[Feature Request] Feature Parity for 1Password between Mac & Windows for 2015

TekGen
TekGen
Community Member

Versions currently running:
Windows: 4.1.0.BETA-533
Mac: 5.0.2 (502007)

I heavily rely on 1Password on both Mac and Windows platforms. I have found that I have to grab a Mac to certain things or grab a PC to do other things just within 1Password.

Exists in Windows but missing from Mac:

• Ability to launch full app from browser extensions or mini-app (in notification bar)
  • Ability to fully edit Logins; ie Add/Change/Remove fields
    • For example: save a login from a website and 1P sometimes captures all kinds of other fields not necessary later causing login issues. In Windows I can delete those fields out... or edit them (when the site changes)... or add additional ones (like additional security questions). On a Mac I have found that sometimes a few of those are removable (and if removeable, value can be edited but not the field name) but usually not viewable/editable/removable... but actionable (as in the browser extensions still parse that data and tries to fill it in on the website).

Exists in Mac but missing from Windows (aside from what I have interpreted as obvious v4 to v5 deltas):

• Ability to create/edit Generated Password (saved item vs function)
    • On Mac I have saved the password to my GPG, SSH, SSL or other unique device/function/file keys
    • On Windows I can see those saved items, view & copy the password, but not edit them or create them.
  • Ability to anchor an item to the screen
    • My company uses LDAP for nearly all of its authentication however most of their apps/integrations are web based.
    • Some sites (pardon my trampling all over terms as I don't remember what they are called anymore) use post forms for authentication (which 1P works great in)
    • Other sites pop-up the authentication challenge (as in a application drawn dialog box vs the previously mentioned web form)
    • On the Mac I can anchor the item and access it quickly... on Windows I cannot
    • This really comes into play in browsers that prevent further interaction with the browser (ie click on extension buttons) until the dialog box is closed (via Ok, Cancel, etc)
    • In Windows I end up having to launch the full app, authenticate, and then dig (ie search) up the login item. A bit of the pain when you are doing this 3-5 times an hour (well except maybe launching the full app part) because you password is not memorizable as it has been randomized and extended to maximum length to keep it as secure as possible.

Geeky Feature Request for a future release:

• OTP Integration - Specifically to unlock 1P to access a vault.
    • Option in the full app or the browser extension to use a OTP instead (or in addition to) of a master password
    • Mobile devices could use that OTP (and/or master password) to authenticate the vault to the device and allow TouchID or other biometric type for non-Apple devices to unlock the vault
  • OTP Integration - Generate OTP from received keys/tokens/certificates (ie Google Authenticator or Duo... RSA is probably a pipe dream but why not)
    • Enabling 1P (whether from full app, browser extension, or mobile device) to pass my OTP to appropriate apps or websites
    • Enabling the user to use 1P for their OTP instead of having a bunch of other apps for them or having the OTP available on their desktop vs having to grab their mobile device or fob to login every time

Thanks for making 1Password great!
~ John

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi John ( @TekGen‌ ),

Thanks so much for taking the time to write up such a detailed post! We always love to hear from users who find 1Password so useful that they want to have it on all platforms, and having feature parity in 1Password is certainly an important step to make moving between 1Password on multiple platforms simple for our users.

Unfortunately, because 1Password is developed separately across each platform, feature parity is not always possible. It's important to remember that Mac in particular (and iOS to a lesser extent) have had several years of development ahead of Windows (and Android), so sometimes it may look like 1Password for Windows is playing catch-up. Of course, we can't stop development on 1Password on Mac and iOS while we work on getting all of the goodies into 1Password for Windows, so a little bit of disparity is to be expected, but I'll be sure to pass along your thoughts to our developers. Personally, I'd love to see complete parity of features across all the platforms (it's a lovely dream!)

