Problems with Master Password [Moved to email]

Options
rojaan
rojaan
Community Member
edited February 2015 in Mac

Hello, I have just purchased 1Password for MAC from the App Store. When I open the app it detects that I have already set a master password which I set this when I purchased 1Password for iOS last week (I haven't started using the app though). When I enter the Master Password it is not recognised, I am definitely entering the same password as I setup on my iPhone as I logged out on my iPhone and logged back in again and it worked okay. I performed all the steps in https://guides.agilebits.com/1password-mac-kb/5/en/topic/starting-over but the problem still persists. Can you please help. Kind regards.

Comments

• Hi @rojaan,

Is it possible that you ever downloaded/ran 1Password from our website? You may want to follow those same Starting Over steps, but go to the locations it gives for the Webstore version of 1Password. If you have data there (~/Library/Application Support/1Password 4), upon running 1Password from the Mac App Store for the first time (or after a starting over), that data gets copied into the Mac App Store version's location. It's meant as a way to allow people to switch from one install kind to the other easily. But in some cases it can make Starting Over a real pain.

If that's not the case, then let us know and we can look at other options for what could be going on here.

Rick

• rojaan
    rojaan
    Community Member
    Options

Update on my problem. I initially created a master password using the iOS app, then decided to change it to something else. So I tried the original password in 1Password for MAC and it accepted it. How is this possible as it was getting it from the iCloud? I then changed the master password via 1Password for MAC to the same as it is on the iOS app. Is this acceptable? Would really like to understand why the master password in iCloud was different to that on my iOS device. Kind regards.

• rojaan
    rojaan
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Rick, thank you for the quick response. I had previously installed it from your website and on first experiencing this problem followed the instructions I found on another discussion. The strange thing as that the master passwords were different. Anyway it seems to have been resolved now by my changing the password on 1Password for MAC.
    I have another issue now... I just accidentally downloaded 1Password for MAC on my MB Air under a different Apple ID. I wasn't aware that I was logged in under the different user. So now I have paid twice for the product, how can I get a refund?

• rojaan
    rojaan
    Community Member
    Options

I have two MacBooks, a MB Pro and an MB Air both running the latest version Yosemite and an iPhone 6 running the latest iteration of iOS 8. I recently purchased 1Password 5 (version 5.1) for Mac and 1Password for iOS (Version 5.2). I am utilising iCloud to sync 1Password across devices. I initially imported data from Lastpass and eWallet onto my MB Pro, this was then synced across the other two devices, however when I added a new credit card to 1Password on my MB Pro it was not synced across devices, even when I initiated a manual sync it still did not appear. The two versions of 1Password for Mac are fresh installs from the App Store, I had previously installed them from the agilebits website but then totally removed them using the recommended method documented in https://guides.agilebits.com/1password-mac-kb/5/en/topic/starting-over. I am using the same iCloud account across all 3 devices. Can you please help? as you can see I have already invested quite a bit of time (and money) in 1Password and would obviously like it to work seamlessly. Thank you in advance.

• MikeT
    edited January 2015
    Options

Hi @rojaan,

So I tried the original password in 1Password for MAC and it accepted it. How is this possible as it was getting it from the iCloud?

When you created a new data file, it also created the encryption key that is encrypted by the master password you picked and it gets pushed to iCloud. However, it is possible that when you change your master password, the app did not push the same encryption key file but re-encrypted with the new password. That's why the app can still decrypt your data with the older password, the encryption key remains the same through the master password changes.

Can you double check to make sure your changes are showing up in both directions? If not, that would explain why the file didn't sync over.

I have another issue now... I just accidentally downloaded 1Password for MAC on my MB Air under a different Apple ID. I wasn't aware that I was logged in under the different user. So now I have paid twice for the product, how can I get a refund?

All sales at the Mac and iOS App stores are managed by Apple, to get a refund, you'll need to contact iTunes support team. They usually understand this situation and should issue you a refund. Here's how to contact them: https://www.apple.com/support/itunes/contact/. Explain carefully what happened and they should take care of you.

• rojaan
    rojaan
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Mike, before you replied to my thread I raised another entitled '1Password for OS X and iOS not syncing across devices' as syncing is not working properly across my devices. Can you assist please? Kind regards. (PS. I contacted Apple and they were very helpful, thank you).

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @rojaan

Can you try the following please.

1. Create a test item on your MBP with 'MBP' in the title
    2. Create a test item on your MBA with 'MBA' in the title
    3. Create a test item on your iPhone with 'iPhone' in the title

Besides the device where the item was created, do any of them appear on the others? e.g. MBA item appears on the iPhone. This will help determine if iCloud simply doesn't seem to be working at all or if it's a specific machine having issues. With this knowledge we'll know a little more of what's going on and continue the troubleshooting process from there.

• rojaan
    rojaan
    Community Member
    Options

Hello, thank you for the reply. I did as you said and the MBA and iPhone synced so I can see the secure notes I created for these two on both devices. MBP did not appear on either of these and MBA and iPhone did not appear on MBP. Kind regards.

• MikeT
    edited January 2015
    Options

Hi @rojaan,

before you replied to my thread I raised another entitled '1Password for OS X and iOS not syncing across devices' as syncing is not working properly across my devices.

Ah, thanks for telling me. I've merged both threads into this one, so we can stay on the same page. That may explain why the master password change didn't sync properly.

Can you assist please? Kind regards. (PS. I contacted Apple and they were very helpful, thank you).

It looks like Adam has followed up and you've replied, so we'll continue in this single thread now. Glad to hear Apple helped you out.

I did as you said and the MBA and iPhone synced so I can see the secure notes I created for these two on both devices.

That's great news.

MBP did not appear on either of these and MBA and iPhone did not appear on MBP. Kind regards.

Ok, first thing first. iCloud sync is based on your AppleID. So, if your AppleID on MBA and iPhone is different from the MacBook Pro, that would absolutely explain the problem.

Can you tell me if you've changed the AppleID back to the same one on MBP and all three devices are using the same AppleID or is the MBP still using a different AppleID?

On the Mac, you can find out which AppleID is signed in for iCloud by going to the System Preferences > iCloud.

• rojaan
    rojaan
    Community Member
    Options

Hi, I have checked and I am using the same iCloud account on all three devices and this has not been changed since I initially set up iCloud. When I initially set up 1Password on my MBP I migrated my Lastpass data over and this appeared on all devices then when I added an additional credit card on my MBP it did not appear on the other devices. Sorry, probably not what you wanted to hear. Kind regards.

• MikeT
    edited February 2015
    Options

Hi @rojaan,

Can you save a text file into your iCloud Drive on MBP and see if it shows up on MBA.

If yes, please email us your diagnostic report from the MBP to support+forum@agilebits.com with a link to this thread.

Let me know when you sent it, so I can look for it.

Thanks!

• rojaan
    rojaan
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Mike,

I have done as you suggested, I created a text file on my MBP using iCloud Drive (and iCloud). I was able to see this file on my MBA and my iPhone. I have sent you the diagnostics as requested in a separate email.

Kind regards

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @rojaan

I've found your email and somebody will be in touch soon regarding it.

Is syncing the only issue remaining at the moment?

ref: ZTZ-37266-339

• rojaan
    rojaan
    Community Member
    Options

Hi, yes it is the only outstanding issue. Best regards.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @rojaan,

Since we're working through this last issue directly via email, I'll close this thread, but if you have any further questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to open a new thread, or email us directly at support+forum@agilebits.com - we're here for you. :)

This discussion has been closed.