restoring a Manual Backup.)

If the Backups folder on your Mac has multiple backup files, please move all but one of them to another location on your Mac (the one you leave inside the Backups folder should be the one you want to restore). Then, add that folder to 1Password via iTunes as described in the steps (it will replace the current Backups folder in 1Password).

Does that help? If not, please let us know and we'll take it from there. Thanks!

• dmart123
    dmart123
    Community Member
    Options

The steps on the referred page state:
    Note: The entire Backups folder must be saved as a whole, and you must not rename the folder or alter the files inside it.

So you are saying it is ok to copy an old Auto backup file from version 4 into a new backup folder and add that to itunes so that 1password 5 loads the old auto backup file?
    That was what I was doing but I will try it again
    Thanks
    David

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @dmart123‌

If I've understood your post correctly then the answer is yes. A backup from 1Password 4 is in the exact same format as one used by 1Password 5 so there is no reason it shouldn't work if the instructions are being followed.

I understand your confusion at having to create a pointless fake vault first before you can restore the old backup. I don't know if it's the case or not but sometimes we need to work within the various confines of an iOS app - that may have an impact here with how easy we can make this part of the process.

If you still have troubles please do post back.

This discussion has been closed.