Master Password not working Can't create new Vault

Options
Bishop_3
Bishop_3
Community Member

I've just purchased 1Password and tried setting my Master Password. Used a long sentence - couldn't see any guidance re number of characters anywhere - and retyped it. 1Password accepted it and all seemed good but when I tried to use it to log in it was too long. Have emailed support - a few times - but no reply. Then tried to 'start over' following the instructions. I've found and dragged the folder onto my desktop and rebooted my mac but when I open 1Password I'm getting the enter master password screen and it's not as 'if I was running the app for the first time'. Spent a long time deciding on which app to buy - frustrated that I can't get it to work and I've spent £40 on an app that I can't get to work and haven't had a reply. Not sure whether to believe all the glowing reviews at the moment. Could someone help please.

Comments

• Bishop_3
    Bishop_3
    Community Member
    Options

ps purchased from Mac App Store and have followed those instructions

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Bishop_3‌

If you've just purchased 1Password (MAS) and you didn't make use of our trial (which would have meant you'd been using the Agile Web Store (AWS) version at some point) then the only location the files will be is in the ~/Library/Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper folder. I know it may not seem like it at the moment but the Starting Over guide does work - I've lost track of how often I've used it, sometimes in just a single day.

Every step is important. If you leave 1Password mini running it nullifies removing the folder, if you don't reboot afterwards, caching in OS X can mess things up. Even though you can't enter a Master Password you can still launch it enough to quit both it and 1Password mini in that first step.

If you'd been using 1Password for a while and had been syncing or had been a 1Password 3 user there are other reasons why it might request a Master Password but they don't seem applicable here.

As for your Master Password I don't believe we have an upper bound on the number of characters so I am curious as to what led you to believe it was too long. The Secure Input event (where you type your Master Password) is a field set by Apple which we use for security reasons. It can seem like it isn't accepting any more characters but it is. My Master Password is 31 characters and I haven't had any issues.

If you're still having no joy do please let us know.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2015
    Options

I see somebody has answered your emails and that your issue is resolved. I'm going to close this thread now :smile:

If you have any questions in the future please do ask :smile:

This discussion has been closed.