Problem upgrading from v4 to v5 -- backup and support files stay under 1P4

Options
michael34
michael34
Community Member

I just upgraded to Yosemite, and then from 1P4 to 1P 5.1. I'd no like to remove all the 1P4 files from my computer. Problem is that all backups and apparently other config files continue to be stored under ~/Library/Application Support/1Password 4. Indeed, installing 1P5.1 did not create any 1Password 5 folder under ~/Library Application Support. What's the deal? As I said, I want to uninstall 1P4, and remove all the files that are only associated with that, so I'm left with just 1P5. Do I just delete the 1P4 app, and take the 1Password 4 folder in Application Support and rename it to "1Password 5"? Or what?

Comments

• MikeT
    edited January 2015
    Options

Hi @michael34,

Problem is that all backups and apparently other config files continue to be stored under ~/Library/Application Support/1Password 4

That's not a problem, 1Password 5 does not use different data formats nor different folder names, it in fact reuses the same folders as 1Password 4.

As I said, I want to uninstall 1P4, and remove all the files that are only associated with that,

There is no need to do this. 1Password 5 is the direct update to 1Password 4, just redesigned for Yosemite and further OS versions. There is zero benefit of removing traces of 1Password 4.

Are you asking to start over with 1Password as a clean app without any data? Doing so will still recreate 1Password 4 data structure.

• michael34
    michael34
    Community Member
    Options

Thx. I just find it odd that all the support/backjp files are in a folder labeled "1Password 4," even though they're now support files for 1P 5. In fact, if I rename the folder to just plain old "1 Password" 1P 5 not only can't recognize it, but it re-creates a "1Password 4" folder in ~/Application Support.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @michael34

The location of the files changed after 1Password 3 (which was using a folder titled 1Password) because the files, storage format etc. - it all changed. Now none of this changed between 4 and 5 so we left it where it was to allow for a seamless transition between the versions. It's probably best not to dwell on it though as I get the sneaky suspicion it will only annoy you. It does mean though that if for some reason you were unhappy with 1Password 5 you could trash the application and revert to 1Password 4. Personally though you'd have to pry 5.1 out of my cold dead hands because I'm a Wi-Fi sync fan and I love the new Wi-Fi Server additions.

• thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    Options

@littlebobbytables

It does mean though that if for some reason you were unhappy with 1Password 5 you could trash the application and revert to 1Password 4

I never thought of that reasoning, and it makes much more sense to me now. Thanks.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Well I don't think that was the intention, merely a byproduct of that decision decision. Who wouldn't want to be running 1Password 5? :)

This discussion has been closed.