Location of Data File

abelj
abelj
Community Member

I want to back up my 1Password data file on Google Drive.

What is the location on my Mac of that data file?

Thanks

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member

You don't say what version of 1P you are using but on the assumption it's 1P4 or 1P5 have a look at this knowledge base article.

Stephen

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @abelj‌

Can I recommend using one of the backups that 1Password makes, that way you know the file you're copying isn't currently being written to - never a good situation.

• abelj
    abelj
    Community Member

I understand. But these backup are all stored on the local hard drive. What if it crashes or is damaged?
    I am looking for a way for an external backup, preferably in the cloud, such as Google Drive.
    Can I safely move the 1Password created backup files to the Google Drive and therefore assure their availability in case the hard drive crashes?

Thanks for your help

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @abelj‌

Sorry, when I suggested the backup files what I meant was copying one of those to your safe location e.g. Google Drive. The advantage is you know the file isn't being written to and 1Password natively understands the zip file, the contents and what to do with it. The backup is a copy of your vault file but created by 1Password which can take the right steps to ensure it is done correctly and safely.

The other option is to use Folder Sync and use Google Drive as the target location. I assume Google Drive works a little like Dropbox where there is a local location that is always available and a service syncs that with the server? Folder Sync would create an .agilekeychain and keep it updated whereas you'd need a way to keep the backups up to date.

It might be something you don't want to invest in but I swear by Time Machine in OS X (although it can have its blips). I don't use the Apple Time Capsule but a NAS so it's always backing up without worrying about having a hard drive connected. To be honest I'd feel naked without it and that means a second location where all my backup files are without any involvement by me. Not just the backup files of course but all of your files so that if your hard drive died you could throw in a new hard drive and return to the last backup point. It also does versioning which I've never needed by love the idea of having.

• abelj
    abelj
    Community Member

Very Helpful!.

I think that the suggestion to rely on Time Machine is the most sensible way to deal with the problem.

Happy New Year.

• @abelj‌

Thanks for the feedback. :)

Happy new year.

This discussion has been closed.