NAS option local copy for syncing with all devices?

rocafella1978
rocafella1978
Community Member

hi all, I have a 24TB NAS and currently am looking for a solution for my family, my own business (2person operated) to sync via 1Password, happy to pay for the version I need to be able to sync on Windows, Mac and iOS devices...any recommendation how to get this done?
dropbox does not work past 16TB....I am a newbie and tech amateur, really could need some help.

Comments

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member

How many records are you planning to have in your database(s)? It would be amazing to have so much data that you would run into even the 2TB free allocation available from Dropbox. Each machine using 1Password will have a copy of its own data stored locally on that machine; you can't change that location.

You might be able to sync to your NAS by folder sync, but I've never used it, so if that's what you need, someone else will chime in.

• rocafella1978
    rocafella1978
    Community Member

hi there thank you so much for your reply and getting back to me, appreciate it. just wondering what I can do...thanks though for the input. I know, just got the NAS because of family photography over 20 years, we have about 10TB already...anyways, hope to find something.

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member

Maybe you could tell us a little more about what you're wanting to accomplish.

• rocafella1978
    rocafella1978
    Community Member

thank you or your help hawkmoth. I am trying to simplify password management for my family and my business for hundreds of websites we are using. For that I was thinking to use example: "dropbox" or similar on our office/ home NAS, and sync 1Password with our "NAS dropbox" across our devices, iPhones, iPads, Androids, Windows and Mac machines. (mac os, iOS and etc) and making sure, we use the 1Password password generator to ensure good and strong passwords. and since I spent a good amount on the large (24TB) NAS because we just have a lot of family pictures (mainly) and other documents we use already "Owncloud" successfully here, works great for us , didn't want to spend $$$ again on another device just to have "dropbox" work. maybe there is no other solution, I don't know yet. but certainly happy and glad to listen and hear out professionals, experts and IT professionals in this matter.
    thank you again and appreciate your help in advance.

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    edited January 2015

You do understand that you don't need to spend money on any more devices to use Dropbox? It is software and servers "in the cloud." And if you and your folks only use it for keeping all those devices synced together, it is unlikely any 1Password database would exceed the 2GB allocation that is free.

There have been many requests in the forum for AgileBits to add OwnCloud support for syncing, but so far, iCloud and Dropbox are the only supported cloud solutions.

All this seems separate to me from your need to manage terabytes of photo files.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @rocafella1978‌

Thanks for considering 1Password to simplify your password management. I think there might be some misunderstanding about what 'Dropbox' is. Dropbox is not a device that you have to buy, it is a service that allows you to sync all the files inside your designated Dropbox folder on your computer to the cloud. In fact, it is free to sign up for a basic account. Now, the free account won't allow you to sync all of your family's data and photos to the cloud, but there's no need to switch everything from your current NAS set-up if it is working for you. There is a paid upgrade for Dropbox to provide you with more space, but if you're using Dropbox primarily to sync your 1Password data, it would be nearly impossible to create a keychain database large enough to fill all of the space in the free account.

Dropbox really is a great solution for syncing 1Password data, particularly if you have iPhones, iPads, Androids, Windows and Mac. Dropbox will ensure that your data is synced automatically across all these platforms.

We are very confident about storing 1Password data in the cloud, as your data file is encrypted with an exceedingly secure encryption algorithm called AES. Even if someone were to acquire a copy of your 1Password data file, it would be extremely difficult (approaching impossible in a human lifetime) for them to actually gain access to your passwords without your Master Password. In short, we believe it is just as secure as having the data on your laptop. To learn more about cloud data security, have a read through our Knowledgebase article on Cloud Security.

And you can see the thoughts behind our data format's design here.

Also, you can check out our blog for many more articles that go into the nitty gritty math behind what makes 1Password so secure.

I hope this helps, but we're here if you have any further questions or concerns!

• rocafella1978
    rocafella1978
    Community Member

thank you both for your replies and great details provided, unfortunately I would have liked to install "dropbox" on my private home/ office NAS and have 1Password use that account/ use that dropbox instead of the "somewhere" dropbox server syncing. but will look at my options, and might try that after all, not sure yet. will read and educate myself first and of course with the information you both provided. can't thank you enough, very kind and very professional!

• rocafella1978
    rocafella1978
    Community Member

also the problem is, you can't install "Dropbox" on a NAS larger than 16TB that is why I pointed it out, hope didn't confuse you with all the writing.

