master password limitations?

Thyresias
Thyresias
Community Member
Hi,
I have 1Password installed on Mac, Windows & iPhone, all with DropBox as a background. My master password works fine on Mac & Win, but fails miserably on the iPhone. I tried typing it several times, very carefully to avoid any typo, but to no avail. Maybe there are iPhone-specific limitations? (my master password is 21 characters long). If not, any idea on how to solve this?
Thanks
-- Thierry

Comments

• teedoff087
    teedoff087
    Community Member
    Thyresias wrote:

Hi,
    I have 1Password installed on Mac, Windows & iPhone, all with DropBox as a background. My master password works fine on Mac & Win, but fails miserably on the iPhone. I tried typing it several times, very carefully to avoid any typo, but to no avail. Maybe there are iPhone-specific limitations? (my master password is 21 characters long). If not, any idea on how to solve this?
    Thanks
    -- Thierry

It is possible to have a different master password for your iPhone vs. your Mac. Are you sure you used the exact same master password (that you use for your Mac) when you first set up 1Password on your iPhone?
  • Thyresias
    Thyresias
    Community Member
    teedoff087 wrote:

It is possible to have a different master password for your iPhone vs. your Mac. Are you sure you used the exact same master password (that you use for your Mac) when you first set up 1Password on your iPhone?

Nope, not sure. If I mistakenly used a different one, how can I recover?
    Thanks
    -- Thierry
  • MartyS
    MartyS
    Community Member
    Thyresias wrote:

Nope, not sure. If I mistakenly used a different one, how can I recover?
    Thanks
    -- Thierry

Welcome to the forums, Thierry!

For access within the app, the Master Password does not have to be the same between 1Password for Mac/Windows and your 1Password touch [Pro] mobile app. Many users like to have a less-complicated one for 1Password mobile apps because of the interaction using the much smaller virtual keyboard. Because they do not have to be the same, they are never synced from one device/platform to another.

But for the Dropbox sync itself, you must provide the matching master password that is in use for the 1Password data file stored in your Dropbox account. If you've provided the wrong one in the app's Dropbox setup, run the 1Password [Pro] mobile app, then tap More > Settings > Sync > Dropbox and tap the Account field area below the Dropbox Sync control switch. At the bottom of the resulting window tap the Reset button and then tap Start Over. You'll need to re-enter your Dropbox account credentials (or select a matching Dropbox Logins item if you have one) and essentially setup the connection from the app to Dropbox again.
  • Thyresias
    Thyresias
    Community Member
    Thanks Marty, but my Dropbox sync is OK. The problem is that when I entered the master pwd on iPhone, I thought it had to be the same as the Mac/Win one, so, when the master pwd was requested by 1P on the iPhone:
    - I entered the (long and complicated) Mac password on the iPhone
    - I had no error message, so I thought I had entered it correctly
    - But I most probably made a typo, so I don't know actually what I entered
    So I basically need to reset completely the 1p install on the iPhone.
    How can I do that?
    Thanks for your help
    -- Thierry
  • thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    Thyresias wrote:

So I basically need to reset completely the 1p install on the iPhone.
    How can I do that?
    Thanks for your help
    -- Thierry

Remove the App (press and hold till it wiggles and then press the x) then press the home button. Connect to iTunes reinstall the app (you may have to select it again inside iTunes if you selective sync apps) Then start over with the 1P setup.

Word of Warning **This will remove all data from the install you previously had and there is no way to get it back ** Even if later you happen to remember the Password etc.
  • To add to what Tommy said, when you download the fresh new copy of 1Password for your iPhone, first make sure it is the same app that you've already purchased (check to see if yours has a silver border or not before deleting it). Then, when you set up the app, choose to set up a new database (not sync with an existing one). Once you've set up your new unlock code and master password, you can set up Dropbox sync again as described here.

Please let us know how it goes!
  • Thyresias
    Thyresias
    Community Member
    Forgot to post: It worked. ^_^
    Thanks guys.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Better late than never. :lol:

Thanks for the update. I am glad that everything is working well!

If we can be of further assistance, please let us know.

We are always here to help!
This discussion has been closed.