Confussed, which 1Passowrd should I buy & other security questions?

TERENCE
TERENCE
Community Member

Hi folks.
Could someone please help advise Mac user? (I am NOT IT literate so a simple explination would help).

I have a late 2006 iMac with OSX Lion 10.7.5 (due to change soon), a Mac Book Pro 2008 also running same OSX. In addition to this my wife & I have iPhone's & iPads. So 6 items in total.
1. I would like 1P to use on all of my Apple products. However, if I go to the app store on my** iMac** it gives a price of £39.99 but fails to give any information if I can use it on multiple machines.
If I go to the App store on my iPad there is no price shown OR information if I can use on multiple devices.
I am aware that I must use the App store rather than buying through AgileBits web site (I use iCloud & not dropbox).
2. If I install 1P should I turn of Keychain, could there be any conflicts?
3. When logging into my bank another popup shows up asking me to enter (random) '3rd 5th & 7th' letter or number of secondary password. Can 1Password fill this in? If not how do I know what the password is if 1P has generated it?

Any & all help would be greatfully received so many thanks in advance.
A novice.

Comments

• SurfnTurf
    SurfnTurf
    Community Member

From here:
    "Can I use apps from the Mac App Store on more than one computer?
    Apps from the Mac App Store may be used on any Macs that you own or control for your personal use."
    The same is true for apps purchased from the iTunes Store for use on iPhones, iPads and iPods touch.

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member

One more key regarding licenses sold by Apple: in order to install the application, you must be using the same Apple ID for purchases, or be a member of a Family Sharing group for the Mac version, but otherwise, you may indeed install it on as many Macs as you wish. For the iOS version, the Pro features, which you buy through an in-app purchase, require payment from each individual who is using a different Apple ID, regardless of family sharing status. Apple did not make in-app purchases eligible for family sharing. But again, if you are using the same Apple ID, you may install the Pro version on all of your iOS devices.

Concerning some of the other questions:

There is no price on the iOS version because it is free to download and use in its basic version, for as long as you wish. But, as I maintained, if you want the Pro features, you'll need to activate them through an in-app purchase.

I have turned off the iCloud keychain for remembering login information and rely solely on 1Password. But both can be used together, if you wish. You don't have to turn off the iCloud keychain. I've decided for myself that I don't want my credentials filled into a site unless I trigger that.

1Password has no way to automatically handle the password condition you describe where a random selection of characters in particular positions are requested. (I am not a developer, but coding that must be close to impossible.) What many users do is record the password in the notes section of the login record, grouping the characters of the full password by fives with spaces between each group. That makes it quicker to find the characters you've been asked for. Or, record the password and put numbers for each character under them in a line below, like this:

p a s s w o r d
    1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

This works best with monospaced character sets.

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator

Just to add regarding the questions.

1PW has to be unlocked (using your master password) in order to fill in login details, and when it is unlocked you can view the password for a site so as to determine the random characters.

You might want to turn off iCloud keychain, or maybe not, it is a personal choice. But you should NOT turn off the Mac keychain , as that contains information that you are likely to want to use automatically (email password, wifi password, etc.). You should turn off autofill on Safari or your preferred browser.

• TERENCE
    TERENCE
    Community Member

That's brilliant guys, Many thanks. I thought that 1P filled in passowrds but did not know that I could access & save them.
    So I won't have any problems with my old iMac & MBP running 'OS x Lion' either? (iPads & iPhones are all new & running latest software).
    What exactly is the 'Pro version'? Thats another £7.99, is it worth it for standard home use?
    I think I have been reading up on 1P too much & got confused.
    Once again many many thanks for your advice.

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member

You can read about the Pro features here. Whether you need to buy them or not depends entirely on how you plan to use the application and whether the extras seem worth the money. For me, there is no question; they are worth it.

I'm not going to try to tackle the issues you will likely have in syncing between your iPhone that is up to date in its iOS and your Macs on Lion. There will be limitations, though. I'll leave it to others who are more familiar with the issues to keep from misleading you. You won't be able to use iCloud, though. Things changed a lot when iOS 8 and Yosemite arrived.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @TERENCE,

I'm really glad the information from the others here was so helpful for you! :)

One thing I wanted to add about the Pro Features in 1Password 5 for iOS is that you don't need to decide right away if you want to buy them. 1Password 5 for iOS is free to download from the App Store, and it has free basic features. If you decide you'd like those additional Pro Features at some point, you can make the purchase then. For more information about the Pro Features, make sure you take a look at the link from hawkmoth's message (i.e. this one).

To address a few other questions that I don't think have been answered yet:

The version of 1Password that is currently sold in the Mac App Store is 1Password 5, which requires Mac OS X 10.10 (Yosemite). If your Macs are running OS X 10.7.5 (Lion), you'll need to use 1Password 3, which means a couple things:

• You won't be able to purchase 1Password from the Mac App Store, but you can buy a license from our web store instead (more about that below).
    • You won't be able to use iCloud sync, as that option was first available in 1Password 4. However, you can use Dropbox sync between 1Password 3 on your Mac and 1Password 5 on your iOS devices (please let us know if you need help to set that up).

You can download 1Password 3 for Mac from this site. You'll need to purchase a license for 1Password 5 for Mac from our web store, but that will come with a free license code for 1Password 3.

I hope that helps answer the rest of your questions! If we missed any, or if you have additional questions, please let us know - we're always happy to help!

This discussion has been closed.