Unable to log in to 1Password vault on Windows or 1P Anywhere

Options

Hello,

I'm using 1Password on a Windows PC, a Mac laptop, an iPhone, and a Linux desktop (via 1Password Anywhere), with the files synced via Dropbox. This morning I am suddenly unable to open the vault on Windows or 1Password Anywhere.

The 1Password Anywhere shows the following message:
Problem loading 1Password data file
A key data file could not be loaded and 1PasswordAnywhere cannot continue without it.
Please see this help guide for troubleshooting tips.

The Windows machine gives this error:
Unable to unlock 1Password vault.
Your 1Password Vault could not be unlocked with the password you provided.
Please verify the password and try again.

I followed the troubleshooting tips on the help guide linked from the 1PA page, and the system is looking for the following file:
https://dl-web.dropbox.com/get/apps/1password/1Password.agilekeychain//data/contents.js

I'm unable to find contents.js on any of my boxes, and since I can't log into Windows I can't try the Repair step. However, I know I've got the master password right because I can open it on other devices.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Comments

• Safety_Monkey
    Safety_Monkey
    Community Member
    Options

As a minor update, I was able to find file history for contents.js on Dropbox; it looks like it was deleted yesterday on my Windows PC but I certainly didn't take any direct action. I restored the file but I'm still getting the errors, even though that file is now found.

• Safety_Monkey
    Safety_Monkey
    Community Member
    Options

Okay, after copying the file into BOTH the data/ and data/default folders I can open 1Password anywhere, but the Windows version is still locked.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2015
    Options

That URL looks a little off—the contents.js file should be a folder further down.

If you click on the Dropbox icon in the Windows system tray (notification area), click on the dropbox.com link, click on the 1password link on your private dropbox.com web site, click on the 1Password.agilekeychain link, click on the data link, and click on the default link (working your way down into your vault's file hierarchy), do you see the contents.js file listed there?

It should look something like this:

Is this (your private dropbox.com web site) where you tried opening the 1Password.html file, to use 1PasswordAnywhere?

• Safety_Monkey
    Safety_Monkey
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, that's how I get to it. Restoring contents.js to the "default" directory fixed the 1Password Anywhere issue (and I agree, it's weird that the URL given wasn't the "default" directory). I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling 1Password on my Windows box, no dice.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2015
    Options

I assume you restored it from Dropbox. Is that correct? [UPDATE: You answered that while I was composing my previous reply. Sorry.]

At any rate, its absence is why you couldn't open your vault or view it through 1PasswordAnywhere. Because it's a .js file, which some "defensive" software assumes is malicious, are you running any antivirus or similar software on your PC that might've deleted it or quarantined that file?

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Also, now that the contents.js file is back where it belongs, and (presumably) Dropbox has synced that restoration to your PC, are you able to open your vault in 1Password for Windows?

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    Options

1Password for Windows does not need contents.js. It does need encryptionKeys.js, however. Maybe this has been deleted from your Dropbox, too? At this point, it might be wise to restore a recent backup.

since I can't log into Windows I can't try the Repair step

You do not need to unlock your vault for this. You can repair your vault without the need to unlock it.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Assuming your vault is complete in 1Password for Mac, you should be able to create a new .agilekeychain folder on your Mac by disabling Dropbox syncing in 1Password for Mac, accepting the offer to delete your data from Dropbox, re-enabling Dropbox syncing in 1Password for Mac, allowing Dropbox to sync the new data to your PC, and opening the new .agilekeychain folder in 1Password for Windows. (You might also need to reset Dropbox syncing on your iPhone, after this action.)

This discussion has been closed.