One-time password Setup gone, can't login anymore....

cybermat
cybermat
Community Member
edited January 2015 in iOS

I set up 1Password to generate my one-time passwords for my Github account a few days ago. I've checked the the login afterwards and all worked fine. Today i wanted to login into my github account (on desktop), entered my authentication details with 1password, opened 1password on my iPhone to get a one-time password but the one-time password setup for this login was gone! It looks like i've never set it up for using one-time passwords. As a result i can't log in anymore in my Github account. What can I do now to get back into my account?

Comments

• thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    edited January 2015

@cybermat

I am not sure what the staff can do, they can work magic at times. So Ill let them chime in.

GitHub provides for a set of backup (recovery) codes. Do you not have those codes for emergency situations ? It also provides for a fallback SMS number in case of TOTP failure did you have that enabled ?

An alternate solution you maybe able to restore to a backup of 1Password when you had the code intact. I don't know if its a viable alternative or if you have made a lot of changes since the last backup.

As for me personally. I always keep a Virtual Machine of my current OS with a copy of 1Password in it. If I ever need to grab something from a backup I fire up the Virtual Machine and drag the backup file into it. Then restore from it inside the Virtual Machine.

This prevents me from overwriting all my valuable data in my working copy with a possibly older backup with lots of lost changes.

• cybermat
    cybermat
    Community Member

I realize that agilebits cannot fix my github account. I was very frustrated that the one-time password feature from 1Password didn't work.
    I didn't remember that i set up fallback SMS number for my Github-Account, so i could restored my login.

• benmosher
    benmosher
    Community Member

I have just seen this behavior as well. As soon as I save the login, the OTP config seems to disappear after navigating away (i.e. out to the login list), then back.

Also noteworthy: I have a hunch this has something to do with having extra fields (custom section) in my GitHub login; when I went to try a test OTP in a login with just user+pass+URL, I get a crash every time I type "test" and hit Next on the iOS keyboard. (my gut says this is probably due to something wanting "otp://..." in that field and not getting it...)

Additional data: on a simpler login, there is the "add new OTP" line, but in my Github login, the section was already present when I went to edit (which is how I discovered the feature existed at all). I suspect this may be contributing to the disappearance.

• benmosher
    benmosher
    Community Member
    edited February 2015

Additional fun fact: I was able to associate Google's test TOTP string (attached at end) with a simpler login (no extra sections), but not to my GitHub account. Same disappearing behavior.

Also... now I can't remove it from the simple login. It keeps being re-added as a "Conflicts" section.

So I suspect there is a sync issue lurking beneath this...

Test string: (otpauth://totp/Example:name@google.com?secret=XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX&issuer=Example) [Edited by Drew_AG]

• benmosher
    benmosher
    Community Member

(hopefully) final update: third time was the charm, and I was able to remove it from the simple login.

Makes me wonder if I couldn't make it stick to GitHub by repeated attempts, similarly... but the whole exercise doesn't infuse me with confidence, heh.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2015

Hi @cybermat and @benmosher,

The problem with the one-time password not being saved in your Login item is a known issue, and our developers are working to fix that. I'm very sorry for the inconvenience! In the meantime, the workaround is to change the "Section name" field when adding the one-time password, as described in this post.

@benmosher, the problem with the "Conflicts" section appearing when trying to make an edit is also an issue we're working on (it's just an unfortunately coincidence that it happened while testing the TOTP issue).

By the way, I edited your message to remove the secret code from the TOTP string, since that is similar to posting a password publicly. If you've removed that TOTP from the Login item, no problem. Otherwise, you may want to redo that using a different code.

I'm sorry again for the inconvenience! If you need help with anything else, please let us know.

ref: OPI-2249
    ref: OPI-2251

This discussion has been closed.