AutoFill (Coming from LastPass to 1Password)

Options
BruceWeinstein
BruceWeinstein
Community Member

Hi,

I am coming from LastPass where it autofills username and password when going to a site. Does 1Password have this ability and where do you set parameter to function this way?

Or do you have detailed link of where I can go to read up on how it works.

Thanks and look forward to your reply.

Comments

• vplewis
    vplewis
    Community Member
    Options

1Password>Preferences>Browser> [ ✔︎ ] Automatically submit logins after filling. If you use Cmd-\ while in the browser window calling for for the password, this will fill and submit with one command. HTH
    —V

• BruceWeinstein
    BruceWeinstein
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the tip. However does 1P have ability to fill login fields without using CMD-\? For instance can 1P determine the web page you are on and then automatically login without any input from user?

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

Only if you select the Login entry from the browser extension or 1Password Mini, or click Open and Fill from 1Password. It's a security thing.

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

AgileBits folks believe that their product should never submit credentials to a site without the user acting to have it happen. I think that's a wise choice, and CMD+\ is really easy. Others, of course, think differently.

• MikeT
    edited January 2015
    Options

Hi @BruceWeinstein,

We considered this to be a security risk to automate the filling without the user's intervention. This was confirmed by a security research paper late last year where they were able to grab credentials of multiple sites by simply infecting the website and redirecting the user to multiple sites in a row and grabbing whatever is filled in.

We are listening to a lot of users who are asking to make this at least optional, we could make a warning about enabling this option, and this could happen in the future for 1Password.

ref: OPM-303

This discussion has been closed.