New to 1Password 5 for iOS 8. Questions about generating passwords for pre-existing accounts.

hassiman
hassiman
Community Member
edited January 2015 in iOS

Hi,
I just downloaded the latest 1Password 5 onto my iPhone 6. I really love how 1Password will generate complex passwords for the websites I log into frequently like Amazon, Gmail etc.

I was wondering how this works with pre-existing accounts for which I already have a password such as the Gmail account I use on my iPhone or logging onto my HTTP Hotmail account? My Gmail comes directly to my phone through MAIL but I access HotMail through the Safari browser on my iPhone.

If I have 1Password generate new complex passwords for Gmail Login and HotMail Login will Gmail & HotMail no longer work on my iPhone? What do I do if I want to access either account when I am away from my iPhone or my Mac?

Thanks

Comments

• vbons
    vbons
    Community Member

if you are using gmail or mail on the iPhone, in google you will need to configure an app password (you will need to login into google account settings), then go to section signing in and their you will see App Passwords..follow the bouncing ball very straight forward.
    As with hotmail which has been migrated to outlook, go to your account, go to security and privacy, click on manage advanced security, look for "app passwords" you will need to create a new app password only if you have two-step authentication turned on...which by the way is recommended. Google authenticator app will be required for outlook however.

• vbons
    vbons
    Community Member

update ... As with hotmail which has been migrated to outlook, go to your account, go to security and privacy, click on manage advanced security, look for "app passwords" you will need to create a new app password only if you have two-step authentication turned on...which by the way is recommended. 1password will work., Google Authenticator will also work but hey put it in 1password. scan the QR-code via the iPhone. i did the work on my mac, and captured the QR-code on my iPhone.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

@vbons, thanks for the detailed steps to change Google and Hotmail/Outlook passwords!

@hassiman, one thing to remember is that when you change a password, you'll need to make that change on the website as well as in 1Password. We have steps to change a saved password in this User Guide article.

If you're also using the Mac version of 1Password, it might be easier to do this on your Mac by following the steps in this article instead.

If you change your Gmail password, you'll need to update the Mail app settings on your iPhone (Settings.app > Mail, Contacts, Calendars).

I hope this helps, but let us know if you have more questions! :)

• hassiman
    hassiman
    Community Member

Thanks guys... I will need to RTFM this weekend. The great thing about 1Password is it generates incredibly complex, almost unhackable passwords. The bad this is that it generates incredibly complex passwords 8-).

So I seem to bve hearing that I need to turn 2 step authentication on and then somehow make sure that my Gmail account's password matches the one generated by 1Password... and this can be transferred by QR code?

What about accessing my existing Amazon account? My PayPal Account and eBay? Same deal or am I misunderstanding the process....?

I apologize for having such a slow learning curve....

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @hassiman,

No problem, we're always happy to help! Sometimes it can seem complicated at first, but I'm sure you'll get the hang of it in no time, and it'll seem much easier.

Changing your login password for a website is different than setting up a One-Time Password in 1Password. vbons mentioned two-step verification as a potential part of making changes to your Hotmail/Outlook account, but you don't need to turn that on in order to change your login password. To avoid confusion, I would start by simply following the steps to change a saved password if you want stronger passwords for Gmail, Hotmail, etc. Once you do that for a couple of your Logins, it should make a lot more sense.

Later, if you're interested in using two-step verification for some website accounts and want to set up a one-time password for those Logins in 1Password, you can find more information here: Setting up one-time passwords (Pro Feature)

Two-step verification and one-time passwords are an extra level of security for websites that support them, but you don't need to worry about setting that up in 1Password yet. For now, it's a good idea to check out the basics of 1Password in our User Guide. I think that will help answer questions you may have about logging into websites and apps like Amazon, PayPal, and others. If you have more questions about that, please let us know - we're here for you!

This discussion has been closed.