How to Sync Items From Individual Primary Vaults with Shared Secondary Vault

Options
cmonkey
cmonkey
Community Member

Hello All,

I have searched and can't find the answer for this issue and am wondering if someone out there knows the answer.

A co-worker and I both have 1Password (OS X, iOS) and sync via dropbox.

We created a shared secondary vault and it syncs great. We "copy" the necessary items from our primary vaults into the shared secondary vault and it syncs those logins as expected. The only shortcoming is that if one of us updates one of those items in our primary vaults then the same item is not updated in the secondary vault.

Is this the expected behavior or should both instances of a login or secure note (in my primary and in the secondary) vault be updated automatically?

It would be great if modifying the item once would update it in both vaults, so that we don't have multiple versions of the same login, some with an outdated password, floating around.

Comments

• thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

@cmonkey

Both vaults are entirely separate. So you would need to copy the information back to the shared vault or vise versa

Can I ask why is it you copy things to the personal vault if you already share the secondary vault? To be honest it sounds like your usage strategy might need revising IMO. You can switch between vaults on OS X and iOS.

I mean no offense, I am just trying to understand your particular usage. It seems like you would work from the shared vault and then you would not have a need to copy the items back.

Maybe by helping this lowly moderator understand, you could also shed light on the sharing situation so the staff have a better idea on how 1Password vaults are getting used.

• cmonkey
    cmonkey
    Community Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

@thightower
    No worries, here's an example use case for wanting to use more than one vault and to have items between them sync:

I have a primary vault. My Mom has a primary vault. We use them like anyone would, storing logins, secure notes, etc. We then created a secondary vault that we share. We each would like to share some, but not all items from our primary vaults. For example, I don't mind it if she logs in to my Netflix account if she wants to watch a movie once in awhile. In the other direction, she sometimes wants me to access her Facebook to adjust her privacy settings (like when a new game she's playing starts spamming all her friends with invites, or she wants to de-tag herself from a photo a friend posted).

Rather than text/email/call each other with the logins to these items we would like share them via a secure, shared 1password vault. Problem is, once I update the password to Netflix or she updates her FB login, then we have to remember to manually update the same entry in the secondary vault. Yes, we could keep these things permanently in the secondary vault and just have the one instance there, but then it becomes a headache of what to put in there vs. have in my primary vault and then remembering which one of the two vaults it's in when I need it.

Maybe looking at this another way, is there any reason one would want to copy a login from a primary to a secondary vault, but NOT have that item in the secondary vault automatically be updated if the corresponding item in the primary vault is edited? Seems like the only result of that is that people either have to remember which items to manually update in their secondary vaults or they just have some outdated items floating around in their secondary vaults with previously used passwords and such.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @cmonkey

My own use for secondary vaults is as a logical divide so I've always been used to the idea that an item only exists in one location. That's one typical use of secondary vaults, the other is for sharing like you're doing at the moment.

As you're aware, they isn't a way to link an identical item that exists in two vaults and I don't know how practical it would be to implement in anything other than the Mac version (not sure if there are subtle gotchas there either). When secondary vaults were being designed I don't think anybody envisaged this use case and you're not alone, I've seen one or two posts like this. The intended behaviour though was an item to exist once over all of your vaults to save the complications of having to remember to update.

I don't know if it makes any difference but there is a keyboard shortcut for switching vaults which works just as well in 1Password mini as it does the main application. ⌘1 switches you to the Primary vault, ⌘2 to your first Secondary and so on all the way up to ⌘9. I mention it for the following reason.

Say you're trying to log into a site and you're using our Fill Login on current web page function which you may know better as ⌘\. If the desired item isn't in your Primary vault then one of two things might happen. If you have another matching Login based on URL it would use that or if nothing matches it would bring up the standard 1Password mini menu. You can then use ⌘2, switch to your secondary vault and if only one item matches it will fill it in straight away. So with a couple of keystrokes you can easily jump between vaults and allow yourself to not worry (to some degree) about where an item is.

Now that workflow may not work for you but I thought I'd mention it just in case it's something you weren't aware of.

Another suggestion that might help is if you were to use a tag for items that are duplicated. That way you would have a small visual indicator to remind you to copy an item over after any changes.

The last thing I'd like to add is just an FYI. We do have a bug where attachment deletions don't carry over if you copy or move as you're doing. Given it's deletions it could be a lot worse e.g. if additions weren't being copied over (just an example, that does work properly). That and of course there is no confirmation on overwriting so with your approach so in theory you could overwrite a good item with a bad one and there would be no way to recover it. Just things I thought you'd like to be aware of.

This discussion has been closed.