excluding files from program

Options
Ptroot@gmail.com
Ptroot@gmail.com
Community Member

I have a program that keeps stats for my son's basketball team. Today I started it up to get ready for the game and it froze up. After several minutes of panic, I tried logging into 1password, which I just installed. Then the program would work.

How to exclude 1password from taking over this program? I give the iPad to the coach at halftime and after the game. I can't have 1password locking up this program when he is using it.

If the answer is you can't then how do I uninstall 1password and remove its intrusion?

There is no alternative to these two synario.

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi there,

Thanks for taking the time to contact us.

Are you able to reliably reproduce this issue? If so what it the name of the 3rd party app that this occurs with?

Thanks.

• Ptroot@gmail.com
    Ptroot@gmail.com
    Community Member
    Options

So far it's working, I haven't been looked out in over an hour. Maybe it was just a first time issue.

The app is hoop stats. On iPad latest iOS. Sorry I should have said that before.

Gotta go game is about to start.

Thanks, Paul.

• Ben
    Options

Paul,

Best of luck with the game. I'm thinking this was likely a fluke, but if you are able to reproduce the issue please do let us know!

Thanks.

Ben

• Ptroot@gmail.com
    Ptroot@gmail.com
    Community Member
    Options

no issues during the game. I will check again tomorrow. I'm thinking fluke now too. And the boys won.

Thanks!

• Ben
    Options

Excellent! :)

• ag_kevin
    edited December 2014
    Options

It's not really possible for one app to take over or control another app (unless the user activates an extension belonging to the other app, such as a keyboard, or sharing extension, and then it is limited to keyboard or sharing functionality). But I have seen the following behavior before which could explain what was happening.

1. Your stats app may have had some memory issues on its own that it was dealing with. When an app is put in the background, it still has a hold of that memory in case the user brings it back to the foreground again.
    2. When the user brings another app to the foreground and needs more memory, the OS will tell the background app it is taking the memory back to give to the foreground app. This will happen when the device is low on available memory.
    3. Then when the user launches the background app again, it reloads, and likely works better because it reloaded.

So in this case, when the stats app was acting up, launching 1Password caused iOS to take memory from the stats app to give to 1Password. This caused the stats app to reload that portion when you used it the next time. Since it reloaded, it started working better. It's likely that if you launched another app instead, that would have had the same effect.

And, of course, as Ben said, if you see it happen again, let us know.

• Ptroot@gmail.com
    Ptroot@gmail.com
    Community Member
    Options

It worked first thing this morning. So I think it was a fluke. I thought of something else that could have contributed. Hoopstats updated over the weekend after the Friday night game. Then I installed 1password Monday.

When I started up hoopstats it just showed the game chart game but no data which made me think the update was bad. I threw out the app, and tried again. Same deal, so I powered off the iPad.
    Then it was the first app I start, same thing. That's when I thought of 1password since that was the only other change I had made to the iPad. After entering my password in 1password and going back to hoopstats, everything worked.

Sorry about panicking, but 30 minutes before a game is no time to be fiddling with the tool, I need it to work.

Now on to getting data in 1password, and getting it on my android, Mac, and maybe work PC.

Thanks.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I'm happy to hear it seems to be working well for you now! Hopefully you're all set, but if you need more help, we're here for you. :)

This discussion has been closed.