Bought 1Password for my Mac. Do I need to buy it again for each device?

Options
TimWayne
TimWayne
Community Member

Hi there. I have 1Password on my Mac. I like it better than Keepass and I want it on my iPod and my iPad.

How do I get it on my two devices without buying it again? The AppStore is not very friendly.

Assuming I do not have to purchase it two more times, how can I download it in the AppStore without paying?

If I do have to pay it on each device, how can I uninstall 1Password and get a refund?

Thanks!

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

You'll need 1P4 for iOS if you want to sync between 1P4 on the Mac and 1P4 on your iPod and iPad. You will have to buy it but, provided your iPod and iPad use the same Apple ID, you need to buy it only once and can then put it on both devices. (1P4 for Mac and 1P4 for iOS are different products.)

See also post #3 in this thread (on the 1P4 for Mac forum) for a possible work around if you all you want to do on the iPod and iPad is to view your passwords, etc. (as opposed to editing them).

Stephen

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @TimWayne,

1Password licenses are platform-specific, so a Mac license will allow you to install 1Password on as many Mac computers as you personally use, but you will need a separate license for the iOS version of the software. We have our software available individually on each platform to make it easier to meet each customer's unique needs without charging them for software that they don't need. Because we offer 1Password on such a variety of platforms, we have found this method allows the most flexibility for our users.

As @Stephen_C says, the iOS app is a universal app, so it will work great on all your iOS6+ compatible devices - you'll only need to purchase it once. If you don't want to purchase a separate app, 1Password Anywhere is a read-only alternative that will give you access to your 1Password database in any modern web-browser.

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

1Password Anywhere is a read-only alternative that will give you access to your 1Password database in any modern web-browser.

It's worth adding that to use this approach, you must use Dropbox syncing. It isn't available with iCloud. Alas!

• eberzz
    eberzz
    Community Member
    Options

Please help - this remains totally unclear to me as to whether I have to purchase 2 separate versions if I want to use on both my Mac laptop and my iPhone. Stephen C - you're answer is very confusing. You say that you only have to buy once, but then say they are 2 different products. Please clarify.

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

@eberzz - If you want to use Password on a Mac and on an iPhone, you do need to make two separate purchases - one of 1Password 4 for Mac, either from the Mac App Store or directly from the AgileBits web store, AND another for your iPhone, which is only sold through the App Store.

I can't think of how to be any clearer than that. But it is also worth noting, for others, if not for you, that you Mac license allows you to install it on as many Macs as you control, so long as you are the only user. And the iOS version is universal, so one copy will work on your iPhone, as well as any other iOS devices you might have, such as an iPad. In the case of the iOS version, you may install your copy on as many iOS devices as you like, as long as all share the same AppleID for purchases from iTunes.

• rujmah
    rujmah
    Community Member
    Options

Bit peeved. The apps for iOS and Android have a charge. The way they are represented on the Store page looks like there is no charge (especially as you can download them for free).

It was based on this that I made my purchase of the - not cheap - version of the Mac app.

I have Android & iOS devices. Does this mean I need to purchase for every device?

What the apps on iOS/Android seem to suggest is that basic usage is free, but you need to pay for premium features. Is that correct?

It really is a great product and all: I just could have done with knowing the total cost of use before I headed down this path.

• Ben
    Options

Hi @rujmah‌

The way they are represented on the Store page looks like there is no charge (especially as you can download them for free).

I respectfully disagree. We make this as obvious as Apple's iTunes Store allows:

Same deal on the Google Play Store:

I have Android & iOS devices. Does this mean I need to purchase for every device?

No. Both Google's Play Store and Apple's App Store allow for installation on multiple supported devices as long as those devices are associated with the account for their store that you used to purchase the app.

What the apps on iOS/Android seem to suggest is that basic usage is free, but you need to pay for premium features. Is that correct?

Yes, that is correct.

It really is a great product and all: I just could have done with knowing the total cost of use before I headed down this path.

Thanks for the kind words. Unfortunately I'm not sure how we can make this more clear.

This discussion has been closed.