Editing Logins is a nightmare! (1Password 4.1 Windows)

I LOVE 1Password on my Mac and my iPhone, but the Windows app got all stupid in version 4. First of all, why can't I edit logins from the browser addon? I swear I used to be able to do this with 1Password 3... Anyway, once I open the login in the 1Password app, it's confusing as all get out. When I go to edit a login, there is no Username Field and a Password Field. There's multiple crazy fields in a tiny little box at the bottom of the Window. I have no idea which items I need to edit. I guess maybe I use the Designation fields as a clue? Why can't you separate out the Username and Password fields instead of hiding them in a mess of other variables?

Comments

• Transmatrix
    Transmatrix
    Community Member

Oh, also, 1Password on Windows is showing my username when I click on the icon in the browser instead of the Title.

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2014

When I go to edit a login, there is no Username Field and a Password Field

Those fields are listed at the bottom of the window, where the web form fields are.

Assuming you're trying to change/update an existing password, here are a few steps you might appreciate: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/160932#Comment_160932

1Password on Windows is showing my username when I click on the icon in the browser instead of the Title.

File > Preferences (Ctrl+P) > Logins > "Show username for matching Logins"

• Transmatrix
    Transmatrix
    Community Member

Thanks for answering the second question. I don't get why the default options are different on Windows than they are on OS X.

The first one is still an issue, though. Seriously, it was BETTER in 1Password 3. Why did you make it worse? Why can't I edit logins from the browser? Why isn't there an edit button next to the Username and Password fields when I'm viewing them on the preview window in 1Password. I can Copy them, I can Open them in a browser, but I can't Edit them.

It just seems like the Windows version is in some "advanced" mode at all times. I just want a simple: Here's your Username and Here's your Password, Edit them as you see fit. Some of my logins have 10+ fields at the bottom of the Edit page. The window is tiny and hard to scroll through, and it's unclear on which values are my password and which are my username. Then there's the problem I have sometimes where it copies one and not the other. So manually entering in a Username or Password when one doesn't already exist is even more baffling.

I understand that there are going to be differences between the Windows and OS X versions, but this is just ridiculous.

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni

@Transmatrix We really want you to change your passwords in the web browser. This approach has a lot of advantages, because it re-records all the (web form) fields -- not just username and password.

https://guides.agilebits.com/1password-windows/4/en/topic/changing-saved-passwords

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

@svondutch‌ that makes no sense. Surely the whole point is that the structure of the site rarely changes so it doesn't need to re-record all the web form fields each time. Worse, it is often the case that the change password url and field names are different to those of the normal signin page, so re-recording fields is often damaging. Isn't that why the "update password only" option is now the default?

I can see no reason why the values of the designated username and password fields couldn't be presented to the user in dedicated fields at the top of the form, just as the OSX version does. Iirc, the OSX version actually hides the webform details by default since they're rarely needed.

Editing in the extension is a long standing feature request. I get the distinct impression that it's not going to handle until you ditch the standard context menu for something more custom. Are you still fixated on using a standard windows context menu?

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2014

that makes no sense.

@RichardPayne You're right -- the "update password only" option does not re-record the other (web form) fields. However, this method is still prefereable over doing this manually in the app.

I can see no reason why the values of the designated username and password fields couldn't be presented to the user in dedicated fields at the top of the form

We have this in "view" mode, but not in "edit" mode. This is by design. Please note you can edit your username and password in "edit" mode.

I get the distinct impression that it's not going to handle until you ditch the standard context menu for something more custom. Are you still fixated on using a standard windows context menu?

A custom popup menu component is on my list of things to do. Unfortunately, that'd be a huge job as we'd have to match the Mac behaviour, make it accessible, support Bi-Di mode, and there'd be a fair bit of maintenance every time Microsoft updates their operating system or adds accessibility features.

• Transmatrix
    Transmatrix
    Community Member

I still keep coming back to the point that it WORKED BETTER IN VERSION 3... Seriously, I am not a fan of this interface you introduced in 1Password 4 and you haven't yet explained why it changed and why it's better. You're making me want to consider looking at LastPass...

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

As I recall, @Transmatrix, the changes between the 3.x and 4.x extensions had to do with security, stability, and changes in the browsers themselves.

I'll update this thread to add a link, as soon as I'm able to track down the blog or forum post in which founder Dave explained the details.

• Transmatrix
    Transmatrix
    Community Member

I'm sorry, but not bringing focus to just the username and password is not a security feature. Honestly it just sounds like lazy coding. This isn't free software, I paid money to upgrade to 1Password4. I even purchased a family pack, so I'm not happy that I'm being jerked around and can't get a confirmation that at least they are going to fix this.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

The extensions and the edit window are completely separate issues, @Transmatrix‌. Certainly security is not involved in the latter.

We understand that you liked the older extensions better. I believe they can still be used with 1Password 4, but be aware that we're not developing or maintaining the 3.x extension code, and I have no information about how long they might continue to work with 1Password 4.

