Multiple devices, upgrades and family

ssolish
ssolish
Community Member

OK here goes:
we are a MAC and iOS family

Wife: one iPAD(1PW 5.1.2), one iPhone(1PW 5.1.2) and MAC laptop running OS X 10.9.5
Me: two iPads (1 PW 5.1.2 pro) one iPhone (1 PW 4.5.3) and MAC OS X 10.10.1

Synching is not working for some of the devices so we have old passwords mixing us up.

Now the questions:
1) what do I need to upgrade now?
2) we would like to synch with each other I assume via dropbox
3) how do we do the synch for all devices?
4) 7 devices total...is that a problem?
5) how to reconcile all the devices at once?

Thanks in advance.
S

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @ssolish,

I'm sorry to hear that you've been having trouble keeping 1Password synced up lately. I'll do my best to answer your questions here:

1) what do I need to upgrade now?

• Wife's iPad and iPhone: up-to-date with the latest version of 1Password for iOS.
    • Wife's laptop: the latest version of 1Password for OS X 10.9.5 is 1Password 4 for Mac (4.4.3).
    • Your iPads: up-to-date with the latest version of 1Password for iOS.
    • Your iPhone: If you are unable to run iOS 8 on this device, then you have the latest version of 1Password available for iOS 7.
    • Your Mac: the latest version of 1Password for OS X 10.10.1 is 1Password 5 for Mac (5.0.2).

1Password 4 and 1Password 5 are compatible, so you shouldn't have to make any upgrades to have sync working.

2) we would like to synch with each other I assume via dropbox

Dropbox is our most flexible option for sync, particularly across platforms with multiple users.

3) how do we do the synch for all devices?

I'll need some more detail here about how you want to set things up. It sounds to me like you want to share all of you data with each other (and that's a fine option!) but I just need to confirm that before I start giving instructions. Because 1Password 4 and 5 have Multiple Vaults, you do have the option of maintaining your own databases and sharing only your family Logins in a separate vault. Once I know how you wish to share your data, we can get things set up.

4) 7 devices total...is that a problem?

Shouldn't be a problem at all. :)

5) how to reconcile all the devices at once?

In order to get all your data onto all of your devices, I'll need to know if one of the devices currently has a good copy of all of the data. If so, we can simply reset sync and use that device as the starting point.

• ssolish
    ssolish
    Community Member

Ok thanks for the reply (took alittle while to find it again)...
    some more questions
    1)my mac has 1 password 3.8 but the upgrade button says I have the latest version! (?) I am running OSX10.10.1.....how would I migrate the data if I buy the new version 5.02
    2) version 5 for OSX has "family sharing" does that mean we buy one license and share the app? And do we buy this from the Apple App store only?
    3)item 3 from above....multiple vaults would work as long as we can share some of the logins
    4)is there still a way to view and reconcile conflicts when we do merge the data from all these devices?

Thanks
    Sam

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi Sam ( @ssolish ),

If you're not being notified when we respond to forum posts, you can change your forum notifications here.

1)my mac has 1 password 3.8 but the upgrade button says I have the latest version! (?) I am running OSX10.10.1.....how would I migrate the data if I buy the new version 5.02

1Password 4 was a paid upgrade from 1Password 3, so it won't show up as an automatic upgrade. You can purchase an upgrade to 1Password 5 at a nice discount by entering your existing license information on our upgrade page. When you download and open 1Password 5, it should detect your existing datafile and prompt you to unlock with your Master Password. If you hit any snags in the process, we're here to help!

2) version 5 for OSX has "family sharing" does that mean we buy one license and share the app? And do we buy this from the Apple App store only?

Whether you buy the license from the the Mac App Store or our website, the licensing terms are essentially the same. With Family Sharing from the Mac App Store, you can link your family's AppleIDs, and each family member can download the apps purchased. If you're purchasing 1Password from our webstore, a single license entitles you to install 1Password on as many Macs as you and your household use.

3)item 3 from above....multiple vaults would work as long as we can share some of the logins

The concept of multiple vaults is to allow you to selectively share your data: keep your personal data in your primary vault, and share secondary vaults to ensure that everyone in the family can access the Netflix Login. :) Our user guide has plenty of detail on how multiple vaults work, but I'd be happy to answer any questions that you might have.

4)is there still a way to view and reconcile conflicts when we do merge the data from all these devices?

1Password can generally do a pretty good job of merging your entries to minimize conflicts. However, if you do notice that some items have 'Conflict Fields', you can set up a smart folder on 1Password for Mac with the query: 'Conflict fields' 'are' 'present'. This will group all entries with conflicts together so that you can easily manage them.

This discussion has been closed.