Now, to your requests! I'll admit, I'm a Mac girl, so I don't get nearly enough time to play around with the Windows version of 1Password, but I'll do my best to address your points here:

Ability to launch full app from browser extensions or mini-app (in notification bar)

It just so happens that it is possible to open the main 1Password for Mac app using the mini/browser extensions. Simply click on the gear icon next to the search bar to access the menu, and select 'Open 1Password'. :)

Ability to fully edit Logins; ie Add/Change/Remove fields. For example: save a login from a website and 1P sometimes captures all kinds of other fields not necessary later causing login issues.

Generally, we recommend using the Save a New Login Manually steps to create Logins in 1Password for Mac. This allows 1Password to capture all of the details that it needs to properly fill in the form. You're right, on some sites it might save a few unnecessary fields, but these are generally hidden away in the web form details and shouldn't clutter up your entry. When 1Password is working properly, you shouldn't need to edit any fields here.

... or add additional ones (like additional security questions)

I've found that custom fields are a great place to store security questions. It allows me to conceal the answers (by changing the field type to 'password') and I can easily click to copy the answers in 1Password mini when necessary.

Ability to create/edit Generated Password (saved item vs function)

You should be able to add an item to the Generated Passwords category in 1Password 4 for Windows by clicking on the 'New Item' button in the top menu bar and selecting the 'Password' item. Please let me know if this is not working for you, as we'll need to investigate that.

Ability to anchor an item to the screen

Have you heard about Windows' fancy auto-type feature? This handy feature can make it much less likely that you would need to anchor an item to the screen. You can read all about it in our User Guide article: Using auto-type. If you still think there's a case to be made for anchoring items to the screen, please let me know and I'll let our developers know. :)

OTP Integration - Specifically to unlock 1P to access a vault. ... Mobile devices could use that OTP (and/or master password) to authenticate the vault to the device and allow TouchID or other biometric type for non-Apple devices to unlock the vault

Do you currently use 1Password for iOS? It just so happens that 1Password 5 for iOS has TouchID support already. :) We've heard requests from users to use TouchID on the mobile device to unlock 1Password on the desktop, is that perhaps what you're referring to?

OTP Integration - Generate OTP from received keys/tokens/certificates (ie Google Authenticator or Duo... RSA is probably a pipe dream but why not)

You're certainly not the first person to suggest this feature, and I've added a vote for you to the issue in our internal tracker.

ref: OPM-115

I hope this covers everything, but if you have further questions or suggestions, we're here to help!

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

@TekGen‌ @Megan‌

You should be able to add an item to the Generated Passwords category in 1Password 4 for Windows by clicking on the 'New Item' button in the top menu bar and selecting the 'Password' item. Please let me know if this is not working for you, as we'll need to investigate that.

You must have turned on the View > Generated Passwords option for the "New > Password" option to be available.

@Megan

Unfortunately, because 1Password is developed separately across each platform, feature parity is not always possible.

From what I can see, Windows is getting close to feature parity. Is there a plan to move away from this segregated development model and move to a integrated model? It would, in my opinion, result in a much more consistent product. At the moment it is very hit and miss for those of us that use multiple platforms. I'm not talking about completely integrating the development teams as that is likely to be impractical but the release cycles, feature sets and design decisions need to be synchronised.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @RichardPayne,

Thanks so much for clarifying that bit about Generated Passwords in Windows. One of these days I'll need to fire up my VM and spend a good couple of hours playing around in 1Password for Windows to get a better idea of all the ins and outs.

From what I can see, Windows is getting close to feature parity.

Our developers have done some great work with Windows, and you're right, we're getting closer!

Is there a plan to move away from this segregated development model and move to a integrated model? It would, in my opinion, result in a much more consistent product. At the moment it is very hit and miss for those of us that use multiple platforms. I'm not talking about completely integrating the development teams as that is likely to be impractical but the release cycles, feature sets and design decisions need to be synchronised.

Believe me, we love the idea of a consistent product. From a purely selfish point of view, support would be a fair bit simpler if everything looked and worked exactly the same, regardless of platform. ;) We know that this is also an important issue for our users, and we are continuing to work towards this goal. As usual, I can't speak much to our future plans, but I'm happy to pass your thoughts along to our developers.

This discussion has been closed.