• ChrisDE123
    ChrisDE123
    Community Member
    edited January 2015

Editing logins in the 1Password App is a pain and looks like a prototype

Could you please change the Windows edit behaviour to be the same as in the Mac version. It's very counterintuitive and the UI is a mess. I always have a hard time explaining my parents why the can't edit the password and username directly and how they actually find the password field. You made such a nice user interface why break with it when editing a login?

The Mac version handles this so much better: You just click edit and can change the values directly in the view without a new window.

Is this on your agenda?

PS: I know I should edit it in the browser, but I had problems with this several times. 1Password not recognizing the PW changed or not actually updating the PW. The process does not work well and it lead to lost passwords for me (PW changed on site but 1P did not save/ask). Also the windows version seems to miss the generated password history.

PPS: I just saw Kovah made a very nice suggestions how editing in windows could look like: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/124164/#Comment_124164

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2015

The process does not work well and it lead to lost passwords for me (PW changed on site but 1P did not save/ask)

If you have 1Password generate your passwords, then there is always a backup copy in this category: View > Generated Passwords

Also the windows version seems to miss the generated password history.

I'm not sure I understand. Do you happen to have reproducible steps? Thanks!

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

@ChrisDE123‌, I assure you the editing interface is not a prototype, it's just different from what you're used to in 1Password for Mac. We're aware of the value of a more consistent interface across the two desktop platforms, and we continue working to make them more similar, though there will always be differences. We apologize for any inconvenience.

• reck
    reck
    Community Member

I think one of the usability problems is that viewing logins in the main 1Password window can sometimes be confusing and not clear. Most of the time I have to go into edit mode to make sense of them. In my case this is down to 1Password not showing the custom sections, you have to double-click the login to go into edit mode to see them. This means the main 1Password window just has a large collection of fields with no context. This is the case with some of my logins anyway.

It would become a lot more legible if you could support custom sections in the main window and not just when you edit them,

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

I believe that's on the list of requested features already, @reck—if not explicitly, then part of the "more like the 1Password for Mac user interface" general request. Thanks for letting us know it'd be useful to you, too!

• Transmatrix
    Transmatrix
    Community Member

ChrisDE123 is echoing exactly my issues. I'm trying to get my parents to use a password management solution and while I lean towards 1Password because of my experience with it, I'm actually considering Last Pass because they are on Windows and this Windows app does feel like a beta/prototype.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

It's far from a "beta/prototype," @Transmatrix‌, but the decision, of course, is yours.

Thank you for using 1Password!

• fmfranzeck
    fmfranzeck
    Community Member

I absolutely aggree: it's just impossible for not computer sawy users to change their passwords! When you change your password of an account in a browser, the change doesn't allways get picked up by 1password, sometimes it doesnt save the username. We need to be able to change it over a mask in the 1password app. Just like on iOS!

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2015

Thanks for letting us know your preference, @fmfranzeck.

For now, please see the Changing a saved password article in the "quick start" section of the 1Password 4 for Windows user's guide.

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2015

When you change your password of an account in a browser, the change doesn't allways get picked up by 1password

@fmfranzeck 1Password should pick up your password change. If it doesn't, then we might have a bug and I would love to hear what web site you're seeing this problem with.

We need to be able to change it over a mask in the 1password app. Just like on iOS!

@fmfranzeck Here's an alternative workflow you might appreciate:

1. Locate the change password page.
    2. The change password page asks for your current password. 1Password already knows your current password. Click on the 1Password button, right-click on your existing Login item, and click on "Open 1Password". Now copy & paste your current password from 1Password into the change password page.
    3. Switch back to 1Password, and click on "Edit" (the pencil button).
    4. Double-click on your current password
    5. Click on "Generate"
    6. Click on "OK" (3x). This will update the password.
    7. The change password page asks for your new password. Copy and paste your newly generated password from 1Password into the change password page.
    8. Submit the change password page and you're done!
  • DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

...much as described in the Changing a saved password article in the "quick start" section of the 1Password 4 for Windows user's guide.

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2015

@DBrown I'm afraid our steps aren't the same. My steps are an alternative to auto-save. Your steps lead up to auto-save. Thanks! /cc @fmfranzeck

• tblanken
    tblanken
    Community Member

@DBrown, I'm just getting started with evaluating 1Password on a Win7 pc, and using the Firefox plugin. I just followed the steps exactly in the "Changing a saved password" article to modify my original saved Amazon password using a generated password, which it did successfully. But I do not see it showing up in the Generated Passwords group. Did I miss something? Shouldn't this Login now show up in that group automatically?

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2015

Logins is a separate category, so Login items won't be listed in the Generated Passwords category, which lists Password items you create in the main 1Password program by clicking on the New Item tool and choosing Password or in the 1Password extension by choosing the Password Generator command from the extension menu.

• tblanken
    tblanken
    Community Member

Ahh - misunderstood what the category was for. Works as you said - thanks!

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2015

@DBrown I'm afraid our steps aren't the same. My steps are an alternative to auto-save. Your steps lead up to auto-save.

Good point, @svondutch—I'll add that method as an alternative, in the user's guide article. Thanks!

This discussion has been closed.