• rocafella1978
    rocafella1978
    Community Member

@hawkmoth‌ : large family, across the world, military family and everyone want's access and we are combining our big family into "ONE SPACE" at least trying...I know maybe hard to understand or not everyone does the same, but we want to try at least.

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    edited January 2015

Well, if you want to include a password management solution in the family consolidation of data, it looks like 1Password currently won't suit you. I'm not sure why a mixed solution, which would involve shared Dropbox folders, would not work for you, unless you have an objection to putting anything out on someone else's server. The Dropbox software itself can reside on each individual's machine with very little overhead. No need to use the NAS at all. But you know your own needs and objectives. I'd be interested to know what you eventually settle on that meets your needs.

• rocafella1978
    rocafella1978
    Community Member

i completely see your point, and it was exactly the point you mentioned to have it on our own device rather than outside on someone's server. trying to get my head wrapped around all this, and something which was discussed with family but really understand your point and will keep you posted.

• Some interesting discussion here. :) If there is anything else the Agile team can assist with please let us know.

• bbdmn
    bbdmn
    Community Member

@Megan "We believe it is just as secure as having the data on your laptop". Sorry but there is nothing such as completely secure cloud and nothing such as completely safe encryption… Please listen to your customers and consider self hosting!

• jhorsman
    jhorsman
    Community Member
    edited January 2015

Ever thought of mapping a network drive from the NAS and then have 1PW do Sync to Folder? Might need some finagling on each client, but should do what you want. Also, since your looking at a NAS solution, might have a problem for external connectivity, but I am under the assumption this was decided to be "Ok"

• jhorsman
    jhorsman
    Community Member

Update: Made it work with desktop clients for fun.. As for iOS, I don't use iOS for PW's so good luck.

• bbdmn
    bbdmn
    Community Member

Yes I know — thanks for the workaround! Not really satisfactory though, because of mobile devices lacking the ability to sync that way.
    I was just pointing out that Syncing on a NAS is a reasonable request; it shouldn't be dismissed on the base that "the cloud is secure". By principle, I prefer to be paranoid than sorry, and I guess that people working on a security software could understand that. This now has been a quite long-awaited feature, probably not so hard to implement. So, once again: please!

• jhorsman
    jhorsman
    Community Member

Well in mobile device land.. Quick check around shows me this.. https://guides.agilebits.com/1password-mac/5/en/topic/sync-wi-fi Perhaps no?

• jhorsman
    jhorsman
    Community Member

Only problem is, it is 1PW 5 - Which is 10.10 only.. I got to use 4 since I am in mavericks. But there is options running around methinks. All depends on how you want to implement it.

• jhorsman
    jhorsman
    Community Member
    edited January 2015

As for android, I think owncloud or file sync app be used for syncing file level and then have android target it device side since it is not as restrictive as IOS when it comes to storage. https://guides.agilebits.com/1password-android/4/en/topic/settings-sync

Edit: I will also leave this here because it does give some warnings as well in regards to folder sync. Especially with NAS availiblity (Murphy can kick in if it goes down, but each has is to its own when it comes to implantation there with in home NAS solutions.), etc. But it does show how to use some sync solutions that are "Out of the Box" and will help everyone in regards to the issue.

https://guides.agilebits.com/1password-mac/5/en/topic/sync-folder

Side note: I am just a wandering IT Worker. I cannot make any guarantees since I do not know the deployments involved for your storage solutions or client deployments. Just make sure what is acceptable in risk verses the benefits you receive. And have good backups. I just get the itchy feeling when, "It can't be done."

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @bbdmn,

If you're looking for a way to avoid the cloud, I would suggest a combination of Folder Sync for your desktops, and Wi-Fi to sync from your desktop to your iOS devices. (Similar to what has already been suggested by @jhorsman‌ here). We know that some users prefer to keep their data off the cloud, and we are working on improving the available options for local sync.

Thanks so much for the feedback here!

• rocafella1978
    rocafella1978
    Community Member

update: ended up getting TS-269L and installing dropbox on there sync with 1password, all works and was sadly $$$ investment, but there seemed not to be another way to get this done, since my main NAS drive is larger than 16TB and there is no dropbox for ARM, otherwise I would have used it on my TS-120...that was the quick update to the initial inquiry I had. so did not find another solution.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @rocafella1978 ,

Thanks for sending along the update!

This discussion has been closed.